What's new

Grantland: Capturing the Noncontenders’ State of Mind - Utah Jazz

So Hood is the kind of guy I'd want Utah to be trading FOR or signing. So no trading him away.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

As long as one of those "assets" was not Hood of course. . .

Agree on that. Although I'm not ready to trade for a starting pg....yet. If I were in the FO I would look forward to Exum's development this offseason. Burke? If he doesn't show progress I'd be very active during the trade deadline to maybe package him with a pick for a solid veteran pg who could help mentor Exum and play 20-25 solid minutes of the bench or start for a stretch of games if need it.

I lashed out on those who wanted trade Hood LONG before it was cool to like him.

Where is Hantlers now to disagree with every positive post about Hood?

In a self-constructed prison, crushed by the literal truth of every sentiment in the Holy Bible (King James edition), wondering about the imperfections of family, feeling some Self swept up in an awful tide.

Let's take Hood out of the equation. Agree trading him is a non-starter.

Would you all do the first round pick and Burke for Lawson? I'm still not sure I would - I think Exum is poised for a big leap.

I lashed out on those who wanted trade Hood LONG before it was cool to like him.

Were where you when I was pimping Hood his Freshman year?

1 upped.

I think the Jazz will offer Burke in trades. There's just no reason not to.....other than the fact that it might not yield much.

Let's take Hood out of the equation. Agree trading him is a non-starter.

Would you all do the first round pick and Burke for Lawson? I'm still not sure I would - I think Exum is poised for a big leap.

Yeah, you do that trade. (checks contracts. . .) Holy Crap, Lawson is making 12.5 million next year and 13.2 the year after that! I'm gonna have to think about that. . .

No way Hood should be traded. Have you seen how calm and collected he is on the court? This kid is a rookie, on a team full of rookies and young starters with a rookie head coach, and he looks like he has been in the league for at least 3 years. Dude is smart. He doesnt look like he's super athletic but he sure seems to be able to move fairly well. Steal of the draft. Not to mention his good contract as a rookie.

To add to the Hood trade - DL had publicly said that Hood will be with the Jazz for a long time to come.

Take from that what you will.

I think a lot of people are higher on Hood than he deserves. And a lot of people are dismissive of him.

He's going to be a very good player in this league. Already has a lot of skills. He may be an All-star - probably not an every year All-Star like Malone/Stockton, but might get in there once like Hornacek.

Here's the question, though: Who WOULD you trade him for? Realistically, who is still on their rookie contract (or, I guess, on a veteran's minimum) who you would trade him for?

I think a lot of people are higher on Hood than he deserves. And a lot of people are dismissive of him.

He's going to be a very good player in this league. Already has a lot of skills. He may be an All-star - probably not an every year All-Star like Malone/Stockton, but might get in there once like Hornacek.

Here's the question, though: Who WOULD you trade him for? Realistically, who is still on their rookie contract (or, I guess, on a veteran's minimum) who you would trade him for?

Realistically? Nobody. He's currently very undervalued since nobody has seen much of him at all. He can be used as a sweetener in a deal or something. But I highly doubt we can realistically get anyone of equal value, specially given his youth and potential for development.

To echo the Hood comments, his stock couldn't be higher right now and that means he is in no way a throw in to any deal.

He's one of our VERY few players that can create his own shot and take the focus off Hayward. And that's not just from distance as he has a very advanced mid-range game for his experience level. He's also a committed defender.

You dont "toss" those guys into deal, especially on rookie deals going into this new era of mega cap.

Hood and Hayward could both average 20 pts/per. And Hood is the best 3PT shooter the Jazz have; he should be >40% each year. Yes, Lindsey could consider trading him to get a top-quality starter. But that's a big "IF." He's definitely not just a "throw-in" to make a deal happen. He's a very good piece. But I disagree with you a bit, Bodhi. I think his stock is nowhere close to where it could/should be. And I think his trade value will really increase next season as he gets 25 mins+ as part of the wing rotation. Would I trade Hood and the #10 to move up into the top-3? Certainly. And I'd draft Russell. Would I trade him and our pick to jump up to #6/#7 and get Winslow, Johnson or Hezonja (or someone similar?). No. Hood is legit lottery talent. And the player we get at #10-#12 isn't going to have enough separation from the player we'd get a few picks higher.

In sum, a top-10 PG or wing? Hood is on the market with other assets. Anything else? Nope.

If we are getting Lawson that would mean most likely letting Booker go.

We have ~8.29mln in non-guaranteed contracts we can trade.

Trevor Booker $4,775,000
Bryce Cotton $845,059
Jack Cooley $845,059
Elijah Millsap $845,059
Chris Johnson $981,348

Here's our other players under contract:
Gordon Hayward $15,409,570.00
Derrick Favors $11,933,333.00
Dante Exum $3,777,720.00
Alec Burks $9,213,484.00
Trey Burke $2,658,240.00
Rodney Hood $1,348,440.00
Rudy Gobert $1,175,880.00
Grant Jerrett $947,276.00

If we want to get Lawson's $12,404,495 contract, we need to send back at least 8.27mln to Denver. That's the exact # we have in non-guaranteed contracts. If we want to keep Millsap, put Jerret instead of him in the trade. If we want to keep Booker(and not Millsap), we need to include other players. The obvious candidates being Trey and Jerrett, but that won't be enough - we need about 1.1mln more to reach the limit. Hood? I'd really hate the FO if they decided to trade Roscoe in such a trade.

If we want to keep both Millsap and Booker, that would mean trading some of the massive contracts(Burks?).

In general, the most likely victim of such trade would have to be Booker. If I had to guess it would be something like Booker+Burke+Cotton+Cooley+Johnson+Jerrett+Utah's 2015 1st round pick for Lawson.

Do you really see Utah bringing in a starting PG? With how well Dante has played defense and upped his assists the last couple weeks?

I just don't see a PG good enough to justify benching Exum. And I'm not sure a realistic PG option out there would be much of an upgrade of Burke.

I haven't seen a player pass the eye test like Hood in a long time. Injuries are my only concern about him.

I would trade Hood (& anyone else aside from maybe Gobert) in the right deal, but this hypothetical trade is definitely not it. I can understand why somebody who doesn't watch this team regularly would assume Hood is just a throw-in due to his injuries & the fact that he was a late 1st rd draft pick, but anyone who has seen him recently knows he has a lot more value than that (especially to this team). Hood appears to have quickly played his way into our group of core players, but that doesn't make him untouchable (something few players, if any, should be considered). That being said, I would only include him in a trade that brought back a potential #1 scoring option, who could play & develop alongside the rest of our core players.

Imo, what we do with Hood (& anyone outside of GH, DF, & RG), should depend on what our plan is moving forward with Exum. We shouldn't make a major trade for an established starter unless we intend on attempting to legitimately compete next year, which would be unrealistic with Exum as our starting PG. Unless we are going to trade him or move him back to the bench (something that could really hurt his development & confidence), I don't see how trading young assets for a more established player makes sense. If we still consider Exum our PG of the future, we should stay the course by drafting the best SG/SF prospect that we can (using Burke/Burks & future draft picks if necessary), bringing over Tomic/Pleiss, & signing a solid backup PG to mentor him. If we don't, then we should go all in by trading him (& anyone necessary, outside of GH,DF, & RG) in order to assemble the best starting 5 possible to go along with a decent bench.