What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

Props for laying out both rounds, cy.

I still think Bonga can enter the first-round discussion, but he's got to show some shooting and a willingness to rebound as a wing.

Last edited:
Trae Young is a very high-variance player. If he's hitting his looks from long range and opening the floor for his passes, he's amazing. But if he's not hitting his jumper, his game kind of crumbles. I'm not sure how I feel about him. Steph Curry became a completely different player when he tightened his handle and used really advanced hesitations to freeze defenders. Without advanced dribble moves, Trae is likely to get shut down by athletic defenders for a while, imo. He'll need that and a good floater game to be effective.

Right now my top targets for the Jazz (within reason and no order) would be:
Keita Bates-Diop
Lonnie Walker (Him and KBD might be the two least likely to drop to 21)
Jacob Evans
Elie Okobo
Melvin Frazier
Josh Okogie
Kevin Huerter
Afernee Simons
Dzanan Musa

If we end up with any one of those nine guys I will be pretty excited. If we don't, I will be reasonably bummed.

How do you feel about Zhaire Smith? Now that he's measured out a bit small for a wing, and with his limited shooting, I could see him slipping more than Lonnie Walker.

Trae Young is a very high-variance player. If he's hitting his looks from long range and opening the floor for his passes, he's amazing. But if he's not hitting his jumper, his game kind of crumbles. I'm not sure how I feel about him. Steph Curry became a completely different player when he tightened his handle and used really advanced hesitations to freeze defenders. Without advanced dribble moves, Trae is likely to get shut down by athletic defenders for a while, imo. He'll need that and a good floater game to be effective.
He might turn out great, but I’m not sure I’m buying it. His shot selection in the games I watched was pretty horrendous. All the talent in the world can’t fix bad decision making. I’d pass in the top 10 at this point. His physical profile makes it so that he’s a detriment if he can’t score. Huge risk taking a guy like that with how physical the playoffs are. Can you imagine him handling the pressure and physicality that Donovan faced this year? I can’t.

He might turn out great, but I’m not sure I’m buying it. His shot selection in the games I watched was pretty horrendous. All the talent in the world can’t fix bad decision making. I’d pass in the top 10 at this point. His physical profile makes it so that he’s a detriment if he can’t score. Huge risk taking a guy like that with how physical the playoffs are. Can you imagine him handling the pressure and physicality that Donovan faced this year? I can’t.

I think the best PG in this class is SGA. He's the size of Exum, but is actually skilled. If I were a team that needs a PG, I'd feel comfortable taking SGA in the top 10.

I think the best PG in this class is SGA. He's the size of Exum, but is actually skilled. If I were a team that needs a PG, I'd feel comfortable taking SGA in the top 10.
I'm not super high on any of the PGs this year. Definitely like the bigs/wings much, much better.

KBD kinda has an awkward gait... not super fluid.

I think he is actually pretty fluid. Strangely, the guy he reminds me of is a more modernized Elton Brand. He's not nearly as bulky as Brand, and he's not a bully in the post, but he's got some of the same subtle timing to finish inside and grab boards even though he's not very explosive. And again, his hands grab the ball like he's got some kind of vacuum-like suction going on.

How do you feel about Zhaire Smith? Now that he's measured out a bit small for a wing, and with his limited shooting, I could see him slipping more than Lonnie Walker.

Maybe? Sometimes it's hard to tell when you live in the draft twitter bubble where everyone has fallen deeply in love with Zhaire. I would be pretty surprised if he fell to 21, but I guess it's possible. I'm not super high on him, but definitely someone I would strongly consider at 21 depending on who else was available.

KBD kinda has an awkward gait... not super fluid.
Yep, I know what you mean.

My big question on him would be: Can he guard 3's? Is he someone you can put on a 3 and stay in front of them and contest shots at a reasonable rate.

But even if he can't, I think he measured out well enough weight wise to where you feel comfortable with him being a full-time 4. His wonky fluidity might be a problem if you play him at the 3, but I dont think it would matter at the 4. He doesn't have the nimbleness/light feet as a guy like Kuzma.

His teammates were really bad. If you replaced Trae with a league average D1 PG they would have finished last in the Big 12. Trae is a much better passer than a lot of people give him credit for. He is going to be more Nash than Curry in the NBA.

Pretty good list, Cy. My favorites are Bates-Diop and Musa. Both might be gone before #21.
Still not ruling out a trade for a veteran. Jazz have O'Neale, Bradley and even Crowder to develop. Another youngster isn't going to push the needle next year. Utah is in win now mode.

I'm going to stay on Jerome Robinson's bandwagon. The guy can just play. I agree with the title of this vid -- 1st-round steal.

Pretty good list, Cy. My favorites are Bates-Diop and Musa. Both might be gone before #21.
Still not ruling out a trade for a veteran. Jazz have O'Neale, Bradley and even Crowder to develop. Another youngster isn't going to push the needle next year. Utah is in win now mode.
The Jazz are not in win now mode. I would be pretty shocked if they traded this pick to get a veteran (unless it's part of some big blockbuster type deal, which also seems highly unlikely).

I mean, certainly they are trying to win now, but they aren't into mortgaging the future to do so.

I'm going to stay on Jerome Robinson's bandwagon. The guy can just play. I agree with the title of this vid -- 1st-round steal.

He just seems like the kind of college scorer who wont translate. Really skinny and not great length. He also sat out on the athletic testing, which is weird for a guy at his (currently) projected draft position.

The Jazz are not in win now mode. I would be pretty shocked if they traded this pick to get a veteran (unless it's part of some big blockbuster type deal, which also seems highly unlikely).

I mean, certainly they are trying to win now, but they aren't into mortgaging the future to do so.

We can get a decent win now vet with MLE if we want to this summer. Draft bpa with premium placed on long term projected needs. Keep the pick. Trade a 2019 pick if u want to do a win now trade.

He just seems like the kind of college scorer who wont translate. Really skinny and not great length. He also sat out on the athletic testing, which is weird for a guy at his (currently) projected draft position.

I think the scoring will translate. He has a nice mix of pulling up for jumpers and getting downhill. He's not super athletic, but the instincts and shooting are there. Again, he reminds me a bit of Jamal Murray. There were concerns about Murray heading into the draft that he couldn't defend anybody and wouldn't be athletic enough to create looks in the pros. But I think, like Murray, Robinson will come through.

I don't equate "win now" with "mortgaging the future." Realistically, the chances of any player drafted in the 20's becoming a top-end starter are low. Jazz already have backups like O'Neale and Crowder. They likely have Exum coming back. No rookie is going to step in and have a significant impact. What Utah needs is another scorer. I could see Lindsey looking the trade route if the price is the #21 and other minor assets.

I don't equate "win now" with "mortgaging the future." Realistically, the chances of any player drafted in the 20's becoming a top-end starter are low. Jazz already have backups like O'Neale and Crowder. They likely have Exum coming back. No rookie is going to step in and have a significant impact. What Utah needs is another scorer. I could see Lindsey looking the trade route if the price is the #21 and other minor assets.

I mean, you can't be serious.