What's new

Golden State visits the Holy Jazz - An Official Game Thread

I know Dante has this reputation of being soft in his offensive game, but I've noticed something when he fights for position or to deny a pass he really hustles and tries hard, especially when he gets switched to a bigger guy. I've seen him numerous times on the low block trying to deny the pass to a much bigger opponent. Here's a situation from today's game where he simply refused to be walked over by Bogut and even boxed(pushed) him out of the way under the rim so Favors can get the rebound:

[gfy]UnawareImpishBirdofparadise[/gfy]

I love that... I wish he had more of those kinds of moments in offense, where he showed determination and physical play when going to the rim ...

Love this. To listen to some Jazz fans, you'd think Exum was a scared little girl. I doubt too many fans would expect him to be mixing it up with Bogut, let alone boxing him out successfully. I think fans would be well advised to have some patience with the kid. Once he builds his body up and gains some confidence, I think he's going to be something special.

He was still a big problem in the 4th quarter. At one point he shot a somewhat contested 20 footer with 20 seconds still on the shot clock and other times in the fourth where he bogged down the offense.

Don't get me wrong. He started strong and made a bunch of typical misTREYkes, but I'm looking for some positives too.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

The Jazz crushed the Warriors on the boards, ending up +14 for the game. Three guys had double-digit rebounds, and Favors wasn't even one of them.

This is largely due to the W's offense when playing small ball. All five guys at the perimeter setting multiple screens. It was strange to watch. They shoot a high percentage offsetting rebound discrepancies and getting back on D when needed. But yeah, live by the three and all that.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

I just can't see the Warriors winning it all. They have to have Bogut for every game of the playoffs, which will be difficult. Also, how are they going to matchup with the bigger teams?

I just can't see the Warriors winning it all. They have to have Bogut for every game of the playoffs, which will be difficult. Also, how are they going to matchup with the bigger teams?

Truth.
They are a really good defensive team which is important for the POs but like you said they need Bogut. And I don't know if the offense will be that good in the post season. It's better build for the RS. Once the perimeter defense gets tougher or the splash bros have a bad night who's getting the ball? Can't go down low w/o sacrificing defense w/ Lee. Imagine the Dubs playing small ball against Memphis? Z-Bo ain't no soft *** he'll go right @Green and probably destroy him. And they have the perimeter defenders to at least slow GSW down. That could be one bad matchup.

Truth.
They are a really good defensive team which is important for the POs but like you said they need Bogut. And I don't know if the offense will be that good in the post season. It's better build for the RS. Once the perimeter defense gets tougher or the splash bros have a bad night who's getting the ball? Can't go down low w/o sacrificing defense w/ Lee. Imagine the Dubs playing small ball against Memphis? Z-Bo ain't no soft *** he'll go right @Green and probably destroy him. And they have the perimeter defenders to at least slow GSW down. That could be one bad matchup.

I don't think Z-Bo would destroy Green. Green is pretty tough, as evidence by him blocking Kanter in the post 1-on-1.

I would just worry if Green has to go up against a guy like Aldridge, forcing Bogut to matchup with Aldridge. That forces possible foul trouble and brings him out of the paint, opening up rebounding and rim protection issues.

They totally need Enes! Enes for Barnes?

I don't think Z-Bo would destroy Green. Green is pretty tough, as evidence by him blocking Kanter in the post 1-on-1.

I would just worry if Green has to go up against a guy like Aldridge, forcing Bogut to matchup with Aldridge. That forces possible foul trouble and brings him out of the paint, opening up rebounding and rim protection issues.

Bro Z-Bo ain't no soft Enes. Enes doesn't recognize situations. He could easily beat many PFs(Green being one of them) w/ pure strength but he'll started to go baseline no matter who his opponent is. Z-Bo is tough, he knows he can beat Green in the post and I know Green ain't gonna back down either but Z-Bo is a different animal.

How many shots did Burke have to shoot with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock? Like 4? I mean, if we are going to hate on him, let's at least recognize he is given the ball a lot of the time with not enough time on the clock to really get a good look.

I see what you're saying, but Trey Burke doesn't help himself by being horrible in transition and pounding the ball into the ****ing ground for 10+ seconds on possessions consistently.

My thoughts exactly. A lot of times Trey has done it to himself. Trying to play like Steve Nash with a search dribble but the difference is he has no intention of passing.

I have to seriously ask if you watched tonight's game too. Trey is almost always the reason we do have shot clock violations or close to. He stops the ****ing ball, man. On three seperate occasions tonight he dribbled in place with ~12 secs left on the clock....and then with great urgency, continued this same practice of "lots of dribbling" and then took a desperation shot. On all these occasions, the ball was moving fine before he came in.

I'm not making this up or exaggerating.

That's like saying "well in his defense he has a hard time getting jobs because of being a convicted criminal".
This

I find it curious that I hear people saying that Trey had to shoot a lot of shots with time running down, and thus we shouldn't blame him for his horrible shooting. You absolutely nailed it with that post. It seems like he doesn't get the idea of ball movement, as if he's always been the man and never had to pass the ball with any degree of consistency. I hate watching Trey for exactly the reason you cited. He stops the ball and dribbles uselessly in the exact same place until he has to shoot a 30 foot shot. It's every damn game. He becomes more palatable when he makes everything he shoots.
See!

I didn`t watch the game, but if Al Jefferson had 15 points on 15 shots like Derrick had tonight, he would be pissed on by everyone in here.
Except that most of the argument was that he wasn't efficient and didn't play defense.

Favors at least plays defense.