What's new

Gordon at PG.

BENTLEY

I had this thought watching the 76s game tonight. Gordo is so much better distributing the ball than Harris is. And he's a good perimeter shooter. But most importantly - he's 6'8". Which is why he's better at the 2 than the 3. And might make him good at the 1 - a position of need for the Jazz, where it would benefit them to have an unselfish playmaker, who can shoot the three if need be, and will tower over opposing team's PGs. Is he too slow? I don't think so.
This also opens up the 2 spot for the K-mart version of Dwyane Wade, Alec Burks. (who's also a good playmaker for his teammates or for himself).

check out this starting lineup:

PG: Hayward
SG: Burks
SF: 2012 draft pick
PF: Millsap
C : Favors

Who was the last 6'8" PG?
Do you think Hayward can excel there?

I'd like to see Burks play a bunch before I commit to him starting. Also Harris scoring is nice...

I thought of this tonight too. He looked very comfortable with the rock. Not sure he's ultimately athletic enough to play the 1 though. Maybe he is. I wouldn't mind finding out. I also wouldn't mind seeing if Burks could fill this role either. Ya know, if he doesn't DNP.

I would be more comfortable if you switched Burks and Hayward in this line up.

No, this is so annoying. We need a fast PG who can push tempo, draw fouls, and make easy baskets at the rim. Hayward works well playing off Harris as a wing play maker. Hayward has some PG skills, but he isn't a PG.

I like it. I agree. Magic was 6'9"

Why not?

Hayward guarded point guards in college and in high school all the time.

I like it. I agree. Magic was 6'9"

Why not?

Hayward guarded point guards in college and in high school all the time.

Hmm........*rubs eyes*

Magic Johnson? The Magic Johnson that was one of the best NBA players of our generation?

Guarded NCAA PG's and High School PG's? By that rational, since both Burks and Jordan are 6'6" they will have similar careers and since I guarded High School PG's I can guard NBA PG's too, eh?

Hayward isn't a point guard. He has great court vision and delivers great passing, but this is because he's more suited to being able to receive the ball on the perimeter and either 1. shoot 2. pass 3. drive 4. drive and dish. He excels at 4, which is why I think he's more of Ginobiliesque. He's a great passer, though. I think, because of Hayward's passing, we'd need a point guard who can simply bring the ball up, has some semblance of running the floor and can just stay outside and bomb threes. It's why, despite not initially being impressed with him, I would prefer someone like Jimmer.

Hmm........*rubs eyes*

Magic Johnson? The Magic Johnson that was one of the best NBA players of our generation?

Guarded NCAA PG's and High School PG's? By that rational, since both Burks and Jordan are 6'6" they will have similar careers and since I guarded High School PG's I can guard NBA PG's too, eh?

What does your lack of ability have to do with Hayward?

Yes. Burks will be the next Jordan and Hayward is the next Magic/Bird, Favors is the next Dwight Howard, and Kanter is the next Gasol. I really believe that. Pretty good team huh?

Really though. You can't see it?

Jimmer
Hayward
Gilchrist
Kanter
Favors

3/4 swingman Millsap, 1/2 combo Burks. This lineup will look stupid in 3 years.

I would love to see Hayward Guarding Deron. I think Hayward is an excellent defender. It would be interesting to see that matchup considering what happened an all.

Is this thread a joke? Can you imagine how many points Ty Lawson and Derrick Rose would score on us?

Pardon my only seeing the positive. Thing is I didn't think Hayward could play the 2 but he's way better there than the 3. He's almost invisible at the 3. Truth be told I was one of the Hayward haters. I probably judged him on skin color and thought the Jazz drafted another Adam Keefe with their 9th overall pick. But Gordo excelled - AT THE 2 - (I thought he was too slow but I was wrong).

I dunno, it's an outside the box thought but so was playing him at the 2 (wasn't it?). After watching him against the 76ers I thought he looked like he could be a good 1 for the Jazz. Better than Harris anyway (who I'm thrilled had a good game tonight because he needs to be traded).

And why not? Because he's too slow.
He did pretty well against Kobe (in one game last year - but still the skill is there, and he was a rookie). Yeah, he's slower than Derrick Rose (but c'mon, Rose was the MVP). At least he's taller than Rose - most other PGs in the league are slower than Rose AND around the same height. 6'8" is nice at PG, fellas. And he's a decent defender (Surprise surprise - I didn't give him credit for it either).

It won't happen anyway, but I think it could be a really really good move.

nah.. gordon looked good when a pg brings it up and then passes off to him where he can this distro, he doesnt look as fluid bringing the ball up.

I had this thought watching the 76s game tonight. Gordo is so much better distributing the ball than Harris is. And he's a good perimeter shooter. But most importantly - he's 6'8". Which is why he's better at the 2 than the 3. And might make him good at the 1 - a position of need for the Jazz, where it would benefit them to have an unselfish playmaker, who can shoot the three if need be, and will tower over opposing team's PGs. Is he too slow? I don't think so.
This also opens up the 2 spot for the K-mart version of Dwyane Wade, Alec Burks. (who's also a good playmaker for his teammates or for himself).

check out this starting lineup:

PG: Hayward
SG: Burks
SF: 2012 draft pick
PF: Millsap
C : Favors

Who was the last 6'8" PG?
Do you think Hayward can excel there?
As much as people aren't going to like hearing this but with Hayward being a guy with good passing skills and good at making those around him better, it might be beneficial to have Harris as the pg of this team. Having a distributing pg could take away some of haywards effectiveness as a player. As long as Harris plays this good there is no need to find another pg. Harris is proven, who knows how long it might take to find a good starting point guard.