What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

Me too. I keep looking at Philly. Depending on who is available at 21 I'd be willing to give them 21 in exchange for 26 and either 38 or 39. I think that it makes sense for both sides. They have so many picks that there's no way they can keep them all. They consolidate two and move up. We move back and double our chances in a deep class of prospects.

I agree. Philly and Atlanta are right there.

Maybe trade #21 and 2nd rounders for #26 and Philly's 2019 lottery protected pick (they have Sacramento's pick already).

Then trade #26 to Atlanta for #30 and #34.

Then hope that 2 of Okobo, Huerter, Diop, Okogie, Robinson, or Donte D are there.

Now that we can't use the unguaranteed contracts to take on money and get another pick... I would like to get another pick in the late 20s and would use our lotto protected 2019 pick to do so.

Teams I think that would do it -
Philly - Roster crunch, have the 10th pick, trying to shave salary where they can to get max space.
Golden State - At 28... the are in win now mode and adding a rookie who won't likely contribute. Because of repeater tax it would add about $6M in Luxury tax just to add the meager salary. Deferring the pick a year may be appealing, but they also may want to get someone in that can help immediately on the cheap.
Atlanta - At 30... the have 3, 19, 30, 34. They want to be young but not sure they want to be that young... tough to develop 4 young guys... rather than taking a draft and stash they can defer the pick a year.

Why we do it...

We are looking 2-3 years down the road and getting the pick this year gives us a better chance to have a contributor when the window opens.
Next year's draft is supposed to be weak... Cy is dubious... and it is tough to predict, but I think this draft is fairly deep and a pick in the late 20s can deliver a great prospect.

I don't think a pick will be sold in the 30s otherwise I'd just go that route... we have the money... I don't see a natural fit for a seller.

Now that who I really want is Huerter I just know we aren’t going to get him.
Mitchell has ruined the draft for me lol now I just wat to draft someone with upside potential, and to me Huerter reminds me of Korver, which would be great for the 21st pick, but because of Mitchell it’s just not good enough for me anymore.

Now that we can't use the unguaranteed contracts to take on money and get another pick... I would like to get another pick in the late 20s and would use our lotto protected 2019 pick to do so.

Teams I think that would do it -
Philly - Roster crunch, have the 10th pick, trying to shave salary where they can to get max space.
Golden State - At 28... the are in win now mode and adding a rookie who won't likely contribute. Because of repeater tax it would add about $6M in Luxury tax just to add the meager salary. Deferring the pick a year may be appealing, but they also may want to get someone in that can help immediately on the cheap.
Atlanta - At 30... the have 3, 19, 30, 34. They want to be young but not sure they want to be that young... tough to develop 4 young guys... rather than taking a draft and stash they can defer the pick a year.

Why we do it...

We are looking 2-3 years down the road and getting the pick this year gives us a better chance to have a contributor when the window opens.
Next year's draft is supposed to be weak... Cy is dubious... and it is tough to predict, but I think this draft is fairly deep and a pick in the late 20s can deliver a great prospect.

I don't think a pick will be sold in the 30s otherwise I'd just go that route... we have the money... I don't see a natural fit for a seller.

I want to add picks too, but I don't want to use one of our 1st rounders. Those could be very valuable should there come a situation that a player under contract shows interest in coming to Utah to play with Mitchell. You just never know. We might need that 1st rounder. The best teams seem to hold onto at least one 1st rounder every year.

We do have extra 2nd rounders in 2021 (Washington) and 2022 (San Antonio). If we like someone in the early 2nd round, we could always trade one of those 2nd rounders and #52 for it. And add some cash if we need.

I want to add picks too, but I don't want to use one of our 1st rounders. Those could be very valuable should there come a situation that a player under contract shows interest in coming to Utah to play with Mitchell. You just never know. We might need that 1st rounder. The best teams seem to hold onto at least one 1st rounder every year.

We do have extra 2nd rounders in 2021 (Washington) and 2022 (San Antonio). If we like someone in the early 2nd round, we could always trade one of those 2nd rounders and #52 for it. And add some cash if we need.

That's fine, but if you had a pick in the 30s would you do it? (you would not)

You have to give something to get something. I'd rather retain a 1st rounder in 2019, but teams won't accept garbage for value... there has to be something in it for them.

I don't think any of the teams in the 30s are stupid or desperate enough to trade cash for a pick.... Bulls were crushed last year for doing it.

