What's new

Game Thread! Jazz vs. T-Wolves

I only got to watch a part of the game, so I didn't notice. But looking at a shot chart for the jazz it was strange to see nearly all the made shots for the jazz were on the same side of the floor....the right side. So different than Jazz days gone by.

Didn't watch the 2nd half because of the Steelers game and there was no doubt in my mind that we'll win this one.

Happy for Trey but unfortunately we're not playing the Wolves all the time. He shoots and please sit down .349(387 FGA)/.286(154 3PA) against teams not named the Minnesota Timberwolves. But hey Black Jesus is back in town so yeaaaah...

Happy with our development and that we actually win games! But I also don't want to jump to any conclusion because our wins contain teams like the Magic, the 76ers and the Wolves(x2). The next 8 games will tell us a lot more about our team:

vs Indiana Pacers
@ Chicago Bulls
@ Oklahoma City Thunder
@ Houston Rockets
vs Golden State Warriors
vs Los Angeles Lakers
@ San Antonio Spurs
@ Cleveland Cavaliers

If we can win 3-4 games, I'll be really pumped and excited about not just our longterm future but moreso how much more we can do this season. And I'm not talking Playoffs or anything that would be utopic but 30 somethin wins would be sweet...I know I know you tankers wouldn't like that at all but I much rather see improvement of our current roster and young players than hope for a unknown player we don't have yet and have any idea if he's all that.

#jazzwin #notankland #ruDy

Just one ga...

Oh wait, we won???

Oh, cool!

Sorry, too busy watching NFL playoffs to give a damn. So I guess burke didn't suck tonight? So we shouldn't trade him? Or we should? Should we bench him or what? Exum 1-7, yikes! So is Exum not ready? Or is he? What's the mood today?

Top 10 opponent's field goal percentage at the rim while it is being defended. The defender being within five feet of the basket and within five feet of the offensive player attempting the shot.[FGA >= 4]

1. Rudy Gobert (38.9%)
2. Andrew Bogut (39.2%)
3. Roy Hibbert (40.7%)
4. Serge Ibaka (41.9%)
5. Chris Andersen (42.1%)
6. Donatas Motiejunas (42.3%)
7. Dwight Howard (42.5%)
8. Ersan Ilyasova (43.7%)
9. Taj Gibson (43.7%)
10. Ian Mahinmi (44.2%)

#ruDy #notankland

Rudy is in some pretty great company there in terms of interior defenders. Looks like that stat is definitely not a fluke.

Montienunas and Ilyasova are good rim-protectors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobert is the franchise, man. I'd free up either Favors or Kanter just to get him in the SL. Guys going to be a top 5 C very very soon!

Dantes game is a lot like mine. Promising talent, good 3 pt shot, but afraid of contact/driving in traffic.

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?33186-Rudy-Gobert-quot-Greatest-Jazz-Center-of-All-Time-quot-Countdown-Thread&p=964312&viewfull=1#post964312
via the greatest center countdown BP post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crMXZq_lzoM
Proof the stat guys suck at counting blocks

BEAST mode!

Loved the alley-oop. Would love to see Gobert get 3 or more of those per game.

From Wiki:

The term "alley-oop" is derived from the French term allez hop!, the cry of a circus acrobat about to leap.[4] The term "Alley Oop" was first used in the 1950s by the San Francisco 49ers of the NFL to describe a high arcing pass to wide receiver R.C. Owens, who would outleap smaller cornerbacks for touchdown receptions ("The Catch", the famous Dwight Clark touchdown reception from Joe Montana by which the 49ers gained entry into their first Super Bowl, was also an "Alley Oop" pass) and later became more well-known from its use in basketball.

Is it just a coincidence that it's a French term?

Gobert is the franchise, man. I'd free up either Favors or Kanter just to get him in the SL. Guys going to be a top 5 C very very soon!

I agree.

What's sick is how fluid he is. Most guys his size are stiff and clumsy. He moves like a deer. I haven't seen many bigs move like he does. Dwight Howard? KG in his prime? Dream?

I agree.

What's sick is how fluid he is. Most guys his size are stiff and clumsy. He moves like a deer. I haven't seen many bigs move like he does. Dwight Howard? KG in his prime? Dream?

He is so confident in his moves as well. There are at least a few times every game where I am like NOOOO what are you doing. Like that drive and dish to trey the other night. Then he just does it and well.

Last edited:
I agree.

In his first summer league, I saw him do the back-to-the-basket, fake to the middle, then spin around for the reverse layup and made it look smooth. I was blown away that a 7-1 guy had that ability and agility. And a great motor.

He is starting to show signs on offense too, making a dribble or two, making some passes. That dribble then up and under move last night was sweet.

That 3rd quarter was fantastic, especially since it really led to the Jazz win. Its one thing to put up stats that do not really contribute to a win, and then there are quarters like that. Go Rudy!

Gobert did something that I don't recall any of the other jazz players doing...he dominated.

He has dominated before in brief stretches, now in this game he did it for almost the entire quarter. That is progress. Now see if he can dominate in two quarters, then 3, then the whole game.

He is so confident in his moves as well. There are at least a few times every game where I am like NOOOO what are you doing. Like that drive and dish to trey the other night. Then he just does it and well.

He's confident in everything... He never looks lost on offense (like another big that shall not be named) he orders people around on offense. He's a great communicator out there as well. He has more of an effect on the game than Favors does... I think he's our best big right now. It is also cool that it looks like Favors and him will work out okay on offense as well. Defensively, what do you do with those guys in the middle?

Add an elite wing defender and have Exum develop and we will actually have a good defensive identity. I like where this is headed.