What's new

Gordon Hayward Says He's The Man

sojodave

I heard a radio interview and they asked Gordon, "what have you learned this year"? "I've learned that I can step up and be the man. I just need to get more consistent". I don't know if he's trying to set up his next contract, but he is delusional if that is what he learned this year. Does Gordon have any chance or being the "man"?

Hayward had a million chances to prove he is 'the man', but it's clear he won't be. He's, by far, our most gifted player offensively and defensively but doesn't have a fire burning inside him to be 'the man'. I'd love for him to stay on the team but he'll have to settle into a complementary piece to Burke and Burks (who both have 'the man' mentality). Consistency is Hayward's next crucial hurdle to clear for sure, but the same can be said for any promising young talent in the NBA.

Hayward can be the woman. Nothing to scoff at though. You know that behind every great man is an even greater woman.

I've always had a problem that Hayward has never really snapped on a ref when they've missed blatant fouls and gotten a T following a slew in the same game. But the biggest indicator he doesn't have the savage gene that the greats have was when he didn't defend himself when Delonte West punked him. The moping, sulking, hanging head, etc. also is not a good look.

I hate to trash him, because I want him to be a Jazz-man for life. He's got a unique skill-set to go with attractive size and athleticism, and can guard two (sometimes three) positions. He'd be a helluva 3rd guy as YB85 said.

He was also asked about his contract and would he be back, he replied that it was not up to him, it was up to the front office. Which gives you some insight into his negotiating position.

Bye bye Hayward.

hayward was the man for much of the season. our success greatly depended on how he was playing. however, he did not clarify the amount of success he had while being the man on this team. which was very little. more often than not he ended up being the man... to blame for shortcomings.

HH, dude, look at us!! We totally agree. I've said since day one that Hayward lacks the true fire to be anything more than a nice piece in this league.

I dont see a drive in him to be "great". Therefore he never will be.

Put Hayward in the Matt Harpring role on offense, aka "Don't ****ing dribble the ball", and he could be a really nice player. He is not a playmaker, no matter how much the coaching staff tried to make him into that. Let him come off curls and picks, shoot open shots, and don't ****ing dribble the ball.

Well I mean if he was more consistent he could be the man. But would you want him to be the man?

By those comments, I think it's pretty clear that G-Time has an overinflated opinion of himself. He's good at talking the talk...next step is walking it.