What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

His combine times suggest he’s not slow footed. His shuttle was a little slow imo but his other two timed runs were above average speed wise.

A couple of years of P3 and professional training and he could refine his athleticism too.

Think of KBD's mobility being a bit similar to Luc Mbah a Moute at this stage, or maybe Luol Deng when he started slowing down a bit. However, KBD is a pretty smart and crafty player and can use subtle hesitations and angles to get an advantage on defenders. He can then finish pretty well with some burst at the rim. In other words, if his role is at the 4, I don't think his mobility is an issue. If you want him to chase wings on the perimeter or lead a break, he's probably a bit limited, but he should be okay for a modern 4.

Maybe his athleticism is also a bit comparable to Marvin Williams, but KBD is a craftier and more skilled offensive player, both in mid-range and in the paint.

Think of KBD's mobility being a bit similar to Luc Mbah a Moute at this stage, or maybe Luol Deng when he started slowing down a bit. However, KBD is a pretty smart and crafty player and can use subtle hesitations and angles to get an advantage on defenders. He can then finish pretty well with some burst at the rim. In other words, if his role is at the 4, I don't think his mobility is an issue. If you want him to chase wings on the perimeter or lead a break, he's probably a bit limited, but he should be okay for a modern 4.

Maybe his athleticism is also a bit comparable to Marvin Williams, but KBD is a craftier and more skilled offensive player, both in mid-range and in the paint.

Marvin is a good middle ground comp. I think KBD may have more to his offensive game, but Marvin is really good... not his fault he went #2 in the draft.

I think Shake will shake out in the 30s or 40s of this draft. Don't really see him in our range. The lack of burst and ability to change speeds is stopping him from being more than a role player right now. It's a bit disappointing, but I don't think he's a priority for us. There are too many other guards and wings who can do more.

I hope so... I see him mocked around and to us too frequently.

I’m wondering if KBD could end up playing some 5 tbh.

He'd probably need at least another 15 - 20 lbs before you start asking him to do that. I'm not sure that's the best way to use him. He's a mobile and skilled face-up player at the 4. Let someone else bang around in the paint.

I watch Frazier highlights daily. Dude has some insane plays. I worry about his shot and weight, but he is definitely the prospect I would be most excited about drafting at 21. He is older (going to turn 22 at the end of August) but it feels like he has a lot of upside.

I see some Gerald Wallace in him. Just all-out athleticism and motor. Plus his shot isn't broken.

Brown is longer, that's about all he has on Hayward. Hayward was a great rebounder at Butler.

I'm higher on Troy Brown Jr. than most. I think he can mix some of the versatility of Hayward with the toughness and mid-range game of Jimmy Butler if he puts it all together. He's got really good vision, decent IQ, good defensive instincts and an underrated ability to score from mid-range to go along with his length. He's just not really explosive. I think he can potentially play minutes at 3 positions depending on match-ups.

If you go to 1:33 - 2:21 in this video, you can see what his athleticism looks like in an unstructured, pick-up setting. Again, he's not flying off the trampoline, but he's able to get where he wants to go. He's the guy in the blue USA shirt.

The Utah Jazz should have no trouble signing a number of “just a guy” role players. If they want stars, it’ll (most likely) have to come through the draft. I don’t care who they pick, I just want it to be someone with ridiculous upside with every selection. Get them into the system and then let Quin try to mold them and unlock their potential.

Thanks for the post. He has issues, which is why he might be around at 21. I think he has enough of what we need, and as long as he can be coached those issues can be cleaned up.
He was coached by Mike Dunleavy Sr. so I think there's a chance he has been taught what the NBA needs from him or what he can expect.

Is Keita Bates Diop a slightly longer, slightly thinner Stanley Johnson?

IIRC, Jazz loved Stanley, but he has underperformed in the NBA.
No, WAY thinner it's not a good comp.
I'm higher on Troy Brown Jr. than most. I think he can mix some of the versatility of Hayward with the toughness and mid-range game of Jimmy Butler if he puts it all together. He's got really good vision, decent IQ, good defensive instincts and an underrated ability to score from mid-range to go along with his length. He's just not really explosive. I think he can potentially play minutes at 3 positions depending on match-ups.

If you go to 1:33 - 2:21 in this video, you can see what his athleticism looks like in an unstructured, pick-up setting. Again, he's not flying off the trampoline, but he's able to get where he wants to go. He's the guy in the blue USA shirt.

Troy Brown is a good pick to be higher than most on. He's a sneaky athlete if u really watch him closely he shows flashes I like watching him in transition best, he's capable of stringing crafty drives into great passes at high speeds.

Bates Diop is a polished, solid, reliable, mature player who stepped up to do pretty much whatever his team needed no matter the circumstance. I feel like this isnt said enough here.

Were totally drafting somebody no one expects at either 21 or trading into late 1st / early second and everyone is gonna be like wtf? But DL will completely nail it.

I think MPJ will go higher than most mocks are expecting. And I think Bagley, T Young and Sexton will go lower.