The only potential team that might do it would be Phoenix.. we could send our trade exception and absorb Troy Daniels.. gives them around 21M in cap room to get a center (jordan Capela etc.) we send #52 and $5M in cash for #31... they should not do that deal... but they might because Sarver is a penny pincher.

Oh if he wasn’t going before the Jazz pick then I don’t care a lick. I thought he was like a top 15 guy who some people were saying was better than his brother. That’s what I get for just picking up scraps of info instead of doing research.
Some people really like him, a lot. Some people see him as a top 10, but I do not.

Because of cap space issues and roster spot issues I think we could actually get the 26th pick outright. Colangelo hinted they might move it... no word on if Eric Jr. confirmed.

So we send our 2019 pick lotto protected for 26. They defer the pick... save a little money (cuz LBJ is definitely coming to join them ya know). They have too many guys and not enough roster spots unless they unload some prospects (Korkmaz, TLC, Anderson, Holmes). They could likely find takers. If they get a commitment from Lebron they can move the pick we gave them with Bayless to get off of his money.

I'd rather trade back than trade away next years 1st tbh.

Below is what a handful of mock drafts are projecting for the Jazz at #21. If there's a consensus among these, it's that the Jazz would likely take Huerter or Troy Brown, then KBD, with some interest in Elie Okobo and Shake Milton.

**ESPN (Givony) -- Elie Okobo (with Musa, Hutchison, K. Thomas, Evans, Donte, Simons and J. Robinson still on the board)

**NBA Draftroom -- Troy Brown (with Hutchison, Donte, Simons and KBD still on the board; Huerter is omitted from their mock)

** Tankathon -- Troy Brown (with Hutchison, KBD, Donte still on the board; Huerter is omitted from their mock)

** The Ringer -- Shake Milton (with Hutchison, Simons and Okogie still on the board; Huerter is omitted from their mock)

** Sports Illustrated -- Troy Brown (with Hutchison, Musa, J. Robinson and KBD still on the board)

** NBADRAFT.NET -- Kevin Huerter
(with Brown, Hutchison, Donte and KBD still on the board)

I'd rather trade back than trade away next years 1st tbh.

If Atlanta has someone they like I think they’d do 30 and 34 for 21 not sure I’d do it... depends on what is left.

Whoever we take I'll be good with. Even if I'm not a fan of them as a prospect. I trust DL and our scouts.

If we take Shake Milton at 21 I'm going to be very depressed.
What's not to like about Milton? Productive scorer, good assist numbers, good size, elite length, excellent shooting numbers all three years at SMU, 60% TS last year, 43% from 3, good defender. Seems like the perfect player in today's league.

I mean i get if you don't love him, but i don't see what there is to flat dislike.

If you look at excellent 3pt shooting on high attempts over a three year period, Milton has very few peers in this draft. Probably have to consider him one of the top 5 shooters in the draft.

43% as a frosh on 4 attempts
42% as a soph on 5 attempts
43% as a senior on 6 attempts

85% FT shooter as a senior too.

Those are big time shooting numbers.

I agree. Philly and Atlanta are right there.

Maybe trade #21 and 2nd rounders for #26 and Philly's 2019 lottery protected pick (they have Sacramento's pick already).

Then trade #26 to Atlanta for #30 and #34.

Then hope that 2 of Okobo, Huerter, Diop, Okogie, Robinson, or Donte D are there.

If we can get 26 and
If you look at excellent 3pt shooting on high attempts over a three year period, Milton has very few peers in this draft. Probably have to consider him one of the top 5 shooters in the draft.

43% as a frosh on 4 attempts
42% as a soph on 5 attempts
43% as a senior on 6 attempts

85% FT shooter as a senior too.

Those are big time shooting numbers.

What are his knocks?

These are the draft ranges of players we've been discussing according to the mock drafts from ESPN, NBADraftroom, Tankathon, The Ringer, SI and NBADraft.net. I'll omit the high and the low to calculate the average.

