What's new

Following potential 2017 draftees...

Frank Jackson quietly doing work. Has led or been second in scoring in every Duke game/exhibition/scrimmage.

Hasn't had a great shooting game, but is being aggressive.

Here's some random musings on players from day 1 (players on top-25 teams first).
threw this together whilst eating a very big bowl of cereal this morning :p

Good to see Rhode Island back and healthy. Real nice games from hassan martin, 7 blocks almost a triple-double. EC Matthews with 21 points on 12 fga's 3 ast, 3 stl.. They could be dangerous. Their wings are high-major level.

Interesting to see Killian Tillie on Gonzaga getting 20 minutes off the bench compered to 16 for Zach Collins and 4 for Rui Hachimuira.

Tillie was the U16 european championship MVP years back and has been plagued by injuries ever since. He's got real upside tho. 6'10" and a damn good athlete. If he's a big contributor for Gonzaga, that team is live and their frontcourt is LOADED.

Really productive game for the 7-foot Egyptianm Anas Mahmoud off the bench for UL. I swear that kid has pro potential, he was getting no respect whatsoever last year. Now DX has him #33 in the Sophmore rankings. Also a very nice start to the season for Donovann Mitchell, as long as he shoots it from 3 well he'd be dumb not to test the draft waters

Tyler Dorsey(Oregon) with 21 pts on 11 fga's, 2 rebs, 2 ast, 0 to's. How about 14 points for Jordan Bell on 4 FGA's, and 6 blocks!!!

Ethan Happ with a great all-around line to start the season for Wisky. 4/4 from the field 8pts rebs 4ast 2 stl 1 blk in 23 minutes.

Productive start for Duke's healthy freshman Frank Jackson and Javin DeLaurier-Montgomery.

UNC got a great showing from Justin Jackson and Joel Berry. Kennedy Meeks with 15 boards but just 4/13 from the field.

Monstrous games across the board for Purdue's 3 NBA prospects, Swanigan, Haas and Vince Edwards who went 3/5 from 3 with 4 asts.

Monstrous showing from UCLA, Ball with a near triple-double. T.J. Leaf with 22 and 15 and 4ast.. and tremendously efficient games from Alford and Holiday.

Franklin Howard (Syracuse) with 11 on 4/4 from the field, 9 ast and 4 stls in 22mins, couldn't ask for a better start. Also couldn't ask for a better start from Tyler Roberson, if he keeps plaing like that he's goin in my next mock.

6'11" Aussie, Jock Landale with a beastly 33pt game to start the season for St. Mary's on 15/20 from the field, 9 boards and 2stls.

Justin Patton with a solid start to his college career for Creighton. 12 pts on 7fga's, 8rebs 2 ast, 1blk.

and spectacular efficiency, as per usual, from Monte Morris for ISU. 21 on 9/11 from the field 11 asts 3 stls 0 to's.\

P.J Dozier with a solid start to the season for South Carolina, 17pts on 9fga's 2/3 from 3, 4 rebs 2 ast, 2 stl. Not so much for Sindarius Thornwell with 6 turnovers.

Luke Fischer and Haniif Cheatham with a real nice starts to the season for Marquette. If Fischer keeps putting up all around lines like this it's not out of the question that he sneaks into the 2nd rd.. 18pts on 7/9 from the field, 7rebs 3ast, 2stl, 3blks.

Decent games for Luke Kornet and Matthew Fischer-Davis for Vandy, but they got mopped... lost the 2nd half by 25 points..

Chattanooga's 6'10 Sr. Justin Tuoyo is a legit player to watch, he could get drafted, turns 23 in june. Was the best player on the floor in a win vs Tennessee. 22 on 9/15 11boards, 2 blks 1 stl.

Corey Sanders only took 5 shots for Rutgers, 8 assists and 3slts tho.

Miami's 3 bigtime freshman, Dewan Huell, Vasiljevic and Bruce Brown with very solid lines across the board. Thats definitely a team to watch if all 3 contribute..

sh*tty stat line for Dennis Smith and BeeJay Anya got into foul truble in 10 minutes of play.. Solid line from Abu.

Beastly line from Wake Forest's John Collins, this kid is gonna play in the NBA. in 23 minutes; career high's 18pts and 12 boards. on 7/11 from the field and 3 blocks. Nice game for Bryant Crawford too 18 and 8ast.

