What's new

Following potential 2017 draftees...

Cal has been mtg with JVanderbilt a lot recently.
Everyone WAY prefers Rawle over Kobi, but Rawle seems destined to State, so I was speaking in terms of predictions more so than wish lists.
Cal turned up the heat on Gabriel big time about three weeks ago. Don't feel great about getting him, but there's a shot.

Btw, Cal has also surprisingly gone strong after all
Of Giles, Bam, and Bolden of late.

Cal has been mtg with JVanderbilt a lot recently.
Everyone WAY prefers Rawle over Kobi, but Rawle seems destined to State, so I was speaking in terms of predictions more so than wish lists.
Cal turned up the heat on Gabriel big time about three weeks ago. Don't feel great about getting him, but there's a shot.

Btw, Cal has also surprisingly gone strong after all
Of Giles, Bam, and Bolden of late.

That's great news. I'd happily concede missing on a few other targets to have him aboard.

If I could ask Coach Cal 1 question, it'd be "Is it just a coincidence you're recruiting all these lefties?" Vanderbilt was the first prospect from 2017 I posted on JF, I think I dropped a few posts on him before anyone else

Since there's no 2018 thread, ima leave these here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURbQcc09AQ

That's great news. I'd happily concede missing on a few other targets to have him aboard.

If I could ask Coach Cal 1 question, it'd be "Is it just a coincidence you're recruiting all these lefties?" Vanderbilt was the first prospect from 2017 I posted on JF, I think I dropped a few posts on him before anyone else

Cal loves lefties. He has some progressive coaching strategies for defense and rebounding, in particular, that he loves to teach. Works best with two lefties on the floor. I admit I don't really get the technical aspects of it though.

Been looking for some clarity on these bigs with UK offers for some time. I'm sure its still a layered/complicated/tangled situation. Isaac Humphries is now a factor and that's relatively new.

Obviously things get held up waiting for the Giles domino to fall..

(If Ayton's a possibility to re-classify, that's worth waiting on too. Seems logical - It's clearly a decision that could lead to millions.. because he's old enough to be eligible for the 2017 draft)

Bolden just announced he's rescheduling his Kansas visit. Which could mean something, or nothing. Seems kinda ominous though reading that after seeing that Cal's turned up the heat.

This loaded question remains;

Do they think Bam and Bolden are better(projects OR players) than Jarrett Allen/Thon Maker/Azubuike, or is it just there's more mutual interest with the first 2??

M.J Cage who held a Kentucky offer. Commits to Oregon. His father, Michael, was once known as the man with the best Jheri Curl in the NBA

cage-header-110809.jpg

How'd the visit go??? FWIW - The Jazz could probably use a player like Wenyen Gabriel too (I'd argue that most teams would though..)

CPnjwbAUcAI3RD8.jpg

The visit was great. Gabriel told Cal he had never seen basketball treated so business-like as what he saw at UK.
He said it was eye-opening to see UK treat it like Steve Jobs treated Apple.

The visit was great. Gabriel told Cal he had never seen basketball treated so business-like as what he saw at UK.
He said it was eye-opening to see UK treat it like Steve Jobs treated Apple.

I gotta say, just like Porzingis. I love the way Gabriel answers questions, he's gotta be pretty damn smart. Like I said before, he's certainly capable of telling everyone exactly what they want to hear.

I'm starting to feel a bit more confident about Harry Giles to UK.. Which could result in 5 #1 picks from UK in an 8 draft span..

thon-maker-sju.jpg

St. Johns trying to go after Thon Maker?

Asked if he could see himself playing there, he said, “Yeah, St. John’s I’m still learning about them, but of course.”

Maker has recently has home visits with Arizona State head coach Bobby Hurley and Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey. Kentucky, Florida State, Tennessee, Iowa State and Indiana are also calling, Smith said.

UMass with a MAJOR recruiting pull, landing 6'5" PG/SG DeJon Jerreau, from New Orleans - Rivals has him #39 in this class. He's part of a package deal a fringe top-100 player, Brison Gresham is a 6'9" PF also from NO. Umass already has a 3-star recruit on board, Unique McClean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru8b2USq4_g

If Jerreau were to improve his strength and shooting, he'd find himself squarely on NBA radars.

Rutgers can end up a solid B10 team in a few seasons - they've built some momentum(in-part from the T.V. deal).

Issa Thiam a 6'9" Senegalese SF prospect who rebounds and apparently can shoot 3's is supposed to be leaning their way. Which would be another interesting piece..

If they can land a big like Taurean Thompson they might really put together a solid crew/foundation, with enough size/athleticism to surprise opponents.

Updated 2017 mock. I have Thon back in the top-4.

