What's new

Getting glasses for the first time...

olden_undercover

Age is catching up with me, and I just got a prescription for bifocals on Friday. Over the weekend, I learned about the difference between bifocals and progressive lenses. I'm leaning toward progressives now, but don't have any experience, and they are quite a bit more expensive. What do you recommend, and why? Any recommendations for where to buy (I do have vision coverage, fwiw)?

Age is catching up with me, and I just got a prescription for bifocals on Friday. Over the weekend, I learned about the difference between bifocals and progressive lenses. I'm leaning toward progressives now, but don't have any experience, and they are quite a bit more expensive. What do you recommend, and why? Any recommendations for where to buy (I do have vision coverage, fwiw)?
My recommendation is to not worry about the price at all. You are going to use these more than almost anything else you'll buy this year. Get the best pair for you. A year from now you won't think about how much they cost but you will be reminded every day if you cheap out.

My recommendation is to not worry about the price at all. You are going to use these more than almost anything else you'll buy this year. Get the best pair for you. A year from now you won't think about how much they cost but you will be reminded every day if you cheap out.
Solid advice. Do you wear bifocals or progressives? I'm a little curious how people feel about one vs. the other, although it seems like a no-brainer to go with progressives.

I prefer regular bi-focals (well, I'm up to tri-focals now) because having the line makes it easier for me to switch, with progressives I it's not as easy to know which part you're looking through. I have had progressives before, and this just works better for me.

What is the major difference between bifocals and progressives. The lack of a distinct line?
With bifocals there are two focal lengths. If you want to read something, you look through the bottom of your lens. If you are driving then you look through the top of your lenses. Anything that is not distant or 18” inches away is a compromise. With progressive lenses the tilt of your head can let you easily focus on any point from 2’ feet away, to 5’ away, to 10’, 20’, you get the idea. Because you are looking at mid-distance objects through a more natural-for-that-distance lens, there is less strain and headaches.

I have progressives and like them fine. You get used to moving your head to the right place. I personally would be annoyed by the lines of bifocals.

Apparently you will need to stick with whichever type you start with, at least according to my ophthalmologist.

also width of the field of view for near, variation in distortion in the distance portion.
I don't know what this means. At near distances progressives gives a wider field of vision? What does variation in distortion in the distance portion mean? I would think bifocals would have less distortion because you're either looking through the near portion or the distance portion. With progressives I imagine there are fuzzy zones between near and far.

I don't know what this means. At near distances progressives gives a wider field of vision? What does variation in distortion in the distance portion mean? I would think bifocals would have less distortion because you're either looking through the near portion or the distance portion. With progressives I imagine there are fuzzy zones between near and far.

No, typically at near a bifocal offers a slightly wider field of view. And you're right yes, bifocals typically have no distortion in the distance part of the lens. Some particularly the older style progressives had noticeable distortion in the distance portion particularly peripherally. Although a lot of the newer designs are ground so much better that the older ones that the distortion are minimal.

Also i'd like to point out you're old af :cool:

No, typically at near a bifocal offers a slightly wider field of view. And you're right yes, bifocals typically have no distortion in the distance part of the lens. Some particularly the older style progressives had noticeable distortion in the distance portion particularly peripherally. Although a lot of the newer designs are ground so much better that the older ones that the distortion are minimal.

Also i'd like to point out you're old af :cool:
How old am I?

I have a condition called keratoconus and don't need progressives or bifocals. I think I'm on track to needing a cornea transplant.

How old am I?

I have a condition called keratoconus and don't need progressives or bifocals. I think I'm on track to needing a cornea transplant.

ooh ya that's a whole other kettle of fish. Wearing hard contacts ?

You must be youngish then

WTF

what did I do to deserve that?

I'm honestly getting a bit of a kick out of this. I asked questions about lenses that are not relevant to me because I was curious.

nah dude, you misunderstand. A lot of keratoconics report that they often used to rub their eyes quite a lot when they were kids