What's new

Grade the Utah Jazz draft.

Hendricks: C

All the best players got picked before him so I can't grade it too harshly. Should have spent some assets to get Bilal or Jarace. Had him ranked 21st overall, so value of -12.

George: D

Simply put a terrible draft pick with JHS still on the board. Refrained from a F just because he does have some nice upside. Had him ranked 23rd overall so a value of -7

Sensabaugh: A-

I'm not a Sensabaugh guy, but getting someone with his offensive talent this late in the draft is a good bet. I would have preferred Rupert or Sidy at this spot, but I get that betting on offense is probably more likely to pan out. Had him ranked 29th overall so the closest to fair draft value.

Last edited:
Overall I'll give the draft a B-.

I thought Ainge would be a little more aggressive with moving up and getting whoever our guy was, or at least taking advantage of other team's desperation and picking up assets.

- I like the Hendricks pick and there were only a couple guys I liked better than him when we drafted. I think I would give that pick an A-.
- I keep going back and forth on the Keyonte pick, but it feels like the Jazz see something in him that I don't so I'll give it a B-
- Brice was one of the few guys I watched a lot of (I'm a buckeye after all) and did not want any part of. I wished we would have gone for Jones at this pick. I also would have loved Sidy. This one is an F for me

The overall grade should be more heavily weighed against the higher picks, so I think a B- is appropriate even though it feels worse than that.

All the best players got picked before him so I can't grade it too harshly. Should have spent some assets to get Bilal or Jarace. Had him ranked 21st overall, so value of -12.

Simply put a terrible draft pick with JHS still on the board. Refrained from a F just because he does have some nice upside. Had him ranked 23rd overall so a value of -7

I'm not a Sensabaugh guy, but getting someone with his offensive talent this late in the draft is a good bet. I would have preferred Rupert or Sidy at this spot, but I get that betting on offense is probably more likely to pan out. Had him ranked 29th overall so the closest to fair draft value.
I'm not a college bball guy, but I mostly agree with this.

Hendricks: B- - could develop into JJJ-lite, which is a useful player but not spectacular.

Keyonte: D+/C- - I just really don't see it.

Sensabaugh: A- - The shot making is already pretty incredible.

Overall: C/C+

Last edited:

I saw that picture of Rupert by VW and BC. He looked so much smaller then Bilal imo.

Hendricks - A. Hindsight maybe a factor here and it was weird to see Cam "I Effed Your Mom While Chowing Down On A Can Of Corn" Whitmore drop twice past us. That said, there was rumored medical issues on his, as well as poor interviews and workouts apparently. As far as Hendricks, he was on my board a bit higher, so I'm happy with this one. I don't know that he's got perennial All-star potential, but I see him as being that useful guy who can guard just about any position, knock down shots, and just be a damn good player. Love his floor. That's what you hope to get at 9, so I'm satisfied here.

George - A-. I'm higher on him then most. I am very curious to see if we can develop him into a lead guard. But I like his attitude and think his stats are misleading to a degree (eye test). He needs polish to his game, but I love the "take a swing" pick here.

Sensabaugh - B. I had other guys a bit higher, but I absolutely adore his offensive game and ability to knock down shots anywhere. His defense needs a lot of improvement, but I think this is more a "needs time" than anything specifically physical just because he seems to bite of feints and fakes a bit too easily. That said, I don't think it's specifically a lack of effort so much as it's just discipline (things that are coachable). Passing needs work as well, but I think he projects as a fantastic Clarkson-type of player in that I think he can be a microwave scorer in the right situation.

Overall - A-/B+. I am f***ing excited about Hendricks and George. I think we should have traded up for Whitmore after 16, but hindsight is what it is.

Hendricks: A
George: D (I would have took Cam here)
Brice: D ( I think this was the place to not be safe and get crazy with a high potential guy who might bust. I would have taken GG here or Sidy)

I do think Hendricks will be a better player than the twins, black, and bilal. I think he will fit perfectly with our team.

George is a mystery to me. Huge question mark. I was really hoping wallace or bufkin would have been available at 16. stupid mavs/thunder screwed things up. I was against using stuff to trade up but with hindsight I wish we could have done 28 and 16 to get bufkin or wallace.

I think Brice will bust just like most guys picked around that time will bust. Should have went with upside and potential here and they definitely didn't do that.

Love Tay but someone said earlier we got great size.
We did on Hendricks but we selected 2 dudes (like 2 of the only dudes) that didn’t measure at the combine.

George looks like barely 6’3” and Brice looks 6’4-5”. That’s not great size.

Tay is an athlete but the other 2 really aren’t.

Overall grade is a C+ but only because Hendricks is an A for me.
fwiw (probably not much), keyonte is listed at 6'4" and brice at 6'6"

Brice Sensabaugh has shown a few flashes of playmaking. He's got some hidden upside if he can unlock it. He's already got a solid body and three-level scoring. Would love to see if he can become a playmaking wing in the NBA.
Do you think he is a 2 or a 3 in the nba?

