What's new

Following potential 2017 draftees...

What do you guys think about Tony Bradley? Based on Perrin and Locke's comments, it seems like he is a guy we will really be targeting.

Bradley is the best offensive rebounder in the draft by far. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have that on our team.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't understand Boston's decision making process here if the rumours are true.
With Brooklyn's unprotected pick next year, they have a good shot at one of the bigs.
Fultz's and Thomas' tendency to score, while still being capable off the ball are going to work well together. Fultz is also a good insurance in case they realize that Thomas + Horford is an impossible combination. Getting more assets back from Philly means obviously more chances at landing stars long term, but it's also a risky gamble in case the team they get the extra assets from (Lakers, Sixers, Kings) improve.

For the Sixers I don't think Fultz is a good fit. He wants to touch the ball, his playmaking is not based on passing or off ball movement, the biggest threat is his scoring potential. Simmons and Embiid project to control the ball for extended stretches as well. As long as Simmons is a non shooter this limitation will either shrink the floor or make him the primary ball handler at most times. While Embiid is not the optimal partner for a 4-5 PnR, his shooting makes him an option off the ball or an dangerous off ball screener, who can be involved in staggered screens, and either cut for lobs or fade out and shoot/attack the close out/open up the zone if the rim protector follows him.
The question remains the same: How is Fultz gonna fit if he can't touch the ball or has to navigate a lot of traffic all the time?
One option would be a 1-4 PnR heavy system, where Fultz and Simmons are the main factors, while Embiid uses his quickness, length and athleticism to terrorize the defense with backscreens for Stauskas and RoCo. Stauskas is improving on the catch, he's still more comfortable as a 2ndary ballhandler.
The Fultz + Simmons PnR would revolve around Fultz's 3 ball and versatility. Any confusion when it comes to switches and help will either nix Simmons limitations and let him attack the basket or Fultz will have extra space. I'm still not convinced it's wise to bank on that, when Monk is basically the perfect fit to play alongside Simmons and Embiid when taking him also means more shots at drafting good guys in '18 at wing.
Guys that are willing and capable movers off the ball are really undervalued IMO. You only have so many possessions and too many cooks tend to spoil the soup. The Heat never could fully utilize Bosh offensively, because James and Wade had so many touches. Same is happening in Cleveland with Love, some of his biggest strengths are only there in theory. Steph's and Draymond's touches went down in Golden State when Durant came. Steph finally figured out which possessions to take and where Durant's length was superior to his skillset, Draymond doubled down on hustle and defense. Klay is just running around and the threat of his catch and shoot is stretching the defense without him touching the ball. Monk could do something similar around Simmons.

What do you guys think about Tony Bradley? Based on Perrin and Locke's comments, it seems like he is a guy we will really be targeting.
Not a fan which probably means we draft him.

If you watch his DX's strengths video, his strengths are so sparse the first two highlights are literally just him being tall so he can dunk when no one is around him.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't understand Boston's decision making process here if the rumours are true.
With Brooklyn's unprotected pick next year, they have a good shot at one of the bigs.
Fultz's and Thomas' tendency to score, while still being capable off the ball are going to work well together. Fultz is also a good insurance in case they realize that Thomas + Horford is an impossible combination. Getting more assets back from Philly means obviously more chances at landing stars long term, but it's also a risky gamble in case the team they get the extra assets from (Lakers, Sixers, Kings) improve.

