What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

Wondering if Trier will stay in the draft or return to Arizona for his senior year? I remember liking him last season before he decided he'd return to AZ.

6:01 mark in this clip Troy Brown straight up posterizes Marvin Bagley. Not an athlete, yeah right.

He's 6'7 with a 6'10 wingspan. It doesn't take a lot for him to dunk the basketball. He's still a below average athlete. You could even see it in that video clip. There wasn't very much explosion or spring in his jump.

Troy Brown in the dunk contest. Yes, his athleticism is average. But he is still rated a great defender of PG, SG, and SF. Great hands, quick decision maker, nothing sticks. I like him. I think a rotation player to starter is realistic.

Troy Brown isn't the greatest run/jump athlete, but he's very coordinated, plays on balance and moves very fluidly for his size. These are some of the same attributes that made Hayward more athletic than he looked or based on how he tested at the Combine.

Again, look at Lance Stephenson. He's not the fastest or bounciest, but he's strong, coordinated and plays with decent body control.

Troy Brown in the dunk contest. Yes, his athleticism is average. But he is still rated a great defender of PG, SG, and SF. Great hands, quick decision maker, nothing sticks. I like him. I think a rotation player to starter is realistic.

Where are you seeing he’s rated as a great defender anywhere? Serious question.

I’ve watched a lot of him recently to understand how people are comping him to some legends and while he has the tools he’s far from a “great” defender. I’ve also never seen anyone call him that who I respect.

Are you just saying Huerter has a higher ceiling but Okobo’s could possibly be higher, or are you saying something else?

No, sorry. I think Okobo, overall, has a higher ceiling.

I do think people see Huerter as more of a finished product though, which I don’t think is he truth. He is more than a shooter and I think he can turn into a legit all around player in the league.

There are too many wild comps lately in this thread for me to toss mine in for Okobo. I just see the risk higher with him but a potential high end reward if all goes right.

Huerter reminds me a lot of a young Gordon Hayward but with a consistent jump shot. Good length. High BBIQ. Developing offensive game. Willing driver. Willing defender.

The fact remains he spurned the Jazz on his workout, and don't see him rescheduled. Until that changes, I think it's unlikely the Jazz draft him.

Where are you seeing he’s rated as a great defender anywhere? Serious question.

I’ve watched a lot of him recently to understand how people are comping him to some legends and while he has the tools he’s far from a “great” defender. I’ve also never seen anyone call him that who I respect.
Most people. The ringer has defense being one of his strengths. Most sites consider him a wing with good defensive IQ, quick hands, and size to switch.

From The Ringer "
  • Good team defender who plays hard, rotates, and has the frame to comfortably switch screens.
From The Stepien
  • Outstanding rebounder for his position. Consistently crashes offensive glass and will board out of his area on defense.
  • Disciplined defender who rarely sells himself out. Knows where to be off the ball and doesn’t get caught ball-watching.
  • Long and strong frame gives him defensive versatility. 6-foot-11 wingspan, 8-foot-9 standing reach, 210 pounds. Can reliably check 2-4 and holds his own against slower 1s.
  • High-motor player who finds a way to make an impact even when his shot isn’t falling. Fights through screens, crashes the glass, plays the passing lanes.

The fact remains he spurned the Jazz on his workout, and don't see him rescheduled. Until that changes, I think it's unlikely the Jazz draft him.

Spurned is kind of a strong way to put it. He cancelled the visit to speak with his parents and make a decision. Walt Perrin said the Jazz interviewed him at the combine and that a workout wasn't even necessary because they've seen enough on film.

No, sorry. I think Okobo, overall, has a higher ceiling.

I do think people see Huerter as more of a finished product though, which I don’t think is he truth. He is more than a shooter and I think he can turn into a legit all around player in the league.

There are too many wild comps lately in this thread for me to toss mine in for Okobo. I just see the risk higher with him but a potential high end reward if all goes right.
Something that's worth pointing out about Okobo. His shooting projection is arguably better than Huerter... or pretty much anybody in the draft. Most analytical projections rely on 3 factors - attempts from 3, 3p%, FT%.... Okobo is better than Huerter on ALL of those.

1. attempts - Okobo 7.5 3pFGA/40, Huerter 6.8 3pFGA/40
2. 3p% - Okobo 41.8%, Huerter 41.7%
3. FT% - Okobo 83.5%, Huerter 76%

Worth pointing out that the FIBA 3p line is farther away than the college line too... Okobo also takes a lot of off the dribble 3s.

Most people. The ringer has defense being one of his strengths. Most sites consider him a wing with good defensive IQ, quick hands, and size to switch.

From The Ringer "
  • Good team defender who plays hard, rotates, and has the frame to comfortably switch screens.
From The Stepien
  • Outstanding rebounder for his position. Consistently crashes offensive glass and will board out of his area on defense.
  • Disciplined defender who rarely sells himself out. Knows where to be off the ball and doesn’t get caught ball-watching.
  • Long and strong frame gives him defensive versatility. 6-foot-11 wingspan, 8-foot-9 standing reach, 210 pounds. Can reliably check 2-4 and holds his own against slower 1s.
  • High-motor player who finds a way to make an impact even when his shot isn’t falling. Fights through screens, crashes the glass, plays the passing lanes.

Thanks. Was it KOC from the Ringer?

Something that's worth pointing out about Okobo. His shooting projection is arguably better than Huerter... or pretty much anybody in the draft. Most analytical projections rely on 3 factors - attempts from 3, 3p%, FT%.... Okobo is better than Huerter on ALL of those.

1. attempts - Okobo 7.5 3pFGA/40, Huerter 6.8 3pFGA/40
2. 3p% - Okobo 41.8%, Huerter 41.7%
3. FT% - Okobo 83.5%, Huerter 76%

Worth pointing out that the FIBA 3p line is farther away than the college line too... Okobo also takes a lot of off the dribble 3s.

Tankathon has Okobo's projected NBA 3p% at 37.8% and Huerter at 36.8%