What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

I don't care that Grayson Allen is white. I don't want the Jazz to draft him because he's 22 years old, he had mental issues on the court in college, and overall he underachieved in his career.

He gets the white man deduction for his athleticism, but he also gets the great "shooter" bump because he is white too. he didn't make enough shots last year for me.

Look I think DL is great, but this blind trust in his pick is funny. Even in just the last two drafts he took Trey Lyles over Devin Booker and drafted Tony Bradley in front of Josh Hart and could've likely traded up a spot or two higher and taken Kuzma instead of the trade up to Bradley.

There's still a good chance he makes a mistake in the draft.

It isn't blind.. I just know they have done much more homework than I have.

I was really down on both picks you mentioned at the time... so maybe I am smarter than DL.

Take OKOBO or BROWN... Please!

Lyles over Booker?
The Jazz wouldn't have Mitchell if they got Booker, so he gets a pass from me there.

There were also 11 other teams that passed on Booker, and Booker might not have seen the floor much his rookie season here (the Jazz had and liked Hayward, Hood, and Burks at the time, it was the greatest area of positional strength).

If we want a "safe" guy who can contribute now I'd so much rather have Evans. I think he has upside... he defends and has good length for the 2 and decent enough to play the 3 some. If we want a guy who may top out as a great bench player... why not go there instead.

Underachieved in what way? In total the dude has played with 15 NBA players and a lot of top-10 picks. He has had to adjust more than any other player has.
He is a freak athletically and has a ton of talent. His statistics his sophomore season were incredible. He significantly regressed from that in his junior and senior seasons though.

Duke has also been absolutely loaded with young talent every season and he's been the upper classman leader. Except he hasn't been a leader. Duke was the preseason #1 team his Junior and Senior Seasons. They lost in the round of 32 and elite 8 those years. He never took Duke as far as he should've. They won a NC his freshman year but he didn't play meaningful minutes until the very end.

I mean, this guy's senior season he averaged 15 ppg, 4 apg, and 3 rpg. He shot 42% from the field overall and 37% from the 3. Those numbers are not very good for a college senior who performed like he did as a sophomore. Find me the last college senior drafted in the 1st round that had mediocre numbers like that.

Last edited:
He gets the white man deduction for his athleticism, but he also gets the great "shooter" bump because he is white too. he didn't make enough shots last year for me.

15.5 PPG on 11.7 shots per game and shot 37% from 3 on 7 attempts per game. Not sure what more you would want from a guy with those kind of looks.

the entire ESA wanted Booker. And you can use the 11 other teams excuse about any great player who gets passed on later in the draft. Its okay he passed on Hart for Bradley because 40 (or whatever) teams passed on him as well. The job is to pick the best guy, and while Lindsey is good Roy's point was that he isn't beyond reproof. Its okay to disagree with or question his decisions.
The Jazz wouldn't have Mitchell if they got Booker, so he gets a pass from me there.

There were also 11 other teams that passed on Booker, and Booker might not have seen the floor much his rookie season here (the Jazz had and liked Hayward, Hood, and Burks at the time, it was the greatest area of positional strength).

Okogie is your guy, imo. Or Simons. Okogie the best combination of proven skill and upside, imo.

I don't disagree with you. The guy with the most upside in the 20s to me is Anfernee Simons. I don't think I've ever seen a guy fail in the league with that degree of body control, handle, rim finishing and shooting off the dribble. He's clearly a lottery-caliber talent. He just hasn't proven it against college competition. His body is also a couple years away.

Okogie has a lot of upside too, and should at least be a 3/D wing like a better version of Royce O'Neale. He can handle some too. I just don't quite see enough IQ, focus and competitiveness with him. It's as much his demeanor as anything. Is he the hyper-competitive guy who wants to be great and take over games? Also, despite his Combine numbers, I'm not seeing him blow by guys, completely lock up guys defensively, or get high above the rim off one foot. It's not that he can't do these things. It's more about effort and that I don't see him really wanting to dominate. He's got the tools, but I'm not sure about the mental game.

As for Troy Brown, we've gone back and forth. I think if he works on his body, works on his shooting, and gets more reps in general playing as a wing, he can be a Jimmy Butler-caliber player. He has the instincts, body control and hesitations with his dribble moves. He has the ability to get low and wide and move well on defense. Having played PG, he's got the ability to read the game, he has really good hands and has very advanced timing and intangibles both offensively and defensively.

15.5 PPG on 11.7 shots per game and shot 37% from 3 on 7 attempts per game. Not sure what more you would want from a guy with those kind of looks.
He was bad on open shots last year.

Now, you could make the argument that that's the easiest thing for him to fix, but apparently his synergy shots were really weird where he did better when guarded. But if he's just bad at open shots, all you have to turn him into nothing is simply not guard him.

He is a freak athletically and has a ton of talent. His statistics his sophomore season were incredible. He significantly regressed from that in his junior and senior seasons though.

Duke has also been absolutely loaded with young talent every season and he's been the upper classman leader. Except he hasn't been a leader. Duke was the preseason #1 team his Junior and Senior Seasons. They lost in the round of 32 and elite 8 those years. He never took Duke as far as he should've. They won a NC his freshman year but he didn't play meaningful minutes.

I mean, this guy's senior season he averaged 15 ppg, 4 apg, and 3 rpg. He shot 42% from the field overall and 37% from the 3. Those numbers are not very good for a college senior who performed like he did as a sophomore. Find me the last college senior drafted in the 1st round that had mediocre numbers like that.

He shot the ball less his last two years in college. A guy shoots 4 less times a game and averages less points? That’s unheard of.

37% from 3 on 7 attempts isn’t bad either.

the entire ESA wanted Booker. And you can use the 11 other teams excuse about any great player who gets passed on later in the draft. Its okay he passed on Hart for Bradley because 40 (or whatever) teams passed on him as well. The job is to pick the best guy, and while Lindsey is good Roy's point was that he isn't beyond reproof. Its okay to disagree with or question his decisions.

You didn't read my post I guess. Cool.

He was bad on open shots last year.

Now, you could make the argument that that's the easiest thing for him to fix, but apparently his synergy shots were really weird where he did better when guarded. But if he's just bad at open shots, all you have to turn him into nothing is simply not guard him.

I do think that’s the easiest thing for him to fix.

I am very here for the drama today. I want a pick that is either a surefire steal, or one that will piss everyone off just cuz (again) i am very here for the drama today

In the end, I highly doubt we draft Allen but I think he unfairly gets a bad wrap because people don’t like him.

Trey Lyles I get in hindsight, cuz if he didn't bust that's a playmaking 4 with size and range. A potentially perfectly complement to Rudy.

Nah, instead we got a soft, stiff PF who sulked and went weeks without hitting shots. A gamble, but what can ya do.

He shot the ball less his last two years in college. A guy shoots 4 less times a game and averages less points? That’s unheard of.

37% from 3 on 7 attempts isn’t bad either.
37% isn't bad, but it isn't as good as guys like Huerter, Okogie, Thomas, and Okobo. Especially when he's being drafted partially because of his "great" shooting.

Trey Lyles I get in hindsight, cuz if he didn't bust that's a playmaking 4 with size and range. A potentially perfectly complement to Rudy.

Nah, instead we got a soft, stiff PF who sulked and went weeks without hitting shots. A gamble, but what can ya do.
For the record, I hated the pick. All of the intel on his soft, lazy-*** was accurate and I bought in. I wouldn't have taken Booker, I would've tried to trade down and take Portis.