What's new

Following Potential Draftees - 2019 (not kidding)

Now that DraftExpress has sold out, where are the best places to do good research? I used The Ringer last year, and know about nbadraft.net, is there some place I'm missing?

The Jazz like Grayson. And Jae is more valuable to the team than like a mid-teens pick he and #23 might bring. Especially when we could lose Favors.

When you put it in terms of "a mid-teens pick" then sure... lots of things are more valuable. George Hill was traded by San Antonio for a mid-teens pick... Trey Lyles and a first were traded for a mid-teens pick... If you see the guy and you can get in the range you go get him. You have to give something. Jae is fine but his on court production is pretty replaceable. I think he is viewed still as this tremendous bargain... he's worth his money, but I wouldn't say he's worth a whole lot more than that. With Grayson who knows... but you have to give something and those guys are about the right price imo.

Now that DraftExpress has sold out, where are the best places to do good research? I used The Ringer last year, and know about nbadraft.net, is there some place I'm missing?

I like the ringer and tankathon for stats and a big board. DX was the ish. Jeremy Woo at SI is cool.

Reactions: SCS
Also like Sam Vecenie… but his stuff is hidden behind the Athletic paywall.

Well he doesn't have NBA 3 point range that's obviously how you say otherwise. DM often got swarmed by cheating defenders when he got into the lane, Clarke, at least initially, won't be able to alleviate that.
His motor is off the charts though. Over 3 blocks for an 8'6" standing reach player has to be a record or damn well near it. Nice spin move, but will be heavily scouted in the NBA.

Of course he will... Thats just crazy-talk.... Not only are u underrating Clarke, but you're also underrating the players Utah already has and their ability to get him the ball in positions to win..

lets be real. If Brandon Clarke shot 99% from 2pt range, ur criticisms would still be the same.. It's just dumb... He shot 70% from the field, runs the floor WAY better than Favors...

Ppl do this stupid thing with the #'s... Every year that passes the more I'm sure these hardcore #'s ppl have no ****ing clue, and they just like lookign at metrics for amusement. It's funny, what they really want is NARRATIVES, not numbers, but they find their narratives thru the numbers, instead of the actual game footage... how could anyone think their math is strong enough to compete with a real human, who's attuned to what their supposed to be attuned to. These BRILLIANT takes are how narratives like "Lonzo ball is a great 3pt shooter and De'Aaron Fox can't shoot" come to pass, it's actually blatant ignorance, ppl spend more time searching for ways to justify their ignorance, than actually admit they are still learnign like everyone else..

Absolutely one of the worst convos thats gets repeated in these draftees threads are these insane hyper-criticism of percentages..

Brandon Clarke is a JACKPOT SCENARIO.... Utah, as currently constituted, is beat... They are countered... They must find some way to inject some rocket-fuel into the squad, into the offense... What Clarke would be able to provide on a 4year rookie deal would be nothing less than yeomans work.

the PF you're looking for doesnt exist in this draft either... some 3pt shooter who's ready to hold minutes like Clarke at PF... that guy isnt gonna be on the board in the 20's if he does exist...

Are Bazley and Lecque really "swing for the fences" type of picks? Or does their youth just give that perception? I feel like every young guy every year is tagged as a "swing for the fences" pick or apparently has crazy upside because people see the age and their imaginations run wild with how they could develop in just that extra year or two.

Lecque is, hes not an NBA athlete, he's markedly above whatever those qualifications are, not really even up for debate really..... Thats his whole appeal, and honestly U wont find a thorough debunking out there...

Bazley has very high upside IMO, but I believe in this draft he is infact relatively safe, and 1st rd grade. He's more swinging for a double or the gaps or something. In the scope of this draft, no doubt in my mind -- he's legit.

The scarcity factor with Lecque is very real, they dont make guards built like that every year.... That kid could posterize Rudy ya know, he's a monstrosity in the air, there's no mistaking what he does on his "approach" to the rim, some sort of major horsepower is at work tho, they compared him to Westbrook always, and he's bigger.... He has major defensive potential too. His J is ugly I hate it, makes me cringe, looks uncomfortable and like he's aiming it...

