What's new

Following Potential Draftees - 2019 (not kidding)

They aren't trying to collect picks. They are trying to win now. His shot is really irrelevant. They aren't trading him unless it's in a package for something that helps them win now.

The 6th pick is a great asset if you are trying to leverage a larger trade. Ball himself is probably better, but the sixth pick is more of a "universal donor" situation where it could be useful to any team as opposed to a more limited market for Ball.

They aren't trying to collect picks. They are trying to win now. His shot is really irrelevant. They aren't trading him unless it's in a package for something that helps them win now.
Does Ball help them win? They’re trying to amass assets to use in a trade for real players.

Spurs have worked out Kabengele and Bazley and are working out Samanic tomorrow. They have picks 19 and 29 in the first round. The Spurs GM was at Bazley's pro day in LA and gave him his first workout. Hopefully, they're looking at him for 29.

Mfiondu Kabengele is starting to grow on me and I'm quite intrigued. He is very well spoken, confident and insightful when he is doing his interviews. I've been watching his college highlights too and I'm impressed. I understand his first workout was with the Jazz. I seriously hope they consider him too at the 23rd pick.

The 6th pick is a great asset if you are trying to leverage a larger trade. Ball himself is probably better, but the sixth pick is more of a "universal donor" situation where it could be useful to any team as opposed to a more limited market for Ball.

Does Ball help them win? They’re trying to amass assets to use in a trade for real players.

It was reported by multiple sources during the Lakers/Pelicans trade discussions last season that the Pelicans love Ball. If AD is the goal then the Lakers have no interest in a pick for Ball.

Nice video on Keldon Johnson by DX.

Me (watches strengths): this kid is a top 5 pick.

Heard ominous music

Me (watches weaknesses): this kid couldn’t make my intramural team

#draftszn

It was reported by multiple sources during the Lakers/Pelicans trade discussions last season that the Pelicans love Ball. If AD is the goal then the Lakers have no interest in a pick for Ball.
Yeah, the Pelicans do think Ball could fit well next to Jrue. They ars probably right.

Ball, #4, Ingram or Kuzma, and Hart for AD probably gets it done.

Ball, Jrue, Ingram, Zion and Randle. That's pretty damn strong.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I would love for us to trade 23 to Philly for 33 and 34. Just seems like all these guys are really the same range and would let PHI get rid of some picks that won’t make the roster.
Philly is a great trade partner. They have 4 2nd round picks in addition to #24.

I think we should look to trade #23
for
#33, #54 and OKC's 2020 1st

The OKC pick Philly has is top 20 protected. It would be a good deadline deal trade chip or something to use if we are forced to make a Conley type deal after the moratorium.

With #23 and #24, Philly could look to package them with #34 to move up close to the lottery.

Philly is a great trade partner. They have 4 2nd round picks in addition to #24.

I think we should look to trade #23
for
#33, #54 and OKC's 2020 1st

The OKC pick Philly has is top 20 protected. It would be a good deadline deal trade chip or something to use if we are forced to make a Conley type deal after the moratorium.

With #23 and #24, Philly could look to package them with #34 to move up close to the lottery.
Disagree completely. The Jazz are better off doing what Portland did last year. Stay at #23 and draft for upside. Then trade some future 2nd round picks and cash to jump up into the top 40 for a second high upside pick.

Take a swing or two and hope you hit a homerun.

Disagree completely. The Jazz are better off doing what Portland did last year. Stay at #23 and draft for upside. Then trade some future 2nd round picks and cash to jump up into the top 40 for a second high upside pick.

Take a swing or two and hope you hit a homerun.
I agree if we are absolutely sold on a guy at #23. However, if we like 4 or 5 guys, that 2020 1st round pick becomes a very valuable trade tool for the offseason or deadline.

There is no reason to draft a guy at #23 if we can draft him at #33 or #34 and pick up an asset.

I agree if we are absolutely sold on a guy at #23. However, if we like 4 or 5 guys, that 2020 1st round pick becomes a very valuable trade tool for the offseason or deadline.

There is no reason to draft a guy at #23 if we can draft him at #33 or #34 and pick up an asset.
A. I don’t think Philly will trade that pick just to move up in this draft.

B. The odds of hitting on a guy go down significantly with every pick that you drop back to. There’s aLmost ZERO benefit in moving back instead of just taking the guy you like best when your pick comes up.

C. The cost of buying a late 1st or early 2nd round pick usually comes in somewhere between two future 2nd round picks and $5 million in cash. Find the cost you can live with live with. . . and move up to get somebody to develop. Again, the further down you go. . . the less likely they are to pan out.

Portland played it exactly right last year. Jazz should follow that blueprint this year.

C. The cost of buying a late 1st or early 2nd round pick usually comes in somewhere between two future 2nd round picks and $5 million in cash. Find the cost you can live with live with. . . and move up to get somebody to develop. Again, the further down you go. . . the less likely they are to pan out.

I would love to see the Jazz do this as often as possible. Hell, do it every year. The Jazz tend to sell off the second rounders. Why not use them in trades for late first/early seconds instead and take swings at guys with upside. If we could hit on another Rudy type of gem we are in great shape.

I would love to see the Jazz do this as often as possible. Hell, do it every year. The Jazz tend to sell off the second rounders. Why not use them in trades for late first/early seconds instead and take swings at guys with upside. If we could hit on another Rudy type of gem we are in great shape.

It’s one of my pet peeves... we’ve been on the opposite side of that transaction more often than not. This year we may have some roster spots to justify it... Atlanta and Philly May offload some early seconds.

Mfiondu Kabengele is starting to grow on me and I'm quite intrigued. He is very well spoken, confident and insightful when he is doing his interviews. I've been watching his college highlights too and I'm impressed. I understand his first workout was with the Jazz. I seriously hope they consider him too at the 23rd pick.

I think the Jazz like him, at least somewhat. Not sure if that's enough for them to stay in the draft. Also not sure if he drops to 23. Teams in the late teams are now working him out.

The Jazz probably have multiple contingencies planned. If someone they really like falls to 23, they'll snatch him up. If not, they may trade back or trade out. It'll be a real-time decision. Looking at who the Jazz have brought in to workout and interview they seem to know what they're doing. The better guys we've brought in won't be available at 33, but if you're content to draft an Iggy Brazdeikis or Jalen Leque or whatnot, trading back is fine.