What's new

Game Of Thrones

I think there will be seven when it's done. But I think it could do a well nineth book.

There's no way he lives long enough to write nine books. At his current pace that would put book nine somewhere around 2105.

There's no way he lives long enough to write nine books. At his current pace that would put book nine somewhere around 2105.
Lol. I agree though. Pace kills readers/viewers. I think Martin has caught this paranoid sickness of the fear of losing the prestige of being in the creating process of the story. He saw many who have fallen to void after finishing their masterpiece and he tries to avoid falling into the same place by making it last forever.

He should pick a protege who can carry out his writing.

3o3262p.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N90D68_NfQ

I always imagined him picking up the script of the TV show since he would never reach their pace. And write the books however he liked to. Whether it is according to the story-line of the Game of Thrones or alternative ways.

Last season of GOT was the least entertaining for me. I really don't have a lot of faith in the producers if they don't have the books as source material. The best seasons were the ones that most closely followed the books. As they have slashed major parts of it I feel like the story has suffered. The deviations that have already happened are odd and I don't feel like it makes the show any better. I'm sure they have their reasons.

That said, I'm less and less excited for the sixth book. I think GRRM is way too concerned about the SOIAF universe and he's forgetting about the characters and the story. The fact that it's taking so long is a symptom of that, imho. He's trying to flesh out a universe and maintain internal consistency. It hasn't made for the best reading experience in book 4 and 5, but so much of what happened in books 4 and 5 mattered, yet the show turned both books into a single subpar season by leaving out and altering the best bits of those books.

The whole thing kind of blows. I'll watch the coming season of the show and I'll read book 6 when it comes out. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Widening the universe is not necessarily a bad thing. You can only blame Martin for selling it out to a TV show. Conan's Hyboria world is bigger than ASOIAF and it rules.

Last season of GOT was the least entertaining for me. I really don't have a lot of faith in the producers if they don't have the books as source material. The best seasons were the ones that most closely followed the books. As they have slashed major parts of it I feel like the story has suffered. The deviations that have already happened are odd and I don't feel like it makes the show any better. I'm sure they have their reasons.

That said, I'm less and less excited for the sixth book. I think GRRM is way too concerned about the SOIAF universe and he's forgetting about the characters and the story. The fact that it's taking so long is a symptom of that, imho. He's trying to flesh out a universe and maintain internal consistency. It hasn't made for the best reading experience in book 4 and 5, but so much of what happened in books 4 and 5 mattered, yet the show turned both books into a single subpar season by leaving out and altering the best bits of those books.

The whole thing kind of blows. I'll watch the coming season of the show and I'll read book 6 when it comes out. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
This

We all knew it would happen:

https://grrm.livejournal.com/465247.html

Martin must have been the last person in the world who genuinely thought the show would never catch up with his books. The blind spot there is pretty impressive.

It does seem pretty obvious, but maybe he wasn't aware that they were going to cover book 4 and 5 in a single season, especially since they split book 3 into two seasons. Had they covered books 4 and 5 in two seasons he most likely would have had book 6 out before they got there. But there's no way in hell he gets book 7 out before the show. I can't believe he really thought that unless he's been writing book 6 and 7 at the same time.

I'd be willing to put money on him not finishing the series while he's still alive. They'll have to scrape together what he has, polish it up and publish it posthumously.

I actually liked seaon 5. The last 3 episode saved the season for me. The best Game Of Thrones seasons are the ones that most closely follow the books in large part because those are the best books, thats why they were followed so closely. People forget how boring Dance with Dragons and Feast of Crows was.

I actually liked seaon 5. The last 3 episode saved the season for me. The best Game Of Thrones seasons are the ones that most closely follow the books in large part because those are the best books, thats why they were followed so closely. People forget how boring Dance with Dragons and Feast of Crows was.
I agree but stuff did happen. Important stuff. The show went in completely different directions and it seemed like a bad call to me. One thing for sure, the will be significant differences in the stories going forward because of those omissions and additions.

I'm really interested to see what they do with the Greyjoy storylines if anything at all.

Seems to me the writer is more about working with HBO than writing the books to appease the publishers now?

I wonder how much $$$ he makes from each in comparison.

Seems to me the writer is more about working with HBO than writing the books to appease the publishers now?

I wonder how much $$$ he makes from each in comparison.

What in the world are you basing that on? He's a novelist. He sold one of his novels to HBO. He consulted with them, but he's not part of the production of the show full-time.

Releasing the next book will be really good for the show. Better for the publishing company if it's released before that part of the show airs. Like way better.

What in the world are you basing that on? He's a novelist. He sold one of his novels to HBO. He consulted with them, but he's not part of the production of the show full-time.

Releasing the next book will be really good for the show. Better for the publishing company if it's released before that part of the show airs. Like way better.

I'm simply posing a question for discussion.

- Exposure GOT is reaching a much wider audience now with the show than the book ever would alone. If exposure to his work is what he's after, focussing on the show makes sense.

- Longevity He is old, his books cannot carry on once he's gone, but the show can (ala the world of Star Wars and George Lucas). His time would be better spent working on an outline of stories for the producers after he's gone than writing the books (if he wants the stories to continue).