What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

He didn't get traction as a stretch 5. Needs to get in better shape and show more motor on defense. He'll be more physically ready next year. Fair decision.

Next year's draft is poopy too... so he was mocked mid 30s and could likely be a pretty good lock for mid first round next year.

I'm a little surprised Jontay is going back to Mizzou. After Ayton, Bamba, Jackson Jr, Bagley, Carter who will all go in the lottery this isn't a strong or deep class of bigs. If you are a team in the second half of round one looking for a big man the pickings are looking slim right about now.

I really want to jump on the Huerter bandwagon, but I just don't feel it. I've watched so many videos on him, and I don't see him getting away from anybody off the dribble. Almost never. He creates space to get a shot off, but the defender is always right there "in his pocket" as they say. In the NBA, it's going to be even tougher to create that space. And yes, he can shoot it, but so much of his video shows him putting the ball on the ground first. Maybe he concentrated on just catching and shooting prior to workouts. If he did and doesn't have to put the ball down, then great. If he's more comfortable off the dribble, I worry about him being able to get the shot off.

I don't know if I would take him at #21. I actually like the idea of trading down and taking a couple of these guys.

Ehh, he wasnt going before 21 IMO. Doesnt really affect the Jazz's draft in anyway. It was the right choice for him.
Oh if he wasn’t going before the Jazz pick then I don’t care a lick. I thought he was like a top 15 guy who some people were saying was better than his brother. That’s what I get for just picking up scraps of info instead of doing research.

Possibly. If there is nobody better at 21, take him because our next pick is pretty far away from 35. I trust DL though.

After the fact, picking a guy at 21 that blows up looks great, even if he could have been taken at 35. Wherever they are projected, take the best player you can, when you can.

My point is that I like him lower in the draft. If he is the best player at 21 then you take him. I think there are other players more worthy of the 21st pick. However, since I am going by highlights I don't really have all the information to make a qualified decision.

I'm always weary of people calling drafts bad a full year before they happen. Usually that equates to a perceived weak freshman class, and I think HS scouting is usually pretty faulty.

Yeah this is true. I’d actually like to get another pick in the 20s or 30s if possible. Draft really flattens out at like 12ish and There are multiple guys I’d like to bring in being mocked anywhere from 15-45... not saying that is one tier but I like where we are and what we can get in the 20s.

If I was drafting mid teens I’d likely look at dropping 7 or so spots if I could pickup something good or dump a contract.

I actually like the idea of trading down and taking a couple of these guys.

Me too. I keep looking at Philly. Depending on who is available at 21 I'd be willing to give them 21 in exchange for 26 and either 38 or 39. I think that it makes sense for both sides. They have so many picks that there's no way they can keep them all. They consolidate two and move up. We move back and double our chances in a deep class of prospects.

I usually don’t like older guys. But if KBD can be effective as it looks like he can be, then he is a perfect age to grow with the team. I’m not against a 19 year old with more potential in theory. But a core group of guys all around the same age is enticing.

Me too. I keep looking at Philly. Depending on who is available at 21 I'd be willing to give them 21 in exchange for 26 and either 38 or 39. I think that it makes sense for both sides. They have so many picks that there's no way they can keep them all. They consolidate two and move up. We move back and double our chances in a deep class of prospects.

Because of cap space issues and roster spot issues I think we could actually get the 26th pick outright. Colangelo hinted they might move it... no word on if Eric Jr. confirmed.

So we send our 2019 pick lotto protected for 26. They defer the pick... save a little money (cuz LBJ is definitely coming to join them ya know). They have too many guys and not enough roster spots unless they unload some prospects (Korkmaz, TLC, Anderson, Holmes). They could likely find takers. If they get a commitment from Lebron they can move the pick we gave them with Bayless to get off of his money.