What's new

Gobert/Rubio best PG combo since S&M?

Ron Mexico

Contributor
Do you think that Gobert and Rubio will become our best duo since Stockton and Malone? I think they are both going to play very well off each other. Gobert has never really had PG that can get him the ball properly. Rubio will love having a big that creates as much space as Gobert does in screens and rolls. Gobert demands so much attention on pick and rolls and really opens up the whole court.

The duo they would have to surpass is DWill and Boozer. I think they will and hopefully have more success. I know that team got lucky and made it to the Western finals but really they 2nd round out team. The competition is a lot stronger for this team though.

No. Malone and John are honestly completely different from Rubio and Gobert. Even DWill and Boozer had way different styles than what Rubio and Gobert can be. We don't always have to compare people to previous duo's. Gobert isn't going to have a 15-20 footer like Boozer or Malone. That's just not what he's about but he'll definitely give us more on the other end than probably both of them combined (not saying much for Boozer).

So no. They COULD be something that we haven't had before though.

Do you think that Gobert and Rubio will become our best duo since Stockton and Malone? I think they are both going to play very well off each other. Gobert has never really had PG that can get him the ball properly. Rubio will love having a big that creates as much space as Gobert does in screens and rolls. Gobert demands so much attention on pick and rolls and really opens up the whole court.

The duo they would have to surpass is DWill and Boozer. I think they will and hopefully have more success. I know that team got lucky and made it to the Western finals but really they 2nd round out team. The competition is a lot stronger for this team though.

They won't even duplicate what Deron and Boozer did offensively

They won't even duplicate what Deron and Boozer did offensively
But they will be 1000x better on defense.

Plus I think they will be much more efficient offensively. People underestimate what Gobert brings offensively. He opens the court up more than any other player we have. Rubio doesn't have as much fire power offensively as DWill did but he is a better passer and makes players around him better.

I think they can produce more success if healthy.

I think we have a chance to be more like CP3 and DJ offensively. We should have a whole bunch of lob city.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Rubio is kind of a poor mans CP3. If Rubio could shoot better he could be on his level, I am just hoping he can bump up his 3 point percentage and finishing at the rim a bit. But Gobert is a rich mans DJ. We dont have another star like Griffin but we do have a much deeper team than anything the Clippers have had in the past few years. If we got Love I guess we would be a pretty similar team to the Clippers with potential to be better. Depending on what we gave up to get Love. Although I am pretty suspicious we get Love. A fully healthy Favor's would be better anyways since we would not have to give up any good players to get him.

Not a doubt in my mind. Defensively they will be light years ahead of any other recent PG-big combo, and offensively they will work out extremely well. Just look at how Ricky and another great screen-and-roller like Pekovic worked when they were both healthy (unfortunately Pek was just too big and heavy and didn't last long).

Last edited:
It's already been mentioned, but Gobert's offensive arsenal won't ever come close to matching that of Malone's or even Boozer's for that matter. Where a Rubio/Gobert can really excel is in the transition game. If it plays out like everybody is hoping, this team is going to be getting a lot of steals/deflections. Gobert is sneaky fast (for a man that size) and I think he can create 6-to-8 points per night for himself by simply outhustling opposing big men down the court and getting fed by Rubio on the break. The same can be said for our 2nd unit big men that will benefit from being on the court with an Exum/Mitchell/Sefelosha trio creating a ton of transition opportunities.

With all that being said, it's only going to work that way if that's what Snyder wants to do. Lindsay and Co. are obviously trying to create a defensive juggernaut basically out of necessity. Will Quinn want to limit how often we run, thus shortening offensive possessions for our opponents? Or now that we have a distributor like Rubio, will he preach that these transition opportunities are a way to score easy points for a team without a clear offensive leader?

I see some merit to both philosophies but I've gotta admit, I'm hoping we become a team that tries to create fast points off of opponent mistakes. I'm actually very fascinated to see what route Snyder opts to go.

I'm really curious to see what direction we go and how the defense will perform with the game the way it is today

No. Malone and John are honestly completely different from Rubio and Gobert. Even DWill and Boozer had way different styles than what Rubio and Gobert can be. We don't always have to compare people to previous duo's. Gobert isn't going to have a 15-20 footer like Boozer or Malone. That's just not what he's about but he'll definitely give us more on the other end than probably both of them combined (not saying much for Boozer).

So no. They COULD be something that we haven't had before though.

Nobody is saying they are similar and that is not what this thread is about. I was asking if they would be the best duo (PG and Big) that the Jazz have had since S&M. Asking if they will be better or not is not the same as saying anything about their skill sets.

I do think they'll be more effective than most PG-C combinations Jazz had before except DWill and Memo, but I also hope they won't be a duo and the rest of the the team benefits from Rubio too.

GH20

Don't short-change Malone's defense. He was all-NBA defensive team several times. Gobert is absolutely a better rim protector but in just terms of individual interior defense Malone was superb.

Rubio is kind of a poor mans CP3. If Rubio could shoot better he could be on his level, I am just hoping he can bump up his 3 point percentage and finishing at the rim a bit. But Gobert is a rich mans DJ. We dont have another star like Griffin but we do have a much deeper team than anything the Clippers have had in the past few years. If we got Love I guess we would be a pretty similar team to the Clippers with potential to be better. Depending on what we gave up to get Love. Although I am pretty suspicious we get Love. A fully healthy Favor's would be better anyways since we would not have to give up any good players to get him.
I wouldn't say Rubio is a poor man's anything. The Twolves never built the team around his strengths. His defense and actually his overall plus minus career are amazing. Gobert has the drive and skill to become dangerous on offense. He knows he needs to develop an outside shot. With the development we've seen in just the last year, I wouldn't be surprised if he has 15 foot range this year.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

Rubio's impact on this team will be greater than the impact George Hill had. I'm counting on it.

I think so. Boozer lacked was frustrating to watch on defense. There were so many times watching hill and Co miss the window to an easy wide open layup for Gobert and others. With Rubio you get a guy who can steal rebound and hound the ball. Gobert runs the floor amazingly for a 7 footer, I think we will see Gobert avg 20+ ppg. Rubio above 10 assists. Overall yes it will be the best duo since.

I think so. Boozer lacked was frustrating to watch on defense. There were so many times watching hill and Co miss the window to an easy wide open layup for Gobert and others. With Rubio you get a guy who can steal rebound and hound the ball. Gobert runs the floor amazingly for a 7 footer, I think we will see Gobert avg 20+ ppg. Rubio above 10 assists. Overall yes it will be the best duo since.

I think Rubio will be around 10 assist and could easily see him over. I think its a possibility Gobert is over 20 ppg but I would be a little surprised since he wont be the #1 offensive option. But I do think he can be around 17 ppg like he was towards the end of last season. I could also see Hood, Favors, Inlges, Rubio and Gobert all being around 15 ppg. I think we might see some pretty good balance on offense.