For the Sixers I don't think Fultz is a good fit. He wants to touch the ball, his playmaking is not based on passing or off ball movement, the biggest threat is his scoring potential. Simmons and Embiid project to control the ball for extended stretches as well. As long as Simmons is a non shooter this limitation will either shrink the floor or make him the primary ball handler at most times. While Embiid is not the optimal partner for a 4-5 PnR, his shooting makes him an option off the ball or an dangerous off ball screener, who can be involved in staggered screens, and either cut for lobs or fade out and shoot/attack the close out/open up the zone if the rim protector follows him.
The question remains the same: How is Fultz gonna fit if he can't touch the ball or has to navigate a lot of traffic all the time?
One option would be a 1-4 PnR heavy system, where Fultz and Simmons are the main factors, while Embiid uses his quickness, length and athleticism to terrorize the defense with backscreens for Stauskas and RoCo. Stauskas is improving on the catch, he's still more comfortable as a 2ndary ballhandler.
The Fultz + Simmons PnR would revolve around Fultz's 3 ball and versatility. Any confusion when it comes to switches and help will either nix Simmons limitations and let him attack the basket or Fultz will have extra space. I'm still not convinced it's wise to bank on that, when Monk is basically the perfect fit to play alongside Simmons and Embiid when taking him also means more shots at drafting good guys in '18 at wing.
Guys that are willing and capable movers off the ball are really undervalued IMO. You only have so many possessions and too many cooks tend to spoil the soup. The Heat never could fully utilize Bosh offensively, because James and Wade had so many touches. Same is happening in Cleveland with Love, some of his biggest strengths are only there in theory. Steph's and Draymond's touches went down in Golden State when Durant came. Steph finally figured out which possessions to take and where Durant's length was superior to his skillset, Draymond doubled down on hustle and defense. Klay is just running around and the threat of his catch and shoot is stretching the defense without him touching the ball. Monk could do something similar around Simmons.
We really have no idea how Philly is going to end up playing. Fultz has virtually no weaknesses so he is a perfect fit on any team. They can get super creative.

We really have no idea how Philly is going to end up playing. Fultz has virtually no weaknesses so he is a perfect fit on any team. They can get super creative.

Fultz has weaker areas, playing off the ball doesn't come natural to him. I think playing 1-4 PnR in halfcourt with Fultz - Simmons is the most likely scenario if they trade. I just fear that this will diminish how much EMbiid can contribute(if he's ever healthy)
Trading away extra picks also takes away options to find a replacement big for him next year like Robert Williams.

Fultz has weaker areas, playing off the ball doesn't come natural to him. I think playing 1-4 PnR in halfcourt with Fultz - Simmons is the most likely scenario if they trade. I just fear that this will diminish how much EMbiid can contribute(if he's ever healthy)
Trading away extra picks also takes away options to find a replacement big for him next year like Robert Williams.

Not sure how adding Fultz makes Embiid contribute less.

As good as Fultz is on the ball, he also has significant potential operating alongside another ball-handler with his excellent size, length and frame, giving his future NBA coach plenty of lineup flexibility. He made 38% of catch and shoot jumpers on the season according to Synergy, and even shows some budding ability to come off screens and rise up smoothly to create separation. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Markelle-Fultz-90302/ ©DraftExpress

I see no reason why Fultz/Simmons/Embiid wouldn't work other than health.

If Embiid is healthy he is the clear best player and star of the team. He won't be diminished by anyone, especially not by someone as good as Fultz.

Not sure how adding Fultz makes Embiid contribute less.

I see no reason why Fultz/Simmons/Embiid wouldn't work other than health.

That's exactly what potential means. An area where he can grow, but isn't progressed as far(yet).
Are we on the same page that you can't play Ben Simmons off the ball for many possessions? He at least needs to be involved in decoy action so his guy doesn't completely drop down to the basket. If the half court game revolves around Fultz-Simmons PnR, how do you maximize Embiid? He won't be involved in primary action. Is he really a player that you want to focus on catching lobs, attacking close-outs and take care of broken possessions?

Its more about who Chicago is targeting if rumors are true its a 3 way.

If CHI trades Butler to BOS, Fultz is who they would target IMO as they need a potential star to re-build around & wouldn't have to rely on ping pong balls as they would if they opted for future picks instead. Maybe CHI values someone at #3 + future 1st(s) over Fultz but the rumor is that BOS is targeting Jackson at 3.

Something like Fultz(+) to CHI, Butler/#3 to BOS, combination of Boston's young guards + #16/additional assets to PHI might make some sense if IT/AB fit with PHI's timeline (age/contract situation) or if Smart could shoot. Rozier would likely interest them but as a secondary piece. AB would be a good fit stylistically but I doubt they are ready to commit long-term $ to non-star players or willing to move out of #3 for someone they could potentially sign as a FA a year from now.

Maybe CHI prefers BKN 18 + LAL 18/SAC 19 over Fultz+ but I think it's more likely that Ainge is attempting to turn 1 asset into 2. He may be doing it with the intention of eventually condensing these assets for a star like Butler (although I think they'll aim higher) but I don't see how PHI's involvement in a Butler to BOS trade makes sense if BOS is in fact attempting to drop from #1 to #3.

