What's new

Gobert -- felt like a Deron situation

The twenty-seventh pick.

Blows my mind.

Tony Parker was 28th and Manu was 57th. Does the NBA still undervalue many international players with no college experience, or is the draft just damn hard?

Rep for synopsis of the game beyond the box score. Announcers verbally blow him and what not?

It's easy when you have talent to try and compare them to someone else. I hope that we have a guy on our hands that you can't compare. The leagues first ever Rudy Gobert.

Well said. Let's enjoy Rudy for the player he is now and for the player he will become. Maybe he's a poor-man's Hassan Whiteside (just kidding). Gobert is part of a very good big rotation (if Utah can get Kanter refocused). Maybe all of them play <30 mins. That will affect overall numbers. I do agree he needs to develop 1-2 'go-to' shots. But even when he doesn't get a ton of blocks, he changes shots. Adn his presence causes guards to drive, stop, and back the ball out again.

Rep for synopsis of the game beyond the box score. Announcers verbally blow him and what not?

Just watch the highlights. I liked the "Don't Go-bert" line and the announcer asking when the first Jazz game was after the break. I know there's little defense played, but the coast to coast dunk was fun to watch. The Rising Stars game was definitely Rudy's debutante ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHy3nvcbndU&spfreload=10

Is there a good Nuggets forum around that I'm missing? I was hoping to read some crying over Gobert , but the ones I checked haven't had posts for multiple days. They've all checked out of this season apparently.

Just watch the highlights. I liked the "Don't Go-bert" line and the announcer asking when the first Jazz game was after the break. I know there's little defense played, but the coast to coast dunk was fun to watch. The Rising Stars game was definitely Rudy's debutante ball.

Yeah, nice change. I was listening to NBA radio on XM a month ago and they were lamenting the lack of quality teams to watch. They said "Do you want to watch, like, Utah play?" followed by laughter. No more.

If Iam not mistaken, Gobert was sort of Sloan's find. Sloan had called the FO's attention to this kid during the camps and deserves some credit for this. Of course the FO did a good job of grabbing him with both hands

If Iam not mistaken, Gobert was sort of Sloan's find. Sloan had called the FO's attention to this kid during the camps and deserves some credit for this. Of course the FO did a good job of grabbing him with both hands
Gobert was on the radar before then. Rich Sheubrooks was hired by Utah in 2011 to head up global scouting, He was the Global Basketball Consultant for Nike and was the key force in assembling the World team for the Nike Hoop Summit for 14 years before being hired by Utah. So yes, Sloan certainly liked Gobert during workouts, but Shuebrooks was likely the one who did the bulk of the scouting, Also recall an article (can't find it now) that Lindsey gives a full afternoon to the international scouts in their pre-draft meetings. Used to be just a few hours. Lindsey is clearly ahead of most of the pack when it comes to recognizing the importance of evaluating int'l players. And no surprise, there. The best team to utilize int'l players has been the SA Spurs. Where would they have been without Parker and Ginobili?

I think were finding an old school type player breaking the mold in what the NBA scouts thought was more important. Watching him shoot jumpers in practice, I think he has the touch to eventually take his game slightly farther out from the rim than we've seen. Either way, I'm enjoying watching him play. Hope he stays a Jazz man through his whole career in the NBA.