What's new

"Give me until January"

JFFR

During the preseason I talked to a guy at church who said he ran into Coach Snyder in Sun Valley in August/September. This guy has been a season ticket holder since the Jazz came to SLC, so his wife went up and told Snyder they'd been season ticket holders 30+ years. They talked for a bit and the take home message was Snyder was optimistic but he said its going to take time. He said, "Wait until January to judge me."

Maybe that offers a glimmer of hope.

Oh, and just as a reminder, December is going to be brutal. There is a good chance the Jazz will go on a 10+ game losing streak.

Realistically, there is a better chance for a 10+ game winning streak. Neither will happen.

I'm still optimistic. It's hard to much worse in terms of shooting efficiency.

If the recent foul drawing from Hood is at least a little real, then the offense should improve.

Well I will judge him on a couple of things right now,...

his post game interviews show courage, restraint and a high level of intellectual and emotional intelligence. Very admiral.

He has kept the players sticking together and playing hard. Unfortunately, this will increase in difficultly.

I hope they do pull it together by January, but the playoffs will probably be out of reach then. Maybe then Lindsey can flip Joe Johnson, Thabo, Ekpe, or Favors for a pick or two.

Well I will judge him on a couple of things right now,...

his post game interviews show courage, restraint and a high level of intellectual and emotional intelligence. Very admiral.

He has kept the players sticking together and playing hard. Unfortunately, this will increase in difficultly.

I hope they do pull it together by January, but the playoffs will probably be out of reach then. Maybe then Lindsey can flip Joe Johnson, Thabo, Ekpe, or Favors for a pick or two.

Quin buys himself a lot of leeway just by sounding smart.

Corbin, who I'm sure knows a **** ton about basketball, just didn't have the vocabulary to really impress anyone into believing him.

I would be more harsh on Quin, but I feel like the majority of the issues are on DL (roster construction).

But then again, Corbin faced equally as bad roster construction issues and still got **** on by Jazzfanz.

Yes Cy I think there is some truth to that. Ty Corbin suffered from a kind of whiney nasally tone in his voice that kept him from sounding strong. It's not just basketball fans that fall for it, we see it everyday. People who are good looking or smooth talking get chances and opportunities others don't.

IMO, the area Quin should be critiqued more is player development. Kanter, Trey Burke, Trey Lyles, Favors and Burks, Pleiss, Neto, Bolomboy, Hood, Exum all underperform their expectations but Quin is somehow still described as a coach who transforms or revitalizes players, and the Jazz coaching staff is credited for being great with player development. It might be true for some players, but not enough of them.

Quin buys himself a lot of leeway just by sounding smart.

Corbin, who I'm sure knows a **** ton about basketball, just didn't have the vocabulary to really impress anyone into believing him.

I would be more harsh on Quin, but I feel like the majority of the issues are on DL (roster construction).

But then again, Corbin faced equally as bad roster construction issues and still got **** on by Jazzfanz.

This is some of the dumbest **** I've read on this site. No ****, Corbin knows a **** ton about ball. Most NBA players do. That doesn't mean they know as much as others or as much as a good HC should know, or more importantly, have an ability to effectively communicate ideas, lead, adapt, think out of the box, analyze data, motivate, or do any one of many important things a good head coach should be able to do.

Yes Cy I think there is some truth to that. Ty Corbin suffered from a kind of whiney nasally tone in his voice that kept him from sounding strong. It's not just basketball fans that fall for it, we see it everyday. People who are good looking or smooth talking get chances and opportunities others don't.

IMO, the area Quin should be critiqued more is player development. Kanter, Trey Burke, Trey Lyles, Favors and Burks, Pleiss, Neto, Bolomboy, Hood, Exum all underperform their expectations but Quin is somehow still described as a coach who transforms or revitalizes players, and the Jazz coaching staff is credited for being great with player development. It might be true for some players, but not enough of them.

Wait, what? Hood has under performed expectations? He was a draft pick in the 20's. He has exceeded expectations by a big factor.

Pleiss, Neto, and Bolomboy had expectations to be NBA players? Are you smoking rocks?

Kanter spent half a season with Snyder....

Burke was trash. Jerry Sloan couldn't develop him into a NBA PG.

Lyles had it rough and got traded. He looked promising his rookie year then got caught in a minutes pinch during a sophomore slump.

Exum has had two season ending injuries. What can Quin do about that? Hard to develop a guy if half his time he is in street clothes.