There was a pretty big white dude taken out of creighton (I think) a while back who hung around the league for a while and bounced around a few teams who was a walking bucket but couldn't do much else at all. Anyone know who im thinking of?

Anyway, kind of what I expect from Brice.

Edit: I just remembered. Doug Mcdermot. Will brice be as good as him? Looking at Mcdermott college stats and he was way way better than brice (also played 4 years but all 4 were pretty amazing) He had 2 seasons shooting 49% from 3! averaged 26.7 point per game one year. never averaged less than 7 rebounds (one year averaged 8.2). Shot 60% from the field one year. Was bigger than brice at 6'8". Low turnover numbers.
Dude was a total stud in college and hasn't been very good in the nba, though to his credit he is still in the league (which really really surprises me.) Played for 7 teams. I doubt Brice will be as good as him.

Last edited:
Looking at Keyonte stats and he just scream chucker. Takes a ton of shots and doesn't make many of them, low assists, high turnovers, haven't heard much about him being a defender.

Man, the draft was going right up until the 10th pick and wallace was taken. Even then it kept going great with howard, lively, and dick going next. (three guys I didn't really want). Still had Cam, Hawkins, Bufkin, and JHS available. Then Hawkins and bufkin went back to back and messed it up. Still, I figured we would take Cam. I saw on jazzfanz we took George before it was announced in the delta center and I left before the crowd even got to hear the pick.

Looking at Keyonte stats and he just scream chucker. Takes a ton of shots and doesn't make many of them, low assists, high turnovers, haven't heard much about him being a defender.

Man, the draft was going right up until the 10th pick and wallace was taken. Even then it kept going great with howard, lively, and dick going next. (three guys I didn't really want). Still had Cam, Hawkins, Bufkin, and JHS available. Then Hawkins and bufkin went back to back and messed it up. Still, I figured we would take Cam. I saw on jazzfanz we took George before it was announced in the delta center and I left before the crowd even got to hear the pick.
If you believe what the beat writers reported it wouldnt have mattered who was picked, George was 10th on the Jazz's board.

Man, the Whitmore fall in value killed the Jazz.

I bet no one in the top 8 wanted to trade out because the draft went from being 9 deep in star potential to 8 deep. If Whitmore's value was what it was perceived to be from tape, the pick would have had a lot more value.

Dude was a total stud in college and hasn't been very good in the nba, though to his credit he is still in the league (which really really surprises me.) Played for 7 teams. I doubt Brice will be as good as him.
Sensabaugh scored more per minute last year than McDermott as a freshman, on only slightly worse true shooting (playing in the Big East - Creighton was in the MVC until McDermott's senior senior).

And McDermott is an NBA rotation player heading into his 10th season (averaging > 20mpg for his career). If the Jazz got that at 28, it's a huge win.

Sensabaugh scored more per minute last year than McDermott as a freshman, on only slightly worse true shooting (playing in the Big East - Creighton was in the MVC until McDermott's senior senior).

And McDermott is an NBA rotation player heading into his 10th season (averaging > 20mpg for his career). If the Jazz got that at 28, it's a huge win.
Anytime you get a rotation player at 28, that's a win and I think Brice will be that in a year or two.

I’m coming around on the Keyonte pick. Pretty nice skill set and potentially good player at #16. Don’t mind the flier on Sensabaugh’s scoring ability at 28. It comes down to that first pick.

Hoping Hendricks is a beast, but it’s definitely a downer when the front office says that things broke exactly how they didn’t want it to happen in the top 10. Them coming out to say that makes it seem like there was basically a league wide consensus top 8, and the Jazz knew they missed out. Confirming that they liked some of my guys more than the one they got makes me wish we maneuvered up for Black or Bilal.

Jazz will score 135 per game in Summer League and I’ll be super hyped though.

hendricks is an A. love the pick

keyonte is a C. dont love the pick dont hate the pick. going on record to say i absoutely would have drafted cam whitmore here. keyonte will have to transorm into a point guard, learn to pass, learn what is a good and bad shot.

brice is a C. normally youd be thrilled to find a shooter at 28. but this was no ordinary draft. while GG is knuckle head his athletism is extraordinary. we missed big by not taking him at 28. brice is the height of a shooting guard and the weight of a sumo. he needs to loose 25 lbs and start taking his fitness very seriously. he cannot guard a slow turtle and he has no position in the nba until he loses enough weight to play SG. but he is undeniably one of the best shooters in this draft.

hendricks is an A. love the pick

keyonte is a C. dont love the pick dont hate the pick. going on record to say i absoutely would have drafted cam whitmore here. keyonte will have to transorm into a point guard, learn to pass, learn what is a good and bad shot.

brice is a C. normally youd be thrilled to find a shooter at 28. but this was no ordinary draft. while GG is knuckle head his athletism is extraordinary. we missed big by not taking him at 28. brice is the height of a shooting guard and the weight of a sumo. he needs to loose 25 lbs and start taking his fitness very seriously. he cannot guard a slow turtle and he has no position in the nba until he loses enough weight to play SG. but he is undeniably one of the best shooters in this draft.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQK-B0pASM

Dont sleep on Sensabaugh's athleticism