What's new

Gail Miller guarantees a title

LifeOnaPlate

Gail Miller recently published a faith-driven memoir/self-help book for members of the LDS Church. Her story of changing from "a timid, unsure housewife and stay-at-home mom to being the owner of one of the 200 largest privately owned businesses in the United States" is pretty impressive. She's candid about difficulties in her marriage with Larry (he was a workaholic), but she also talks about how he valued her as a partner in the company and always sought her input and gave her credit for her involvement.

I thought you all would be interested in some excerpts where she mentions the Jazz. She doesn't give any juicy inside details, but the ethos of how the team is managed comes through in what she shares here. We have Gail to thank for the outstanding gift of essentially giving the team to the state of Utah via a Trust. She's a real and invested fan of the team. We're truly fortunate to have owners like this.

Here's something from a chapter on patience:

"Because we're imperfect, it's fair to say we've all struggled with patience at some points in our journey. In fact I'm still asking the questions. 'When will the home repair be done? When will my child call me back? When will the Utah Jazz win an NBA title?' ... We're patient and prudent, of course, but we don't sit around quietly waiting for our turn. We're actively patient; we've turned patience into a verb. Because to be impatient could mean becoming foolish, imprudent, and impulsive. The only way to win a championship is to consistently work, plan, prepare, and tackle each day with patience for a better tomorrow." (p. 120)

Here's an excerpt later in the book on how success is relative:

"It's obvious that in sports, the ultimate measure of success is a championship, and no one wanted to win an NBA title more than Larry H. Miller. But time and time again, even after the close losses to the Chicago Bulls, Larry and I remained committed to our values. We continue to look for players of good character who reflect what we stand for. We hire good coaches who know how much the team means to our community. We can and will use our resources to enrich lives with good, wholesome entertainment, and as we do, we will continue top enjoy strong support from our fans and add economic value to our communities."

[She talks about when Larry played competitive softball and how he was sometimes faced with the chance to "condone a deal that was against league rules" or "look the other way," but he refused because he "wanted to win a championship the right way." She continues:]

"The same is true for the Jazz. We understand that each team starts on equal footing in October and by June there is only one champion. Let's not sugarcoat it, we want that trophy in Utah as much as anybody. That's what we play for. We put the best team we can on the floor and hope that this is the year. But if our players play their very best, if we entertain our fans and treat everyone well, we can deliver a successful experience. When we win a title, and we will, we'll do it the right way! Good guys don't always finish last." (pp. 143-144).

(If you're interested in my review of the book, it's here.)

If she tells Lindsey to open the flood gates and do whatever it takes to get over the hump than that will blindside the entire NBA landscape.

If she tells Lindsey to open the flood gates and do whatever it takes to get over the hump than that will blindside the entire NBA landscape.

At the Battle of Waterloo, the Imperial Guard was cruising to the center of British lines while Wellington was hunkered on a reverse hill slope. When the Guard got to nearly point blank range, Wellington yelled out "Now Maitland! Now's your time!" On the mark, 1500 Foot Guards rose up and slugged it out with the undefeated French Imperial Guard.

The British ( with the Prussians) kicked their ***. The rest was history.

Gail is operating smartly and setting up the team for long term success. When she unleashes Lindsey, it will change the League indeed.

At the Battle of Waterloo, the Imperial Guard was cruising to the center of British lines while Wellington was hunkered on a reverse hill slope. When the Guard got to nearly point blank range, Wellington yelled out "Now Maitland! Now's your time!" On the mark, 1500 Foot Guards rose up and slugged it out with the undefeated French Imperial Guard.

Gail is operating smartly and setting up the team for long term success. When she unleashes Lindsey, it will change the League indeed.

A+ Waterloo reference. (This history major approves of this post).

Jesus Waterloo? What next? 'Remember Cawnpore!'?

Change the league? Rrally? How? There is about 6 teams who are legit and the rest are pretenders

Besides my multiple neighbors in SLC who love it?

You do know that most people in SLC where the Jazz are located are not LDS right? In fact 80% are not LDS in SLC.
80% ? This is an unexpected rate for me. The image perceived from outside definitely gives the impression of a LDS majority.

80% ? This is an unexpected rate for me. The image perceived from outside definitely gives the impression of a LDS majority.
In Salt Lake City, no.

The mayor of Salt Lake City is a a lesbian woman. I don't know when the last time Salt Lake had a Republican mayor. Salt Lake City is not the LDS stronghold, that's Provo. Utah County is the seat of LDS power. They lost Salt Lake City and Salt Lake County a long long time ago.

I'm a proud non-LDS Utah native. I grew up in SLC proper. This is my city, this is my state! I get to have my home. Salt Lake City is ****ing awesome!

Besides my multiple neighbors in SLC who love it?

You do know that most people in SLC where the Jazz are located are not LDS right? In fact 80% are not LDS in SLC.

Ya and as far as the “whiteness” goes, in my department at work in the room I work in we have 8 people. 4 of them are white (including myself) 2 are Mexican, 1 is Cambodian, and 1 is Argentinian.
I’m certain that it’s way less white if you look into less skilled labor workers.

In Salt Lake City, no.

The mayor of Salt Lake City is a a lesbian woman. I don't know when the last time Salt Lake had a Republican mayor. Salt Lake City is not the LDS stronghold, that's Provo. Utah County is the seat of LDS power. They lost Salt Lake City and Salt Lake County a long long time ago.

I'm a proud non-LDS Utah native. I grew up in SLC proper. This is my city, this is my state! I get to have my home. Salt Lake City is ****ing awesome!

She has been an awful mayor so far.