What's new

Game Thread: Utah v Sactown. Game in progress.

Boone is a pretty good announcer IMO besides his old man tendencies to get stuck in a middle of a sentence.

Boler got a good voice.

He's been like that from day 1. But I like Boone; I always have. I followed him from his last days as a member of the Utah Stars to his career in the NBA. Whichever teams Boone and Moses Malone played on were the teams I cheered for.

As for Harpring, he seems to have gotten away from color commentating to just trying to play cutsie with Boler. It's ok to have a few inside jokes, but we WANT to hear about basketball. Best color "guy" I heard this season was Nancy Lieberman. That game was a joy to listen to - all basketball talk from her and some of it pretty in-depth in terms of strategy, plays, etc.

Last edited:
How much do the Jazz have to pay for the kids to move????

I love jazzfanatical...

devils-spawn.jpg

I said it a few months ago.
We may not need a star-go-to-#1-option-player. We may already have that.

Hayward is a baller.
Mid range game on point
Three point game on point
Iso on point
Off ball spot up on point
Getting to the line
Finishing through contract
Passing, unselfish, glue guy
Rebounding
On ball defense
Transition offense and defense
That step back fadeaway will be one if the deadliest weapons in the league.

Dude is a star in any offense in any system no matter the teammates surrounding him.

I'm officially off the "tank" wagon. We have our core: Hayward, Favors, Exum, Gobert. We will add another top 10 pick this draft.

It's time to build this summer. We need to bring in vets to compliment our young guys, no more DLeague guys. Next year, I want us to compete for the 8th seed. The next year, I want us to compete for home court. The next year, I would love to have us compete for the #1 seed.

We have our talent. We have our "core 4". It's time for Hayward, Favors, Exum and Gobert to develop together, have talent around them, and start the progression to playoff team. Toss in role players like Burke, Burks, Hood, Booker, another top 10 pick, plus a vet big man and a vet swing player/PG to show the team how to prepare and compete night after night...

We are ready. This summer is the beginning.

I'm officially off the "tank" wagon. We have our core: Hayward, Favors, Exum, Gobert. We will add another top 10 pick this draft.

It's time to build this summer. We need to bring in vets to compliment our young guys, no more DLeague guys. Next year, I want us to compete for the 8th seed. The next year, I want us to compete for home court. The next year, I would love to have us compete for the #1 seed.

We have our talent. We have our "core 4". It's time for Hayward, Favors, Exum and Gobert to develop together, have talent around them, and start the progression to playoff team. Toss in role players like Burke, Burks, Hood, Booker, another top 10 pick, plus a vet big man and a vet swing player/PG to show the team how to prepare and compete night after night...

Burks is in the core too, I mean, he is signed for the next 4 years.

Hell yeah.

Except I hope we trade the first round pick if it facilitates bringing in a couple cheap bad asses. If the Jazz didn't completely **** up on the Alec extension we could be talking serious about competing. SMFH @ that contract, it's ****ed us from building right.

Burks is in the core too, I mean, he is signed for the next 4 years.

Here is where I am with Burks, and its where I've always been with Burks: 6th man of the year potential. We aren't winning a title with Burks as a starter. He is a little overpaid for a sixth man, but I'm okay with that.

The core is PG - Exum, SG - 3&D guy, SF - Hayward, PF - Favors, C - Gobert.

I'd move strongly consider moving Burks plus our pick for Korver or Matthews.

You know, I'm ok with Burks. With the cap jumping next summer, he will be paid right about where he belongs. The key now is surrounding our core 4: Exum, Hayward, Favors, Gobert with complimentary pieces and hoping Exum develops into an All Star.

If Exum becomes an All Star, we will be competing for titles.

Hell yeah.

Except I hope we trade the first round pick if it facilitates bringing in a couple cheap bad asses. If the Jazz didn't completely **** up on the Alec extension we could be talking serious about competing. SMFH @ that contract, it's ****ed us from building right.

My excitement with Burks will live and die with his perimeter-D. If he can be a plus-defender at the 2, he's a starter. If he's a sieve, then we have a rather-expensive 6th-man.

Assuming that Exum continues to develop his offense, that leaves us with good defense throughout our entire starters, with Burke and Kanter rounding out the bench.

Exum
Burks
Hayward
Favors
Gobert

Burke
Hood
3AndD
Ingles
Booker
Kanter

We need one more player to take the next-step offensively, and we need a really good defensive-wing who can hit threes. Hopefully Ingles learns how to hit threes. We need more shooting.

Whether we decide to draft another star, and package our current players for a wing-- or simply trade our pick for a great wing, and hope that we develop another star-- I'm not entirely certain. But we're almost, almost there. Gobert's progression has really changed this team.

To all of us who are ready to call the jury on Burks--

let's remember how literally 0% of us predicted that Hayward would be having the year that he's having this year. Will Burks make a jump this profound? I have my doubts. Will Burks make A jump? Absolutely. Especially with the player-developing personnel that we have. So let's not panic about Burks' contract just yet.

It's really weird to me how all-of-a-sudden people are really down on Burks lately. He's been sitting a couple of months now, hasn't he?

Gordon is definitely the big story in this game. A lot of his shots weren't even touching the rim. Supreme confidence and fluidity right now. If he adds a post game, then he'll be 22+ppg.

And if he is going to keep playing at the 2, then how on earth is this already NOT happening?

He can only add so many things to his game in an off-season. This off-season was dedicated to step-backs and shots in the lane.

Also don't know if there is enough spacing for him to regularly try out a post game.

It's really weird to me how all-of-a-sudden people are really down on Burks lately. He's been sitting a couple of months now, hasn't he?

Not only that, but his shoulder was obviously bothering him, which specially hurt his greatest skill (getting to the rim and drawing fouls).

I am really excited to see if Burks can make a leap next season. If so, we're pretty much set. Assuming Exum becomes a decent starter, of course.

How many players in the history of the NBA have just added a post-up game mid-season?

I don't know, man. That's not exactly my point. He's a 5th year player who gets paid mountains of cash to play basketball and it's one of the fundamental aspects of the game. He's also been celebrated as a potential mismatch at the 2 for years, but that angle most reliably works in the post. I guess I just don't get why it's not already there (especially if your angle is exploiting a mismatch, it shouldn't really be about out-guiling your defender as much as getting a deep catch then either overpowering or just getting an easy shot off against, say, Monta Ellis or players of that ilk).

Also, the post-up game doesn't have to be methodical and ball-pounding. In fact, it shouldn't, unless your goal is to draw a double-team (which is a thing also).