I cant imagine his showcase will go all that well at NC State next year... I'm not sure what he's gonna do... He's truly a develoment project, the foundation is legit tho, if he were to 'pan out' it could be a major homerun, tho i gotta say it seems rather unlikely. He is big enough to play SF tho, for sure, kid has really bulked up since he first hit the scene, for his age, he has some kind of crazy frame.

Brian Bowen is an interesting story. He was committed to play for Louisiville, , , got caught in the middle of the pay to play scandle. Tried to transfer to South Carolina before being ruled ineligible. He attended the NBA combine last year and again this year (?). It is reported Adidas paid his family 100k to play for Lousiville while Arizona offered the family 50k. He withdrew from the 2018 draft and played in Australia.

In 30 games for Sydney, Bowen averaged 6.3 points and 3.2 rebounds in 15 minutes per game. He shot 34 percent from 3-point range. On the wall of his room in Australia, Bowen hung a Yahoo Sports story quoting an anonymous scout saying Bowen “might not be good enough to play in the G League right now.”

last year Bowen sued Adidas for harming his ability to make a living as a ball player.
I kind of find it hard to believe the Jazz would draft him given Donovan's standing with Adidas, but the world doesn't always move the way I think it will.

I don't think Nic Claxton is anywhere near physically ready to play at the 5. Maybe in a year or two. I'm not sure he's really quick or skilled enough to play at the 4 right now either, but I suppose you could take a flier and find out. He's a project who will probably go in the late 20s or more likely mid-30s.

He is quick and skilled enough to play 4! He can play 5 too, it's just matchup dependant, which is how lots of matchups are at the 5..

Nic Claxton didn't get to show his full repitore of skill at Georgia, they needed him tethered to the basket...

If you go and look back at Nic Claxton's recruiting pages, u will find services had him listed at SF!!! he was a wing player and had a massive growth spurt.

I am a big Nic Claxton believer, i believe in his skillset and his athletic grade. he passes the eye test for me, with ease actually. his talent is legit in the scope of this draft, i'd gamble on a kid like that in the late 1st, major upside from those spots imo. To me, he seems liek a guy thats "new-age" and kinda showed up at the right time, what he brings to the table is in-need..

What u will see for much of the 2020's is ******** versions of Marvin Bagley III... and I mean, that is just a horrid way to introduce ppl, but it's accurate, Nic Claxton fits that bill..

I think Claxton just might be a big fish from a small-pond... He's got a chance... I dont think he's one of those guys that flames out and no one gives him anothjer chance too, i think cuz of his skillset he'll get plenty of chances...

really when u look at the failures of some other balyhoo'd recently drafted bigs, I think Nic Claxton compares well to many of those guys..

Nic Claxton is definitely NOT the next Deyonta Davis, that kid is WAY better, and way more suited to todays game...

Last edited:
That's a good workout. I remember liking Bowen last year. Weatherspoon and Schofield are good trade down candidates. The Athletic mock has us taking Poole at 53. Ty Jerome has great footwork and can really shoot it, but poor guy has T-Rex arms lol 6'5.5" in shoes with a 6'4" wingspan.

Brian Bowen is an interesting story. He was committed to play for Louisiville, , , got caught in the middle of the pay to play scandle. Tried to transfer to South Carolina before being ruled ineligible. He attended the NBA combine last year and again this year (?). It is reported Adidas paid his family 100k to play for Lousiville while Arizona offered the family 50k. He withdrew from the 2018 draft and played in Australia.

last year Bowen sued Adidas for harming his ability to make a living as a ball player.
I kind of find it hard to believe the Jazz would draft him given Donovan's standing with Adidas, but the world doesn't always move the way I think it will.

Bowen is a legit player, his 5-star ranking was well earned.. He's 6'7" and he can shoot it a bit, but he's got good instincts on offense, and can score the rock and doesnt need to hog the ball to do so.