What's new

Game Thread! Jazz vs. T-Wolves

The Wolves have no inside presence. Due to this we scored inside the paint at will and shot a lot of uncontested threes (and shot well from behind the ark on this night).

We would have won by many more had MN not had 14 offensive boards.

It was nice to see Evans actually play some good time as well.

Rudy was incredible, Evans was impressive, Booker was going after it, and Trey was brilliant as well.

Let us be pleased, but cautious. This was against a team with only 5 wins. Not sure how much to take away from this game, other than the players above showed some real heart.

I don't think this one game proves or dusproves anything about the Rudy and Derrick combo. Until Rudy beasted the team was really struggling to score with those two sharing the floor. It should also be noted that the pups have almost zero inside presence now. That is not true with most teams.

With all of that said, Gobert was playing like a #1 pick. Steal of the draft.

Trey was even playing like a #9 pick from a good draft.

Rudy was incredible, Evans was impressive, Booker was going after it, and Trey was brilliant as well.

Let us be pleased, but cautious. This was against a team with only 5 wins. Not sure how much to take away from this game, other than the players above showed some real heart.

I don't think this one game proves or dusproves anything about the Rudy and Derrick combo. Until Rudy beasted the team was really struggling to score with those two sharing the floor. It should also be noted that the pups have almost zero inside presence now. That is not true with most teams.

Can't really say anything about the Rudy/Favors combo when you got a wing as ****ty as Ingles in there too. We need another starter who can score, especially shoot, if we have Rudy/Favors.

Would anyone trade Gobert for Andrew Wiggins?

I don't think I would.

Not a chance. Dominant bigs are just too hard to find. Rudy took over the game in the 3rd quarter with his defense. He's also worked on the P&R a little; he had a couple of nice buckets off of it (one of them that amazing up and under). And he's only 2 years in to his NBA career. Rudy could turn into a 15/12/4 player.

I agree.

What's sick is how fluid he is. Most guys his size are stiff and clumsy. He moves like a deer. I haven't seen many bigs move like he does. Dwight Howard? KG in his prime? Dream?
He's often the first one down the court - not the first big...the first Jazz player. He runs like a gazelle.

Tough to do a comp. I think he's pretty unique in his skillset. He blocks shots but isn't a hulking presence like Eaton used to be. Comes out and sets good picks, but isn't an offensive force (yet). And he's shooting FT's like a guard. I'm not sure what the ceiling is for Rudy. Just imagine how good he might be if he continues to work on the P&R (now that the guards are passing to him after the screen) and maybe develops a hook shot.

Just three weeks ago, I was in the "not ready to start" crown. Now I'm just not sure what Utah does. Gobert is more than ready to start.

Not a chance. Dominant bigs are just too hard to find. Rudy took over the game in the 3rd quarter with his defense. He's also worked on the P&R a little; he had a couple of nice buckets off of it (one of them that amazing up and under). And he's only 2 years in to his NBA career. Rudy could turn into a 15/12/4 player.

That's true.

I'm still not seeing greatness from Andrew Wiggins either.

We are so Lucky to have snagged Gobert. Dominant rim protectors are hard to find. I think people have doubted Rudy because he is skinny and supposedly limited offensively. I see a beast in the making. I think his offense is going to be pretty good. He seems smart and hungry.

He's often the first one down the court - not the first big...the first Jazz player. He runs like a gazelle.

Tough to do a comp. I think he's pretty unique in his skillset. He blocks shots but isn't a hulking presence like Eaton used to be. Comes out and sets good picks, but isn't an offensive force (yet). And he's shooting FT's like a guard. I'm not sure what the ceiling is for Rudy. Just imagine how good he might be if he continues to work on the P&R (now that the guards are passing to him after the screen) and maybe develops a hook shot.

Just three weeks ago, I was in the "not ready to start" crown. Now I'm just not sure what Utah does. Gobert is more than ready to start.
I like tyson Chandler for a comp

Would anyone trade Gobert for Andrew Wiggins?

I don't think I would.

That's tough, but I would.

Wiggins is 19 while Rudy is 22 (will be 23 next season.

Both have elite bodies. While Gobert is an elite rim protector, Wiggins projects to be an elite wing defender. Perimeter defense is more important than ever in this league. Wiggins held Hayward to 4-13 and only 9 pts last night. For a 19 yr old, that is tremendous. For our team, our defensive woes our with our perimeter defense. Both Favors and Kanter (yes) our comparable to other starters in top echelon of west protecting rim within 10 ft.

A starting lineup of

Exum
Wiggins
Hayward
Kanter
Favors

Would be a killer lineup on both ends of the floor.

Neto or Trey
Burks
Hood
Booker
Cauley-Stein (jazz get lucky or do some draft day trade involving some expendable assets like Neto or Trey, Tomic, or one of our picks)

^ would also be an awesome bench.

wiggins has scored 20 pts or more in 4 of his last 5 games, while shooting above 50%. He could be a generational player.

Gobert will and is soooo nasty, though.

That's true.

I'm still not seeing greatness from Andrew Wiggins either.

We are so Lucky to have snagged Gobert. Dominant rim protectors are hard to find. I think people have doubted Rudy because he is skinny and supposedly limited offensively. I see a beast in the making. I think his offense is going to be pretty good. He seems smart and hungry.

Call me a homer (and I know Giannis has amazing potential, too), but 1 1/2 years in, I think Rudy is the #1 pick from 2013 if you did a redraft. The hunger is key. I don't fault Ty for not playing him more last season. Rudy looked lost when he got into games. Maybe part of it is the new coaching staff, but it's just incredible how much progress Gobert has made. You look at his game logs and can see the improvement from month-to-month. Throw him out there 30 mins and he's going to average 12/10/3 right now and change games defensively. And that's not even scratching the surface of what he might eventually be able to do. Gobert unveils new facets to his game all the time: the Euro step, the up and under, great interior passing. What I like about Quin is that he's feeding Gobert's hunger. We heard he and Trey had been working on P&R's. And we saw Rudy get a few chances in the Minnesota game. So now Rudy is getting to the line. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gobert have 3PT range when he returns next Fall. Just kidding, but it sure is fun watching a franchise player in the making (and not having to say, "damn, why didn't the Jazz draft that guy?!).