What's new

Grade the Utah Jazz draft.

C

With their huge warchest of future picks I really wish they could've traded up for Ausur, Black, Bilal or Jarace. That was a real gut punch when those guys got picked at 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Last edited:
I'm really happy with our three trees in Kessler, Lauri, and Taylor Hendricks.

Already talked myself into Brice, great scorer and rebounder to mix with those 3 shot blockers.

Keyonte i'm still on the fence, I'll give our draft an A- to B+

Love this draft. Not sure about sensabaugh but was highly thought of early in the process, he is young and already scores at a high clip. If he improves his physique and defense could be an interesting player. Hendricks was a no brainer there unless went guard. I never thought george would be available at 16, thrilled.

First, just for actually drafting 3 players instead of parlaying one or more of those picks into other assets they get dropped an entire grade point. So B is the absolute best they could hope for to begin with. Drafting 3 rookies, 2 of whom will likely not stick anyway, was a bad move to begin with.

That said, whiffing on Cam drops them another grade point.

And finishing it off with short and no defense for what he is expected to play, well that lands us squarely at C meh.

What a dud of a draft. Using all 3 picks was not a wise use of assets impfho. Maybe nothing else presented itself but for my money we could have bundled the later 2 to get a pick in next year's draft if nothing else. When has any team drafted 2 or more player on the first round of the same draft that ended up A) staying with the team and B) actually contributed to real success? Just a bad move all around. Danny has been demoted from God straight past demigod to merely "Hero" with his draft. Yuck.

Love Tay but someone said earlier we got great size.

We did on Hendricks but we selected 2 dudes (like 2 of the only dudes) that didn’t measure at the combine.

George looks like barely 6’3” and Brice looks 6’4-5”. That’s not great size.

Tay is an athlete but the other 2 really aren’t.

Overall grade is a C+ but only because Hendricks is an A for me.

Overall B

At 9, I like Hendrix and his fit in the team, but I really think a trade with Detroit for Ausar was a better move. Even trading with Detroit or Orlando for Black. He was the best of the rest other than I still wonder about Cam.

At 16, George is good, but we needed to either move up a little for Wallace or Bufkin, or should have stayed at 16 and taken Cam.

At 28 we should have moved up one spot to get Nick Smith to play the point. Brice has a skill, but I sure hope someone can get him the ball and cover up his defensive flaws. if staying at 28, I would have taken Leonard Miller (despite overlap on the roster), GG, or Sidy.

Brice Sensabaugh has shown a few flashes of playmaking. He's got some hidden upside if he can unlock it. He's already got a solid body and three-level scoring. Would love to see if he can become a playmaking wing in the NBA.

Im happy we picked 3 kids as I hoped we would. Looks like a solid group of potential high upside 3 level scorers with no personality yellow flags.

I'm clueless if thats a fair assessment but will be happy to root for three kids with high upside.

Randomizing a grade....... B+

A - Hendricks is one of the best stat guys from the top 9. Best measurables, best shooting percentage, and many have said one of the better athletes. I felt like he was a can't miss... HIGH FLOOR guy.

Other guys have way more questions for me. Bilals stats are??? Black, Amen, and Ausar can't shoot. I was hoping for Wqlker but we didnt give up anything to get him so...

Lame that we had Hendricks as the 9th best prospect and he went 9th meaning we didn't get our guy.

George is a D for me. I listened to a podcast about how he struggled to get shots off against length. Guess what, everyone in the league has length. He was on my original worst case scenario list. I like hearing we had him at 10, but cam was the pick for me.

Sensebaugh is a C for me. I feel like we prioritized shooting percentage and he is there. But I liked Leonard Miller, Amari Bailey, or even trading out of the draft more.

Gotta like what Bill Simmons said though.

It was a pretty boring draft night for the Jazz and the league. I expected more trades all around. As far as our picks it is okay with where we were picking. Hendricks seems like he can contribute right away and help the team, which is good for Lauri's time frame. Some of the other guys that went ahead of him likely are not contributing for a couple years to winning. But I dont think he is an all-star level player but that could change. But a versatile good defender and shooter with length and athleticism is something this board has been dying for from the 4 position. He was the obvious pick at #9 with how things panned out. I am not that high on the next pick but I can see the upside and hype. I think JHS was the better pick for our team but it wasnt a reach or a bad pick. I dont know about the last one, I dont really care. Either take someone you think has upside or can contribute right away and has a solid NBA skill. I think he fits that if healthy. I am surprised we took all 3 1st though. We already have 2 guys getting big minutes that need a lot of development and adding 3 more is a lot for a team that is trying to win to take on. I think 1 or 2 of these guys wont get much attention or development if they dont show much soon.

Overall it was a B or so draft for me.