I guess it's possible that BOS values Jackson over Jaylen Brown (or CHI/PHI are demanding him) & they are including him in the deal. But even if that's the case, a combination of Butler/Jackson/Hayward(...hopefully not) at the 2-4 likely wouldn't make sense with Horford at the 5.

I don't see why BOS would add Butler & Jackson, or how they would be able to find enough mins for them + Smart/Bradley/Brown/Crowder, if they believed that Hayward will sign with them. On the flipside, if Butler isn't involved, it could indicate that BOS believes Hayward will sign, but only for the full-max, & would prefer to swap Jackson for Fultz (while gaining an additional asset) than have to move additional players.

If CHI trades Butler to BOS, Fultz is who they would target IMO as they need a potential star to re-build around & wouldn't have to rely on ping pong balls as they would if they opted for future picks instead. Maybe CHI values someone at #3 + future 1st(s) over Fultz but the rumor is that BOS is targeting Jackson at 3.

Something like Fultz(+) to CHI, Butler/#3 to BOS, combination of Boston's young guards + #16/additional assets to PHI might make some sense if IT/AB fit with PHI's timeline (age/contract situation) or if Smart could shoot. Rozier would likely interest them but as a secondary piece. AB would be a good fit stylistically but I doubt they are ready to commit long-term $ to non-star players or willing to move out of #3 for someone they could potentially sign as a FA a year from now.

Maybe CHI prefers BKN 18 + LAL 18/SAC 19 over Fultz+ but I think it's more likely that Ainge is attempting to turn 1 asset into 2. He may be doing it with the intention of eventually condensing these assets for a star like Butler (although I think they'll aim higher) but I don't see how PHI's involvement in a Butler to BOS trade makes sense if BOS is in fact attempting to drop from #1 to #3.

I guess it's possible that BOS values Jackson over Jaylen Brown (or CHI/PHI are demanding him) & they are including him in the deal. But even if that's the case, a combination of Butler/Jackson/Hayward(...hopefully not) at the 2-4 likely wouldn't make sense with Horford at the 5.

I don't see why BOS would add Butler & Jackson, or how they would be able to find enough mins for them + Smart/Bradley/Brown/Crowder, if they believed that Hayward will sign with them. On the flipside, if Butler isn't involved, it could indicate that BOS believes Hayward will sign, but only for the full-max, & would prefer to swap Jackson for Fultz (while gaining an additional asset) than have to move additional players.

Butler, Hayward, Josh Jackson, and Jaylen Brown, even if they move Crowder and Bradley, are still a lot of wings. Maybe they could make it work though. They've played Crowder some minutes at the 4. Their FA target might be Blake Griffin.

That's exactly what potential means. An area where he can grow, but isn't progressed as far(yet).
Are we on the same page that you can't play Ben Simmons off the ball for many possessions? He at least needs to be involved in decoy action so his guy doesn't completely drop down to the basket. If the half court game revolves around Fultz-Simmons PnR, how do you maximize Embiid? He won't be involved in primary action. Is he really a player that you want to focus on catching lobs, attacking close-outs and take care of broken possessions?

An offense can involve more than 2 players....

More playmaking is always better than less playmaking. More offense creation is always better than less creation. It's not like he's not shooting in the 40s on catch and shoot so you'd say he can't play off-ball. Fultz is the perfect modern day guard IMO. All the skill in the world, great measurables, good athleticism. I love him as a prospect. It's always better to have the skill and not need it than to not have it at all... especially when we know nothing about how Simmons will transition to the league.

More playmaking is always better than less playmaking. More offense creation is always better than less creation. It's not like he's not shooting in the 40s on catch and shoot so you'd say he can't play off-ball. Fultz is the perfect modern day guard IMO. All the skill in the world, great measurables, good athleticism. I love him as a prospect.

I think people just overreact when Brown said Simmons is going to be the PG. They picture in their heads he is going to be the guy taking the ball up the court every time, basically playing like Chris Paul. I doubt any system they run will be that rigid. There is a near limitless amount of stuff you can run with those 3 guys. Now they just need to find a 5th player who can shoot next to Covington. They have a ton of FA cap-space left. I bet they make a run at JJ Redick.