What's new

GOP blocking funding for Cannabis legalization in Washington DC

Revolution 9

Contributor
I guess your votes don't matter. I understand you may disagree with it, but this is the will of the people.

WASHINGTON -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) conceded on Tuesday that Democrats probably won't be able to stop Republicans from blocking marijuana legalization in the District of Columbia.

"I'm opposed to what the House is trying to do. If they put it in there, it's going to be hard to take it out over here," Reid said, referring to parallel House and Senate versions of a spending bill. "But I oppose it."

Sources told The Huffington Post earlier on Tuesday that congressional lawmakers have struck a deal that would allow the nation's capital to keep its marijuana decriminalization policy in place, while barring D.C. from using funds to enact the legalization. The agreement would effectively defy the will of the almost 70 percent of D.C. voters who passed Initiative 71 in November. The initiative legalizes the possession of small amounts of marijuana for personal use while keeping sales illegal.

The D.C. pot law would be targeted under an omnibus spending bill to fund the government, which House Republicans expect to release Tuesday evening. Marijuana legalization advocates said they were outraged that Democrats did not appear to be doing as much as they could to prevent Congress from interfering with the initiative, especially after voters had already spoken.

One senior aide on Capitol Hill pushed back against the notion that the provision would actually prevent legalization from going into effect. The aide said it would instead bar the D.C. Council from passing any new laws to legalize and tax sales of the drug, which is precisely the kind of bill D.C. Mayor-elect Muriel Bowser (D) has said she would like legislators to pass soon.

Reid said there were several items tucked into the House GOP's spending plan that he was not prepared to accept, citing "extremist factions" in the party that want to chip away at health care, women's rights and environmental policy.

Since those people were also voted into their current positions, I suppose whether votes matter or not depends on your perspective on the issue.

Just have the mayor to tell the cops to stop enforcing the law. It's how we roll now in the Newnited States.

Republicans are the biggest scumbags on the planet (the elected officials...while I don't understand why anyone would be an affiliated Republican, or a Democrat for that matter, the regular run of the mill GOP voter is just like anyone else I guess), except for a select few. For a party that goes on and on about smaller government, they sure don't mind nixing that whole philosophy when something goes against their dumbass moral code.

Since those people were also voted into their current positions, I suppose whether votes matter or not depends on your perspective on the issue.

They weren't voted by the people of DC. It's a shame that some clown from Kentucky gets to run how their city works. Even the Founders didn't see that sort of idiocy coming.

Just have the mayor to tell the cops to stop enforcing the law. It's how we roll now in the Newnited States.

I hope they do. Let Congress enforce their own laws that go against the wishes of 70% of the voters.

Just want to mention that I have proof to put Harry Reid in jail for a LONG time.. but no one fn cares.
United States of pansies and passivity.

You either respect the democratic process, or you don't. For your example to make sense, the people would have to vote in a politician, only to have some power abusing D-bag to decide his opinion matters more than the majority, and decide the outcome of the election himself. You are correct in that anyone who thinks this way needs to find their way the hell out of politics, and it's up to the voters to help make sure the door doesn't hit them in the ***.

You either respect the democratic process, or you don't. For your example to make sense, the people would have to vote in a politician, only to have some power abusing D-bag to decide his opinion matters more than the majority, and decide the outcome of the election himself. You are correct in that anyone who thinks this way needs to find their way the hell out of politics, and it's up to the voters to help make sure the door doesn't hit them in the ***.

I agree with the second part of your post (and it was the point I was trying to get across), but I don't think the first is consistent with the spirit on which the country was founded. The Founders elected for a republic instead of a democracy specifically to prevent the will of majority from dictating laws. When I studied the process with which the Constitution was drafted, avoiding "the tyranny of the majority" was a major philosophical consideration. The majority simply decide which candidate best represents their views and/or interests, and they entrust that the representative will do his or her job.

They weren't voted by the people of DC. It's a shame that some clown from Kentucky gets to run how their city works. Even the Founders didn't see that sort of idiocy coming.

You make a good point. Representatives from KC have no business running DC.

Just want to mention that I have proof to put Harry Reid in jail for a LONG time.. but no one fn cares.

Nobody cares? Not even jagoffs like Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, and Glenn Beck? Give it to them...then see if people care what they have to say.

Nobody cares? Not even jagoffs like Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, and Glenn Beck? Give it to them...then see if people care what they have to say.

I hate what we have become. I am anti conspiracy theorism.. but there is some truly awful things happening with elected people of service. The fact you (seemingly), among most others (seemingly), choose to view it as merely partisanship is both abhorable and enabling and fueling our own overall demise as a country.

Harry Reid, while purporting to be a great moral person, has repeatedly done everything he can to line his own pockets. The list of RE deals is amazing. Reid might be one of the best white-collar criminals ever. And yes, you are unfortunately right. No one cares. Because if they did, and they tried to cross a powerful politician, they might wake up to a heap of trouble - or they might not wake up at all.

Harry Reid, while purporting to be a great moral person, has repeatedly done everything he can to line his own pockets. The list of RE deals is amazing. Reid might be one of the best white-collar criminals ever. And yes, you are unfortunately right. No one cares. Because if they did, and they tried to cross a powerful politician, they might wake up to a heap of trouble - or they might not wake up at all.

As hyperbolic as that may sound.. rep'd.

I hate what we have become. I am anti conspiracy theorism.. but there is some truly awful things happening with elected people of service. The fact you (seemingly), among most others (seemingly), choose to view it as merely partisanship is both abhorable and enabling and fueling our own overall demise as a country.

I'm serious. If you have proof those clowns would trumpet it to no end, and as much as I detest them they have an audience and they all hate him.

But spare me your last sentence, as if even if it were true that this is some new thing in American politics or some new attitude by the American populace. Rabid partisanship has been going on far longer than before I was born. And my most humble apologies for ever doubting you and your (seemingly) vague accusation against Harry Ried.

A politician lining his own pockets?!?!? In the United States?!?!?!? The HELL you say!!!!!

And here I thought all those lobbyists out in Washington were giving these guys boatloads of money for the good of the people...damn I'm naive.

I'm serious. If you have proof those clowns would trumpet it to no end, and as much as I detest them they have an audience and they all hate him.

I went on a nationally syndicated radio show and spilled the beans.. at great risk to me and my family (my perception, at least). The radio producer sent the broadcast to Hannity. He picked it up. Called me. We spoke for almost 2 hours.
Then another, more gravitating, issue arose and it was shuffled.

I guarantee any one of you.. spend 15 minutes with me and you will want to lead a charge, yourself, against a criminal in politician clothing.

What I learned (re-learned) is that EVERY news outlet is ALL about the moment. Moment defined as whatever sells.. no matter any other factor. It's not right/left.. it's money. Big surprise.

I went on a nationally syndicated radio show and spilled the beans.. at great risk to me and my family (my perception, at least). The radio producer sent the broadcast to Hannity. He picked it up. Called me. We spoke for almost 2 hours.
Then another, more gravitating, issue arose and it was shuffled.

Has anyone noticed there has been almost no new scandals revolving around money in Washington since the Jack Abramoff thing ten years ago?

These are the folks who have been investigated/indicted.

Mike Grimm - NY Congressman who threatened to throw a reporter off a balcony
Jesse Jackson Jr. - son of Jesse Jackson Sr. What more needs to be said?

Has everyone else just all of a sudden become honest? Or is there an agreement between democrats and republicans and their respective noise machines to make money off-limits?