Freshman PG for Mississippi St, who I really like, Tyson Carter shot 5/7 from 3 in his debut. definitely a player to watch. Pedestrian line from Mario Kegler in his debut. They only beat Norfolk State by 4. only 17 minutes of PT for Schnider Herard.

Solid start for Minnesota Freshman Amir Coffey. 13points on 3/5 from the field. 3 ast 3 rebs.

23 and 8 for Valpo's Alec Peters.

SMU's Shake Milton with a solid line, 13pts, 3/7 from 3, 2rebs 3ast 3 stl.

OSU's Keita Bates-Diop with a tremendous line 14pts 14boards 2/3 from 3, 2ast, 1stl 3blocks 1 turnover. It's said he's returning for his Sr. year but I think he could get drafted in 2017.

Illinois had some solid contributions from Finke and Malcolm hill with 21 on 11 shots 8 boards 4 asts 1stl.

Danjel Purifoy with 14, 4, and 3 asts for Auburn. Mustapha Heron with a similar line, lil worse.

Peter Jok with an efficient 27 points for Iowa 4rebs 3 ast, 2 stl, 2to's for Iowa.

New Mexico State's Sidy Ndir with 14 points on 6 fga's, 2/3 from 3. This kid is alegit sleeper, especially if he shoots it from 3. French import. 6'3" combo guard with long arms.

Jalen Moore 22points, on 11 shots, 3rebs 3 asts for Utah State.

Career high 30pts for USC's Elijah Stewart, on 12fga's!! 7 rebs 2 stls also. Solid line from Metu also.

Reid Travis is back for Stanford. Career high 24 points along with 17 boards

What did you think about Fox's play??:cool:

First game analysis is he is super fast, super long, very shifty with the ball, will be elite passer, soon. As fast as Wall.
Also, his shot needs some work but isn't broken.. small adjustments. If he can hit high 30's from 3 he'll be near impossible to guard.

He's also an elite defender.

His shot selection was off in the first half, but Cal will fix that very fast.
12 assists in game 1 is obviously pretty awesome.

Monk is going to be terrific, but Cal has a lot of work to do with him and his shot selection/hero ball.

Willis is WAY underrated.

Fox/Monk/Briscoe will be a nightmare for opponents by mid January.

First game analysis is he is super fast, super long, very shifty with the ball, will be elite passer, soon. As fast as Wall.
Also, his shot needs some work but isn't broken.. small adjustments. If he can hit high 30's from 3 he'll be near impossible to guard.

Monk is going to be terrific, but Cal has a lot of work to do with him and his shot selection/hero ball.

Between the passing, defense and him moving around at fast forward speed that was some type of incredible showing. NBA teams have gotta be licking their lips. I really think he's got a decent chance to go #1. He's obviously going to blow teams away in private workouts.

Willis was fantastic, I thought last year that he and Mulder seem to have the talent to get drafted, I'm very high on both of em. If this team can get steady contributions from those 2 I really like it's chances at making a deep run..

Whats the word on Mulder? I kinda think he's got a better chance to stick in the league than Darius Miller.. To me he just seems to fit a lot of the criteria for being a prototype NBA SG..

CxBk52PVEAQRdCX.jpg:large

This is the picture they showed during the game last night. Doris Burke said Bam has bigger traps.

THey going to win it all?

Between the passing, defense and him moving around at fast forward speed that was some type of incredible showing. NBA teams have gotta be licking their lips. I really think he's got a decent chance to go #1. He's obviously going to blow teams away in private workouts.

Willis was fantastic, I thought last year that he and Mulder seem to have the talent to get drafted, I'm very high on both of em. If this team can get steady contributions from those 2 I really like it's chances at making a deep run..

Whats the word on Mulder? I kinda think he's got a better chance to stick in the league than Darius Miller.. To me he just seems to fit a lot of the criteria for being a prototype NBA SG..

Mulder has great size, is an elite athlete, and should be able to hit at a career clip if 40% from 3. What he has to solve is being lost on defense.

Watching tape of several games today. Here are my notes. You are welcome to comment.

