What's new

G-league vs Overtime Elite vs College

Keefe

I’m curious which offers the toughest competition and which the least?

I imagine OT elite offers the least competitive across the board which makes me wonder about the Thompson brothers and if one or both could fall, especially since they’re already 20 and turn 21 less than halfway through the season. I wonder how inflated their stats were as a result and if they had so much liberty that they might have acquired bad habits that’ll make coaching them tougher than say kids coming out of college or G-league.

Anyone have insights on this? Who are the other g-league/OT elite and even foreign guys who could maybe be drafted 25-40 who could really evolve into a star as well in some people’s opinion?

For as bad as college basketball is... when watching the twins... I have no idea what I'm watching. This doesn't look like the same sport to me.

OTE and Ignite are not competitive leagues/teams. They are developmental. Players get their minutes without much regard for winning or efficiency. They are going to be out there regardless of their performance, resulting in less pressure situations which is the biggest differentiating factor between any league.

Talent wise OTE and Ignite are very good, but they are developmental at the end of the day.

I don't know a whole lot about the financial stability of OTE, but I'm wondering how the Thompson twins will impact the league moving forward. For example, if the Thompson twins get picked high, then maybe more prospects see the league as a legit alternative. If the Thompsons fall in the draft, then maybe prospects don't want to go there.

It more likely takes longer to play out though. For example if the Thompson's are both busts in the league then teams will likely be more hesitant to draft guys from OTE, which makes it harder to attract talent. By then we'll likely have more guys get drafted, and so a larger sample size.

My general thoughts are that the G-League, French League, and AUS league have similarish levels of talent. I would maybe say the G-League has more talent, but less quality basketball. Another thing to consider is that the G-League plays at a super high pace and is also a high efficieny league....so even if the levels of competition are similar, the stats in the GLeague are somewhat "inflated" compared to the counterparts. The GLeague has the highest pace and efficiency, the French league is the slowest and least efficient,. Aussie League is in the middle for both IIRC. These teams would absolutely crush NCAA teams though. It's not close.

As far as OTE and French Youth league....who knows. What I can say for sure is that they are beneath NCAA basketball. When I watched OTE is felt like a HS all star game with highly variable amounts of seriousness. It's also super up and down, the amount of possessions that are in "transition" has to be insane. I honestly think you just throw it out. French Youth League....you might throw it out as well, but I will say, elite prospects don't just walk into that league and dominate. @seattlejazzfan often likes to mention that 15 year old Cam Boozer just walked in and dominated that league. 17 year old Wemby didn't walk in and dominate the French Youth League and neither did Zach Risacher (top 3 prospect for 2024). French Youth league is high pace with **** efficiency. I think there is a similar effect where talent may be higher in one league, but quality of basketball is lower.

I don't know a whole lot about the financial stability of OTE, but I'm wondering how the Thompson twins will impact the league moving forward. For example, if the Thompson twins get picked high, then maybe more prospects see the league as a legit alternative. If the Thompsons fall in the draft, then maybe prospects don't want to go there.

It more likely takes longer to play out though. For example if the Thompson's are both busts in the league then teams will likely be more hesitant to draft guys from OTE, which makes it harder to attract talent. By then we'll likely have more guys get drafted, and so a larger sample size.
Eh. OTE needs some work, and the Thompson’s getting drafted high will help with that. . .

But the G-League Ignite is pretty well established as a solid option for guys to make a transition to the NBA. I think you’ll see more top guys taking that route than in past years.

OTE and Ignite are not competitive leagues/teams. They are developmental. Players get their minutes without much regard for winning or efficiency. They are going to be out there regardless of their performance, resulting in less pressure situations which is the biggest differentiating factor between any league.

Talent wise OTE and Ignite are very good, but they are developmental at the end of the day.
What do they develop? Like... if they asked NBA GMs before the year what the twins needed to develop the most, what do you think they would have told them? IMO it would have unequivocally been the shot for both of them. It doesn't look like they worked much if at all on that this last year.

OTE is high school basketball. G league are pros. College is college.

G league has more talent than college, but college defense, pace and lack of spacing make putting up numbers in college very hard - where the g league is faster paced with much better spacing and less defensive intensity. OTE is a step below the most elite High School teams

Last edited:
What do they develop? Like... if they asked NBA GMs before the year what the twins needed to develop the most, what do you think they would have told them? IMO it would have unequivocally been the shot for both of them. It doesn't look like they worked much if at all on that this last year.
Just overall basketball skills. OTE/GLeague you have unlimited training time and access to facilities/coaches. Ausar improved as a shooter and performed well in the playoffs as a shooter.