Same with Burks. Burks has been injured more than he has been healthy during Quin's time with the Jazz.

Favors is a victim of Quin's system hating traditional PF's. Also, he has developed. He has become a much better mid-range shooter and now can even shoot the corner 3.

This is some of the dumbest **** I've read on this site. No ****, Corbin knows a **** ton about ball. Most NBA players do. That doesn't mean they know as much as others or as much as a good HC should know, or more importantly, have an ability to effectively communicate ideas, lead, adapt, think out of the box, analyze data, motivate, or do any one of many important things a good head coach should be able to do.

And that has what to do with what I wrote?

My post was about public perception of their coaching abilities due to the way they speak to the public. I think there might be a strong racial component to it too. Black HC's in the NBA definitely have a shorter leash

You can't win when your point guard shoots 22% or whatever it is right now. We learned this already with Trey Burke.

I'm amazed how streaky Rubio can be. He had some great games just a couple weeks ago.

There you go again. You assign someone a position and then argue against it. Here let me try...

You say that Quin is the best player development coach in the league you must be (insert personal insult here). He sent Rudy to D-league, and it was only Rudy's incredible length and personal drive that made him the player he is. Hayward never took a leap under Snyder it was after he worked out with Kobe Bryant for the summer that he became an all-star. Ricky Rubio has been working with Quin for 3 or 4 months now and is posting career lows in multiple statistical measurements. Shelvin Mack is a victim of coach quin too in Atlanta then Utah, but now that he is playing in Orlando he is posting career highs in multiple categories.

not fair to synder. what can he do when players are just missing shots? our d is good. players just can't make anything

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

There you go again. You assign someone a position and then argue against it. Here let me try...

You say that Quin is the best player development coach in the league you must be (insert personal insult here). He sent Rudy to D-league, and it was only Rudy's incredible length and personal drive that made him the player he is. Hayward never took a leap under Snyder it was after he worked out with Kobe Bryant for the summer that he became an all-star. Ricky Rubio has been working with Quin for 3 or 4 months now and is posting career lows in multiple statistical measurements. Shelvin Mack is a victim of coach quin too in Atlanta then Utah, but now that he is playing in Orlando he is posting career highs in multiple categories.

You take stupid pills today? Corbin sent Gobrt to the G-League. Snyder never put Gobert there.

Uhh, head coaches don't train players in the off-season bud. Hayward spending a week with Kobe didn't make him an All-Star. Quin's assistant (Bryant) and his system did (and Hayward himself ofc). Quin is responsible for that hire, who is in turn responsible for training Hayward.

Quin has not been working with Rubio for 4 months you dunce. Rubio got into Utah a week before camp started because of his commitment to the Spanish National Team. Yes, they had been communicating a lot, but a coach cant develop a player through a few months of phone calls and text messages.

And again, what dunce cap are you wearing? Mack is averaging 4 points on 36% shooting in Orlando. Mack put career highs in Utah.

How did I assign you a position? You listed a bunch of players you say Quin failed to develop and I responded with logic.

I really hope the jazz win soon. My wasted time on the internet sucks right now. Bunch of downers.

The key is Rubio. He was playing well and the Jazz were looking like a playoff team. Now he's hurting the team.

It's too bad we don't have Exum this season.

I'm still optimistic. It's hard to much worse in terms of shooting efficiency.

If the recent foul drawing from Hood is at least a little real, then the offense should improve.

Hood getting to the line is probably the most important 'breakthrough'.

Not sure it will last ....

not fair to synder. what can he do when players are just missing shots? our d is good. players just can't make anything

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I agree with this to an extent, but why does he treat this team like the Warriors. This team isn't designed to be a jump shooting team. Need more looks near the rim - but when Gobert gets clogged up in the middle its vital for the team to knock down the open shot.

Hood getting to the line is probably the most important 'breakthrough'.

Not sure it will last ....

Now if only he knew how to shoot (which is his basically only tangible skill). he's 20/73 (27%) from the field and 6/35 (17%) from 3 over his last 5 games. He's terrible defensively, having a (by far) career worst in defensive metrics (worst DBPM on the team at -2.9), and career worsts in rebounding, turnovers, steals, BPM, VORP, and PER. In fact he's never even had a PER of 15 (the average NBA player). He needs to do a lot more than just get a couple more free throws a game if he's going to have such a high usage.