1 - Harry Giles 6'10 PF - Undeclared
2 - De'Aaron Fox 6'4 - PG - Undeclared
3 - Josh Jackson 6'7" SG/SF - Undeclared
4 - Thon Maker 7'1" PF - Undeclared
5 - Jonathan Isaac 6'10" SF - FSU
6 - Markelle Fultz 6'5" PG/SG - Washington
7 - Wenyen Gabriel 6'9½" SF/PF - Undeclared
8 - Malik Monk 6'3½" SG - Undeclared
9 - Rawle Alkins 6'4 SG/PG - Undeclared
10 - Frank Ntilikina 6'5" PG - France
11 - Dennis Smith Jr 6'2" PG - N.C. State
12 - Frank Jackson 6'3" SG/PG - Duke
13 - Jayson Tatum 6'8" SF - Duke
14 - Edrice Adebayo 6'9" PF - Undeclared
15 - Omer Yurtseven 6'11 PF/C - Turkey
16 - Rodions Kurucs 6'8" SF - Latvia
17 - Miles Bridges 6'7" SF - Undeclared(Oct. 3rd announcement)
18 - Isaiah Hartenstein 6'11" PF - Germany
19 - Jarrett Allen 6'10" PF - Undeclared
20 - Terrance Furgeson 6'7" SG - Alabama
21 - Sacha Killeya-Jones 6'11" - Kentucky
22 - Ivica Zubac 7' C - Croatia
23 - Isaac Humphries 7' C - Kentucky
24 - Marques Bolden 6'10" PF - Undeclared
25 - Allonzo Trier 6'4" SG/PG - Arizona
26 - Justin Jackson 6'7" SF - UNLV
27 - Tadas Sedekerskis 6'8" SF - Lithuania
28 - Thomas Bryant 6'10" PF - Indiana
29 - Lauri Markannen 6'11" PF - Finland/Undeclared
30 - Jalen Brunson 6'1" PG - Villanova

Honorable mention:

Lonzo Ball - PG (UCLA)
Andrew Jones - PG/SG -Undeclared
Josh Langford - SG (MSU)
Cassius Winston - PG (MSU)
Kobi Simmons - PG - Undeclared
Dewan Huell - PF - Undeclared
Mustapha Heron - SF (Auburn)
V.J. King - SF - (Louisville)
Javin DeLaurier - PF - (Duke)
Antonio Blakeney- SG (LSU)
Tyler Dorsey - SG/PG (Oregon)
Luke Kennard- SG(Duke)
Caleb Swanigan- PF(Purdue)
Ante Zizic- C(Croatia)
Donovann Mitchell- SG/PG(Louisville)
Devin Robinson- SF/PF(Florida)
E.C. Matthews- SG(Rhode Island)
Nik Slavica- SF(Croatia)
Diego Flaccadori- PG/SG(Italy)
Kostja Mushidi- SG(Belgium)
Carlton Bragg - F (Kansas)
Deyonta Davis - PF (MSU)
Derrick Jones - SF (UNLV)
Charles Matthews- SG/SF (Kentucky)
Jawun Evans- PG (Oklahoma St.)
Justin Simon- G (Arizona)
Dedric Lawson - F (Memphis)
Steve Enoch - PF (UConn)

:cool:

CQPiZnPWwAAD8LH.png:large

I think this is my first mention of Gabriel on JF, from almost exactly 2 months ago when he first blew up (was in the 2016 thread).

Back to 2016 though, Wenyen Gabriel looks absolutely out of this world, I wanted to stop by and bring that up. I think he's at-least on par with Miles Bridges and Jonathan Isaac, I suspect he's a lottery or top-10 pick. Put him on a loaded team and he's gonna shine even brighter IMO. I actually think he's got a decent chance to end up as the top Wing from this class, even over Josh Jackson..

Gabriel is the type of PF you can put at SF, he's got the ballskills, shooting and the athleticism in spades. He runs the floor like a truely elite athlete for that size, crazy long strides, He shows great balance body control and timing on boards and blocks, He will cause all sorts of mismatches anywhere on the court. PKM - please tell me it's not a foregone conclusion he's going to Duke. He looks like the goods.

I actually posted his video in the 2018 draft thread, because he's obviously very skinny for a 1 and done. UK was certainly the right choice for him, no other team will get him ready for what he was saying he wanted, like UK will.

He's also probably Cal's best SF NBA prospect, I love MKG, Gabriel has more upside though, for sure.

Gabriel reminds me of Aminu, just a bit skinnier. Makes sense why PGAB loves him since also likes Aminu. If he can be Aminu, but actually develop ball skills, he can be great.