What's new

Following potential 2017 draftees...

What's the status of the pick owed to the Jazz by OKC? Is that a first rounder to be conveyed next year, or did it revert to a couple 2nd rounders down the road?

Keep an eye on Jonah Bolden in the 2nd round, Australian PF playing in Europe. He's more skilled than Jordan Bell as an energy big, and he shoots as confidently as DJ Wilson, giving him more upside. He could be a good back-up 4, and seems able to guard all over the floor. Plus athlete.

I mentioned him a week or two ago wondering why he was so low in DX's mock and he's actually gone DOWN to 50 since then lol. Wouldn't be shocked if someone takes a flyer on him in the 1st round as a hopeful home run kind of pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx0zfvtpX1w

I'd honestly consider trading both the picks up to secure him, that's a George Hill walking contingency plan tho. I wouldn't pay him anywhere near the max.

I don't blame Hill for trying to price gouge Utah or anyone either, this is gonna be his last big contract, he's on the wrong side of 30.. I'd say it's standard practice.. The markets booming.. Jazz basically asked for him to price gouge them when they traded a lotto pick for a rental, they;re invested beyond $$$, it's called sunken cost value(referring to the lotto pick not the $$$)..

I like this kid too. I'm just becoming more and more and more convinced that your PG has to be able to create and shoot off the dribble and I think he can do it. And I'm getting more discouraged that Dante will ever be able to shoot off the dribble. I feel like he's airballed half of his shot attempts that way.

I'm really not loving any of the bigs in this draft... I think Justin Patton and Zach Collins are my two favorites. Maybe Hartenstein for his shooting ability, but I think he's farther away from contributing than people think.

One more thought... David Locke has said many times that scouts have told him that being an explosive leaper off of one foot is way more important than being an explosive two foot leaper. Is this valid? I feel like it's more important to be an explosive leaper in traffic and not just in wide open spaces, thought maybe they go hand in hand since it takes longer to gather yourself to leap from two feet. For example someone like Tyler Lydon (two foot leaper) looks explosive in the open court, but it takes him forever to gather himself to jump, so he's not that explosive in traffic.

One more thought... David Locke has said many times that scouts have told him that being an explosive leaper off of one foot is way more important than being an explosive two foot leaper. Is this valid? I feel like it's more important to be an explosive leaper in traffic and not just in wide open spaces, thought maybe they go hand in hand since it takes longer to gather yourself to leap from two feet. For example someone like Tyler Lydon (two foot leaper) looks explosive in the open court, but it takes him forever to gather himself to jump, so he's not that explosive in traffic.
If you have to plant to be explosive then attacking the rim is extremely difficult unless you are a center.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Lyles has the same 2 foot jumping issue

Sent from my Z981 using JazzFanz mobile app

Exum is a two foot leaper. There is about 3 inches difference between his max and standing. He gets blocked by his man even when he beats him with his first step.

What are peoples opinions of Caleb Swanigan? I like his production. Rebounding at a high level translates to the NBA. He shoots high percentages from two (55%) three (45%) and the free throw line (78%). He has great length as either a four or a small ball five (7'3 wingspan). He's also shown an incredible work ethic and desire to get to where he's at from his background. Surviving homelessness, a drug addicted father, losing over 100 pounds to get into basketball shape. He needs to work on his defense and continue to improve his conditioning but I like him.

nbadraft.net's mock drafts are a complete joke. They have great write ups on the players but looking at their mock is painful to say the least.

It's still fun to check them out when they're updated. I made a post a few months ago to see how often they're correct with their final mock before the draft - it wasn't good. Off-hand they were correct about Pavlovic, Lyles, D-Will, Kanter and one or two others. I think they might have gotten the Kirk Snyder pick correct as well.

Exum is a two foot leaper. There is about 3 inches difference between his max and standing. He gets blocked by his man even when he beats him with his first step.

Uhh, not really. Exum just isnt a leaper. He can explode off 1 foot quickly. He is a 1 foot jumper, he just isnt an explosive vertical athlete.

What are peoples opinions of Caleb Swanigan? I like his production. Rebounding at a high level translates to the NBA. He shoots high percentages from two (55%) three (45%) and the free throw line (78%). He has great length as either a four or a small ball five (7'3 wingspan). He's also shown an incredible work ethic and desire to get to where he's at from his background. Surviving homelessness, a drug addicted father, losing over 100 pounds to get into basketball shape. He needs to work on his defense and continue to improve his conditioning but I like him.

I like him and think he has a lot of potential -- like a poor-to-middle class Demarcus Cousins. I just worry about his ability to motor and run the floor consistently.