Troy Brown: Average = 20.25
  • ESPN - 18
  • NBA Draftroom - 21
  • Tankathon - 21
  • The Ringer - 12
  • Sports Illustrated - 21
  • NBADraft.net - 23
Chandler Hutchison: Average = 22.0
  • ESPN - 23
  • NBA Draftroom - 22
  • Tankathon - 22
  • The Ringer - 22
  • Sports Illustrated - 22
  • NBADraft.net - 22
Donte Divincenzo: Average = 24.75
  • ESPN - 28
  • NBA Draftroom - 23
  • Tankathon - 26
  • The Ringer - 26
  • Sports Illustrated - 20
  • NBADraft.net -24
Keita Bates-Diop: Average = 25.25
  • ESPN - 20
  • NBA Draftroom - 25
  • Tankathon - 25
  • The Ringer - 17
  • Sports Illustrated - 31
  • NBADraft.net -36
Kevin Huerter: Average = 27.5
  • ESPN - 19
  • NBA Draftroom - 31
  • Tankathon - 39
  • The Ringer - 42
  • Sports Illustrated - 18
  • NBADraft.net - 21
Melvin Frazier: Average = 30.25
  • ESPN - 34
  • NBA Draftroom - 28
  • Tankathon - 29
  • The Ringer - 24
  • Sports Illustrated - 30
  • NBADraft.net -37
Elie Okobo: Average = 30.75
  • ESPN - 21
  • NBA Draftroom - 18
  • Tankathon - 35
  • The Ringer - 37
  • Sports Illustrated - 39
  • NBADraft.net - 30
Josh Okogie: Average = 33.5
  • ESPN - 27
  • NBA Draftroom - 32
  • Tankathon - 51
  • The Ringer - 28
  • Sports Illustrated - 42
  • NBADraft.net - 32
Shake Milton: Average = 37.5
  • ESPN - 41
  • NBA Draftroom - 60
  • Tankathon - 19
  • The Ringer - 21
  • Sports Illustrated - 50
  • NBADraft.net -38

These are the draft ranges of players we've been discussing according to the mock drafts from ESPN, NBADraftroom, Tankathon, The Ringer, SI and NBADraft.net. I'll omit the high and the low to calculate the average.

Troy Brown: Average = 20.25
  • ESPN - 18
  • NBA Draftroom - 21
  • Tankathon - 21
  • The Ringer - 12
  • Sports Illustrated - 21
  • NBADraft.net - 23
Chandler Hutchison: Average = 22.0
  • ESPN - 23
  • NBA Draftroom - 22
  • Tankathon - 22
  • The Ringer - 22
  • Sports Illustrated - 22
  • NBADraft.net - 22
Donte Divincenzo: Average = 24.75
  • ESPN - 28
  • NBA Draftroom - 23
  • Tankathon - 26
  • The Ringer - 26
  • Sports Illustrated - 20
  • NBADraft.net -24
Keita Bates-Diop: Average = 25.25
  • ESPN - 20
  • NBA Draftroom - 25
  • Tankathon - 25
  • The Ringer - 17
  • Sports Illustrated - 31
  • NBADraft.net -36
Kevin Huerter: Average = 27.5
  • ESPN - 19
  • NBA Draftroom - 31
  • Tankathon - 39
  • The Ringer - 42
  • Sports Illustrated - 18
  • NBADraft.net - 21
Melvin Frazier: Average = 30.25
  • ESPN - 34
  • NBA Draftroom - 28
  • Tankathon - 29
  • The Ringer - 24
  • Sports Illustrated - 30
  • NBADraft.net -37
Elie Okobo: Average = 30.75
  • ESPN - 21
  • NBA Draftroom - 18
  • Tankathon - 35
  • The Ringer - 37
  • Sports Illustrated - 39
  • NBADraft.net - 30
Josh Okogie: Average = 33.5
  • ESPN - 27
  • NBA Draftroom - 32
  • Tankathon - 51
  • The Ringer - 28
  • Sports Illustrated - 42
  • NBADraft.net - 32
Shake Milton: Average = 37.5
  • ESPN - 41
  • NBA Draftroom - 60
  • Tankathon - 19
  • The Ringer - 21
  • Sports Illustrated - 50
  • NBADraft.net -38

The projections will probably change some after today and we know who is staying and who is going back to school. I just wish that Europe had the same deadline

What's not to like about Milton? Productive scorer, good assist numbers, good size, elite length, excellent shooting numbers all three years at SMU, 60% TS last year, 43% from 3, good defender. Seems like the perfect player in today's league.

I mean i get if you don't love him, but i don't see what there is to flat dislike.

He has a hard time getting by people. He lacks change of speed and doesn't have much burst. If he did have these things, he'd be great.

If the Jazz stay at #21, and I think it's iffy that they do, I think the discussion will come down to Troy Brown, Kevin Huerter and Keita Bates-Diop, with Elie Okobo and Anfernee Simons being wildcards. It will be interesting to see what happens if Zhaire Smith falls into the Jazz's range.

I think the Jazz should try to get another pick at the end of the first or early 2nd round to draft Melvin Frazier, Josh Okogie, Jerome Robinson or Isaac Bonga.