What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

Anyone have concerns about Huerter’s ability to defend at the next level?

Offensively, to me, he looks like a slightly less athletic but better shooting young Hayward. Which would be awesome to have.

The other question I have is, can the jazz package next years’s draft pick and Burks for another pick? Burks showed his value in the ability to create his own shot. But I’m unsure if he has a place here. It just seems like he’s played out. If we could use Burks as a way to draft someone like Elie Okobo, that would be awesome.

Come out of this draft with a shooter (Huerter) and a spark plug (Okobo) would be dynamite.

Considring the quality and balance of some of the usual trade ideas seen around here this one isn't half bad, as far as plausibility is concerned.

Thing is though, most likely that type of trade isn't going to get you high enough to draft both or either tbh cuz they could both be off the board before 21, more likely sellers would be in the 26-30 range, if their lucky and obviously a huge chunk of cash would be given up --- these types of moves happen less and less though, and it's fair to say the landscape or market has changed, and can change quite a bit in just a few years, ultimately leading to sellers being more scantly found. Trades like what Utah did to get Gobert could've affected this.......

***It is now worthy of note when discussing the 2019 draft that there's been 2 major additions to the field in the recent days, which strengthen it for certain, in Charles Bassey (possible #1 pick) and Ashton Hagans(probable top-20, possible lottery) and there's possibly more of these reclassifications on the way, James Wiseman who's been rumored to reclass up would make another immense impact on the strength of the 2019 draft and he would vie for #1, actually he'd be the favorite to go #1. (Consider this when thinking on what you know/have heard about the 2019 field).

@Dr. Jones knows. With this memo the NBA sent teams out that the 1 and done likely will stand til 2021, that will just enhance the fervor that some of these kids will have to reclassify up. and with the back end of that range (the early 2020's) looking loaded the waves of talent moving forward will be significant.

Also Dr. Jones please tell me they are gonna offer on Jaden McDaniels in 2019...

Last edited:
Officially done speculating on this draft. The Jazz have seemingly worked out every guy who could be in play at #21 and I have absolutely no idea which way they're leaning. I also don't know which way I'm leaning - I can talk myself into or out of 8-10 guys being a good pick.

My one prediction is that we won't be at #21. Historically, the team has seemed to do a great job of pegging which teams like which players, so I think we'll settle on a guy and move up or back depending on where they're slotted to go. That's my call.

Is he that short guard who after winning the national championship complained about colleges exploiting athletes? He played for UCONN didn’t he? What has he ever done in the nba? Is he supposed to be an example of lebron’s scouting skills?

He’s a good backup... limited but a spark plug... gym rat and Dame seems to love him. I’d take him for the right price 4-5 M a year for a couple years.

Officially done speculating on this draft. The Jazz have seemingly worked out every guy who could be in play at #21 and I have absolutely no idea which way they're leaning. I also don't know which way I'm leaning - I can talk myself into or out of 8-10 guys being a good pick.

My one prediction is that we won't be at #21. Historically, the team has seemed to do a great job of pegging which teams like which players, so I think we'll settle on a guy and move up or back depending on where they're slotted to go. That's my call.
My thoughts exactly. Think I'll trust Lindsey and Snyder on this one; even if they pick some guy I'm not very high on right now.

If Lindsey trades down, I'd like to see a trade with Philly, dropping to 26 while adding the 38th or 39th pick. When we hear about different players maybe being available for trade. one thing is evident: the Jazz simply don't have good, young prospects to trade. O'Neale was a step in the right direction. So was getting Crowder, although last season's stats certainly hurt his value a bit. But drafting a couple of rotational players would get Utah one step closer to being able to trade for an all-star type player.

Final Big Board
Final_Big_BOard.jpg

My thoughts exactly. Think I'll trust Lindsey and Snyder on this one; even if they pick some guy I'm not very high on right now.

If Lindsey trades down, I'd like to see a trade with Philly, dropping to 26 while adding the 38th or 39th pick. When we hear about different players maybe being available for trade. one thing is evident: the Jazz simply don't have good, young prospects to trade. O'Neale was a step in the right direction. So was getting Crowder, although last season's stats certainly hurt his value a bit. But drafting a couple of rotational players would get Utah one step closer to being able to trade for an all-star type player.

I don’t think we should blindly trust our management and who they draft. They’ve scored Gobert and Mitchell. But theyve certainly whiffed a bunch of times too. Ends Kanter, Alec Burks, Trey Burke, Trey Lyles, and Bradley all come to mind.

I understand having confidence and hope in management making good moves but let’s not assume that whoever we take will be the BPA or the best move available. Our pick at 21, with few exceptions, warrants scrutiny.

Not much different than my last one. Pretty much the same 30 players w/ some movement, but I put Wagner in and took Bruce Brown out. Just seems like he could very easily be Kelly Olynyk, but he is a better athlete and has a better body.

Here's my final board with tiers:

CJmnU2O.jpg

The Porter Jr ranking is with a HUGE asterisk. I have no idea what the deal with his health is and what of the latest reports are based on him trying to make certain teams pass on him. If he truly has serious health problems I would take him off the board completely so... yeah... keep that in mind - it's based on assuming good health.