What's new

Gobert extension value?

phippsj

Any cap experts here project what his max extension could be? Pros/Cons of Rudy signing an extension this year?

I think there are 2 weeks left so talks will probably get serious soon

I can't think of a con from either side. Question is will it be a 4 year or a 5 year (designated player).

I dunno about the cap yet; but this is what Utah needs to prepare for:

Andre Drummond - 5/113
Al Horford - 4/113
Hassan - 4/98
Dwight Howard - 3/70
Bismack - 4/72
Joakim Noah - 4/72
Ian Mahinmi - 4/64
Tim Mozgov - 4/64

High - 4/90
Low 4/80

I doubt The Jazz would offer more than 4/80 unless their hand was forced on an offer sheet.

I think they'll go as high as 4/75 in the next couple weeks. I don't know if that gets it done - probably not.

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?51826-Jazz-2017-gt-onwards-payroll-projection

addressed that situation a little bit earlier this summer.
tl;dr: if they negotiate next season, they'll have most likely roughly 12M of capspace - unless they renounce some players.

also: he'll be offered max next summer, this year I guess he'd leave maybe 2 annually for added security. But there's little urgency for both parties unless they also want to restructure Favors contract or make an early impression on Hayward.

I dunno about the cap yet; but this is what Utah needs to prepare for:

Andre Drummond - 5/113
Al Horford - 4/113
Hassan - 4/98
Dwight Howard - 3/70
Bismack - 4/72
Joakim Noah - 4/72
Ian Mahinmi - 4/64
Tim Mozgov - 4/64

High - 4/90
Low 4/80

I doubt The Jazz would offer more than 4/80 unless their hand was forced on an offer sheet.

I think they'll go as high as 4/75 in the next couple weeks. I don't know if that gets it done - probably not.

Warning: I got blasted for the mere suggestion that Whiteside would help set Gobert's market value. The response was "he gets a max deal, period, Whiteside is irrelevant"

To me he is max or near max, the only 2 questions are (1) do they use their single 5-year designated player contract on Gobert, Hayward, or neither? (2) sign now or match next year? affording them some cap flexibility next year.

Warning: I got blasted for the mere suggestion that Whiteside would help set Gobert's market value. The response was "he gets a max deal, period, Whiteside is irrelevant"

To me he is max or near max, the only 2 questions are (1) do they use their single 5-year designated player contract on Gobert, Hayward, or neither? (2) sign now or match next year? affording them some cap flexibility next year.

If Gobert wants a max, he'll worst case sign a sheet with another team, 4 yrs - 4.5% raises. Restricted free agency always overpay on offer sheets yadayada(you said yourself he's near max)

the 5 year franchise tag only affects early extensions of rookie contracts. If he's signing this summer, he'd be their franchise tag. Next summer they can use his bird rights and still offer him 5 years max regardless if someone else has the franchise tag(loophole they forgot)

So yes, he'll get max regardless of Whiteside's contract.

IDK if there is any advantage to extending him now other than helping his peace of mind.

And showing Hayward (and Favors I guess) we're serious about keeping this core intact and contending. Would love Rudy to take a slight discount. I'd be very happy with 4/80 or 5/100. Rudy would become my all-time favorite player though if he took a significant discount and realized the need for some sacrifice to keep the core together and signed a 5/90.

I don't see an extention working for either side very well. Jazz would lose a ton of cap space and Gobert would lose some money. It's a lose/lose situation for both sides as I see it, therefore I have very little hope a deal will be struck this season.

More likely is an extention for Favors IMHO.

I'd put a Gobert extention at less than 5%. Favors maybe 30%.

The Gobert of last year wasn't worth a max. Maybe he will continue his preseason play into the season and be worth a max.

If the Jazz can extend him for $16-$18 million a year, then do it. If not, then wait.

The Gobert of last year wasn't worth a max. Maybe he will continue his preseason play into the season and be worth a max.

If the Jazz can extend him for $16-$18 million a year, then do it. If not, then wait.

I think we're gonna have to wait.

$16 - $18 puts him at or below Bismack and Joakim Noah. I think his agent will want more.

I think open market nets him at least 20 million per year. And that's assuming he has a modestly better season than last and stays healthy.

With Exum back and Diaw on board Gobert could be looking at Whiteside or greater money if he goes breakout.

$16 - $18 puts him at or below Bismack and Joakim Noah. I think his agent will want more.

I think open market nets him at least 20 million per year. And that's assuming he has a modestly better season than last and stays healthy.

With Exum back and Diaw on board Gobert could be looking at Whiteside or greater money if he goes breakout.

all this.

Why did Greek Freak sign the extension? Does he not clearly have more upside than Gobert? I think the Jazz might be able to convince Rudy and his agent to sign for what Greek Freak got and get the deal over with now.

And that's the problem with Gobert. Rudy's "poor" performance last year could very easily have been the result of inept point guard play at both ends of the floor, which a healthy Exum and Hill fix. However, if Gobert needs a strong supporting cast to be even moderately effective, then how can he be worthy of a max deal?

And that's the problem with Gobert. Rudy's "poor" performance last year could very easily have been the result of inept point guard play at both ends of the floor, which a healthy Exum and Hill fix. However, if Gobert needs a strong supporting cast to be even moderately effective, then how can he be worthy of a max deal?

I don't disagree with you but there is "worthy of a max deal" and then there is what the market will pay.

If you're a viable NBA player with upside, the market pays above worth about 95% of the time - especially these days.

I don't disagree with you but there is "worthy of a max deal" and then there is what the market will pay.

If you're a viable NBA player with upside, the market pays above worth about 95% of the time - especially these days.

more this