What's new

Gamethread: Indiana Pacers @ Utah Jazz. 7PM MST

It’s virtually the same roster as last season’s, and still quite young, so I don’t think it’s the roster regressing significantly. I don’t know, does anyone else sense that there might be a chemistry issue going on in the locker room? It’s the only thing I can come up with about the team’s current woes.

It’s virtually the same roster as last season’s, and still quite young, so I don’t think it’s the roster regressing significantly. I don’t know, does anyone else sense that there might be a chemistry issue going on in the locker room? It’s the only thing I can come up with about the team’s current woes.

All the guys seem to get along great, don't really think it's that.

... does anyone else sense that there might be a chemistry issue going on in the locker room?...

“Hey, get your ice picks out. Get all your stuff solved. Go out in the parking lot. Do whatever you have to do, to get all the nonsense taken care of, so we can play basketball. Let's get back to the business of basketball."

900.jpg

https://www.deseretnews.com/top/106...-1-Quotes-by-Utah-Jazz-coach-Jerry-Sloan.html

Are we sure this is a good team? Like... I don't mean 50+wins good? I mean even 40 wins good? Even last year when we were losing in our rough patch of the schedule without Gobert we were not getting blown out by 30 every second game? in 20 games this season we have more blow out losses than we've had in the last 2 years? This is not what a good team does.

I blame Favors. His presence is a clear indicator of our constant mediocrity. We let Millsap go, because of Favors. We didn't pursue Mirotic, because of Favors. We didn't sign Bjelica, because of Favors.

Such a great guy. Such a bad fit. Doesn't bust *** every night but entitled to start. Fits next to Gobert like Exum would fit next to Rubio in the starting lineup.
Funny you should say that as i would have greatly preferred Exum to Royce in the starting lineup. We needed more playmaking and volume scoring and Dante is much better at both those things. I mean, there's just no way Rubio-Royce-Ingles-Favors-Gobert can score. Ricky Rubio has to be the volume scorer in that lineup!

How many games have we started in a hole? Rubio (30mpg) and Favors (23mpg) play twice as much as O'Neale(15) and Exum (17.5). AND, Exum and O'Neale play a ton of blowout minutes because our starters can't do their job.

So yes, I'm not going to blame those guys for our losing. Have they underachieved? Yes, but we don't lose because them.
Going by RPM, Dante has been the 411th and Royce has been the 421st best player in the league. Out of 434 guys. It's been a rough start for those two.

Reactions: MVP
Funny you should say that as i would have greatly preferred Exum to Royce in the starting lineup. We needed more playmaking and volume scoring and Dante is much better at both those things. I mean, there's just no way Rubio-Royce-Ingles-Favors-Gobert can score. Ricky Rubio has to be the volume scorer in that lineup!

I mean, I wouldn’t necessarily call “volume scoring” (7ppg on 39%/27% shooting) and “playmaking” (2.0 ast:to, -2.8 OBPM) two of exums strengths.

I was at the arena and my take aways.
Early turnovers suck. Rubio doesn’t protect the ball and it digs us into a whole. We never had any momentum.
No one wanted to step up tonight, felt like they phoned it in after the first quarter.
What was really painful was how easily the Pacers were able to score. Iirc the Pacers were shooting around 70% after the first quarter and we were below 40%. You can’t win with a disparity like that.

Normally I’ll defend our offense for moving well and our players simply not making their shots. And while that happened I also noticed that the ball movement didn’t really produce a whole lot. Just pass to the outside until someone has to take a shot before the shot clock ends. It was painful.

I think the worst part was at the arena there was ZERO energy. Normally even when the Jazz lose the game feels competitive, they go on a run and have big plays.
The biggest energy the arena got was back to back threes by Crowder in the third quarter that brought the game within 9.

We just don’t have a talented team, very limited on offense and it was painfully obvious tonight. Jazz should be embarrassed for getting blown out by 30 at home.
It felt like they quit earlier on, no heart, no drive. They didn’t seem to care. They deserved to be booed for their effort.

I mean, I wouldn’t necessarily call “volume scoring” (7ppg on 39%/27% shooting) and “playmaking” (2.0 ast:to, -2.8 OBPM) two of exums strengths.
Yeah. Only in comparison to Royce O'Neale. Usage 19.9 vs 13.5. Assist % 19.0 to 9.5. But yeah, when you're talking about starting Dante Exum for his scoring and playmaking it's fair to ask how we ended up in this place. It only took 1 injury??

Rubio 22.9 usage
Royce 13.5
Jingles 18.1
Favors 18.5
Gobert 16.8

Rubio should be like 4th or 5th in usage and setting up scorers. He should never, ever be the highest usage guy on a basketball court.