What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

Revisiting Josh Okogie after he posted a 42" max vertical (best at the combine), 3.04-sec 3/4 court sprint (best at the combine and same as Mitchell, I think), measuring 6'4.5" with a ridiculous 7' wingspan. He shot 38% on 3s with over 4 attempts per game, and had 6.3 rpg, 1.0 bpg, 1.8 spg to go with 18.2 ppg as a sophomore in the ACC. His 2-pt efficiency wasn't great, but he shot 82% on FTs.

He's an NBA athlete with speed, length, vertical explosion and intangibles. As much as I've been raving about Zhaire Smith for his athletic highlight plays, Okogie is comparable and is the better player right now. He's still just 19 until September.

Revisiting Josh Okogie after he posted a 42" max vertical (best at the combine), 3.04-sec 3/4 court sprint (best at the combine and same as Mitchell, I think), measuring 6'4.5" with a ridiculous 7' wingspan. He shot 38% on 3s with over 4 attempts per game, and had 6.3 rpg, 1.0 bpg, 1.8 spg to go with 18.2 ppg as a sophomore in the ACC. His 2-pt efficiency wasn't great, but he shot 82% on FTs.

He's an NBA athlete with speed, length, vertical explosion and intangibles. As much as I've been raving about Zhaire Smith for his athletic highlight plays, Okogie is comparable and is the better player right now. He's still just 19 until September.

Yeah, really like this kid and has legit potential on both sides of the court.

Just starting to check out this class and he’s def caught my eye.

Is he a sg or pg?

Sent from my SM-A520F using JazzFanz mobile app

He is mysteriously a subpar finisher at the rim, 54%. That is bad for having basically Dwayne Wade size and athleticism. Overall he has good potential with those measurables and being just 19.

With Okogie's length and athleticism, he can play at the wing, 2 or 3, same as Royce O'Neale. He's a big-time prospect, imo. Plenty of room to develop his game.

There isn't really a combo forward worth taking after KBD, and I might prefer Okogie anyway.

It's worth watching the matchups with Jerome Robinson this year.

He looks like Donovan, I think he can fit well but don't we need more a Pf or Sf right Now?

Sent from my SM-A520F using JazzFanz mobile app

BPA always. And then anyone that can guard multiple positions, can hit open looks, handle the ball/facilitate/pass.

We don’t just need a couple of those.

Early look at him and he checks some of those boxes. Early mocks have him late 2nd round and that won’t last, obviously.

He's kind of explosive in space, but he is nowhere close to Smith. I dont care what his combine measurements say, he is much more of a "smooth" athlete than an explosive one.

FWIW, I think Allen will be in the league for a long time. Not advocating him for the Jazz (yet) but he is a player.
Agree. Not sure where he gets drafted, though. Maybe early second? He has limited upside as a Sr. and there are the maturity concerns. Could see him as a decent bench player. But teams wont exactly be tripping all over themselves to get him.

Okogie isn't the shot creator and scorer that Jerome Robinson is (or CJ McCollum). That's probably what's holding back. He's a pretty basic offensive player. However, the fact that he averaged 18 ppg with a pretty basic offensive game shows his potential. If he can develop some moves off the dribble, his ceiling goes up.

Last edited:
OK, I did a Post-Combine Big Board. Will be the last one I do until days before the draft.

DdiFH9GV0AAKOlY.jpg:large

Right now my top targets for the Jazz (within reason and no order) would be:
Keita Bates-Diop
Lonnie Walker (Him and KBD might be the two least likely to drop to 21)
Jacob Evans
Elie Okobo
Melvin Frazier
Josh Okogie
Kevin Huerter
Afernee Simons
Dzanan Musa

If we end up with any one of those nine guys I will be pretty excited. If we don't, I will be reasonably bummed.