First game - Kentucky vs SFU

DeAaron Fox - WOW! He's super fast. Great defensive stance, quick feet on D. A bit out of control on the fast break. Another fast break - this time great pass to Gabriel for the alley oop. Another fast break - very quick but... again a bit out of control - travels on the attempted eurostep. Doesn't seem like his offensive game is very polished at all. Pulls up in semi-transition from 3... I'm not sure that's a good shot. Seems to be forcing it a bit. Attacks the closeout well... gets in the paint, good body control to finish at the rim. Nice pass to a cutter in half court... has nice first step, gets by his man, this time in control, hits a hard left handed floater. OK, that's better! You got my attention. Gets in the paint without a problem again, runs into defenders... out of control again. Hm... he will need to work on that. SECOND HALF - nice bounce pass to a cutter through traffic. Really nice burst in transition and good finish. What impresses me most right now is his speed and his passing - his passes are quick, strong and decisive, not soft like Dante's. Hits shooters on the perimeter right in their shooting pocket. Really nice! Splits two defenders(Dante doesn't have this type of handles and we need him to), nice alleyoop pass. Another great assist to a cutter, great vision and also showed off some handle. He's at 9 assists and it's the beginning of the second half. Great hands on D, strips opponent on a fast break. Behind the back pass on point to a shooter. He's chasing Wall's record(16) for most assists for Kentucky in his very first game. He's at 12 now, 7 more minutes to go. I wonder if Cal will pull him out in this blow out. Finished 12/12/4/3stl.

Bam Adebayo - Huge! Physical specimen. Second half - WOW! He's a freak(physically). Think Dwight Howard, think Drummond. I can not see him going out of the top 10 purely based on physical tools - 6'10'', 260 ALL MUSCLE! Freak athlete for his size(39.5'' max vertical at Kentucky pro-day). PFFFFF! Who would be the next GM letting him slip because he probably won't have the insane stats to back up a top 10 pick? I'd definitely pick him top 10 on tools and potential alone. Maybe even top 5? Need to watch him more. WOW! He moves so well on the perimeter! Doesn't seem to have much of a shot-blocking instinct. This might be a problem.

Malik Monk - Alec Burks disease? Passes up open 3 for a one dribble pullup 2. Monk has hops.

Wenyen Gabriel - interesting prospect, active movement on D, although a bit awkward... runs the floor well... good athleticism it seems. Oh, nice! He has a jumper, too. OK. I'm interested! Why is he not on the mock drafts? Real nice post defense... draws the foul. Hits another jumper at the other end. Seems a bit weak... has to gain some strength.

Briscoe - I don't like him. I can't really see him as a high-level NBA player(i.e. starter, or even high level rotation player). He's like a tank. No maneuverability, no wiggle, nothing. Bull in a china shop.

Summary: I loved Fox, absolutely loved him - started shaky, but as he settled in his vision, passing and decision-making shined. His length on D is awesome. I can't imagine him falling past top 10(I'd go as far as to say he's probably better prospect than Dante was 2 years ago). Gabriel is interesting and it will be interesting to see how he develops through the year. If we didn't have great bigs, I'd be licking my chop at the prospect of Adebayo falling to us. I imagine his stats won't be impressive this year(think Drummond type), but he has monster potential in the league.
---------------------------------------------------

Second game - Pacific vs UCLA

Lonzo Ball - lol, his shot is ridiculous. Every time I see it I can't help but laugh. It falls though... He scored his first 3p shot for UCLA. Good anticipation on D, makes the steal. Ball another 3! And finishes an alley oop in transition. SWAG! And crisp passing. On the bad side - he doesn't seem to be in a stance on D. Seems a bit disinterested on that end. Damn, I like his unselfishness. I have a feeling I will be crushing over several PG prospects this year. Seems to be lackadaisical on D, but has nice instincts to interrupt the passing lanes. He's a big guard, I'm not sure his lateral quickness is great though. Sometimes looks good, sometimes not so much. Defensive fundamentals not too good. Oh wow, I didn't know he has this type of hops - one handed cocked back alley oop in transition. UCLA is on fire. They can be scary if they can shoot like that. I love his passing. This guy is running and passing ahead on the fast break. UCLA must have scored 20 points by him simply pushing the tempo and abusing early transition opportunities. Ball is going for triple double in his debut - 16/11/8 right now. 5 minutes to go. I love his offensive game. They took him out - 19pts, 11 ast, 8 rbs, 2stl... I want to see him against better opposition, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

Comments?