What's new

Greg Monroe

I would love to have Monroe on the Jazz. My dream would be to trade Kanter, keep Favors and sign Monroe. All of this talk about trading for the number one pick makes me hope that the actual deal that goes through for the Jazz is something different than is being reported. I am sure Lindsay has something awesome planned, so I can not wait for about 53 hours from now, when this board will be going crazy.

What is his range on his jumper?

One of his "contract year" stats i guess was his mid-range game, that showed some improvement in conversion rate this year.

He shot 41% from 10-16 feet which is better than Enes 39% and LMA 39%, Bosh shot it at a 48% clip from that range.

He does not shoot it from that range frequently though, 22% of LMA's, 17% of Kanters, only 10% of Bosh's and 6% of Monroes attempts came from that range.

His Range does not extend beyond that distance, hes very effective from 0-3 feet though, 64% like Kanter, Much better than LMA and Bosh.

Also, everything I have seen about Greg Monroe is that Detroit is planning on letting him go or getting rid of him in a sign and trade. They have wisely chosen to invest in Drummond over Monroe considering that they are tied to Josh Smith for a few years.

Being in love with a player is when we will have to "pry him away from Detroit," yes.

I'm simply baffled by people's infatuation here with the kid. I'm dead serious. You guys aren't scared off by his awful defense after having to endure Boozer, Kanter, and Memo for years?

I'm genuinely asking. I feel like some of you (because this is what my attraction would be) want him because of his passing game, with the hope that we could recreate what the Spurs have done and I get that. It's appealing to me too. As is his pairing with Favors. But at 12-15M, ugh, I just couldn't stomach that. What am I missing that we should offer a guy, say, 13M who plays awful interior defense?

Anytime another team owns restricted free agency rights to a player and you want that player, you have to "pry them away". That is, unless they just don't offer the Qualifying Offer (which again, almost never happens to well-regarded or even just 'above average' players).

I'm not convinced that Monroe is as bad as you say defensively, and most of the NBA are mostly one-way players.

I don't love Monroe, but having a player in the post that can score AND pass is a pretty big deal. The last time the Jazz had that, they were a lock to go to the playoffs and usually won a series (which is not singularly THE reason, but it is a big one). Where I think they went wrong is the general laziness of the front office, overpaying for a high-level role player, and Memo (basically). Boozer on that Jazz team was a player good enough on offense that it was worth looking for a defensive C to help protect the paint, not doubling down on Memo who completely exacerbated the problem.

I also am skeptical that Kanter is in the team's future plans. If it's Monroe and Kanter, yeah, no thanks.

Ultimately, what I and most posters are getting at is not being defensive about Monroe, rather we're being defensive about your aggressively holding an overly simplistic view on the matter.

Why not just offer #35 to HOU for Asik? They need him and Lin off their books if they want to go after LeBron/Melo/Love. I do something like this if we trade Favors for #1.

Monroe sucks on D.

298x298px-LL-fe6c2b4a_v1B0I3E.gif

I cannot think of a better outcome than trading the #5 & Favors for Wiggins and signing Monroe.

In the Favors gone hypothetical, how much do you offer Monroe?

At first I was like isn't he the historically bad FT shooter?

And then I remembered it was his buddy, Andre Drummond.

Sure. Lets grab us some Monroe

Why not just offer #35 to HOU for Asik? They need him and Lin off their books if they want to go after LeBron/Melo/Love. I do something like this if we trade Favors for #1.

That isn't bad at all. I'm just not sure Houston would do it. I guess it depends how badly they want to shed salary.

That is a possibility. Houston says they have deals lined up to clear space if they need to.