What's new

Haberstroh: 82 Games Season Dead

I'm the opposite on this. I only get to watch about 20 games live a season. I would prefer that those games were more meaningful.
I watch all 82 regular season games. All televised preseason games. Summer league games. Playoff games. I go to the summer scrimmage. I attend the draft.
I hate the off season and hate long gaps between games. I'm an addict and need my fix.

Erase the conference system and make each team face 2 times on regularity. 58 games should be enough. Commercial industry hates this thread.

** BREAKING NEWS **

Adam Silver: "It's not clear at all that by shortening the season we will see a reduction in injuries".

Adam Silver: "As a league we can look into reducing games, but the data is not supporting that".

Adam Silver: "There is a certain amount of pseudo science out there".

Source: Press conference after owners meeting

** BREAKING NEWS **

Source: Press conference after owners meeting
If silver really thinks that he is dumb. Every sport shows less time played decreases injuries. Every second in the court increases your chances of being injured over not playing. Flukes happen but overall you increase your risk by playing.

If silver really thinks that he is dumb. Every sport shows less time played decreases injuries. Every second in the court increases your chances of being injured over not playing. Flukes happen but overall you increase your risk by playing.

I guess like everything there's the cost/benefit analysis to consider also. The benefit of having less game, sure, there may be less injuries, but you've got to offset that with the financial cost of running a business.

At the other extreme: No games = No injuries = No money.

I guess like everything there's the cost/benefit analysis to consider also. The benefit of having less game, sure, there may be less injuries, but you've got to offset that with the financial cost of running a business.

At the other extreme: No games = No injuries = No money.
Sure but that isn't what he is saying.

I don't think he is telling us EVERYTHING that goes on in that meeting, do you?

You've got to read between the lines somewhat.
I don't think he is telling us everything. But there is nothing to read between with those comments. If you are reading something between the lines you are guessing/making it up. He made a statement that makes him sound like he is lying or ignorant.

I don't think he is telling us everything. But there is nothing to read between with those comments. If you are reading something between the lines you are guessing/making it up. He made a statement that makes him sound like he is lying or ignorant.

To be fair he did not say the evidence is definitive either way, he's just saying the data is not supportive of that RIGHT NOW. We don't know what data he has so I don't think you can say that he's lying or ignorant. Actually by saying that it makes you sound kinda ignorant.

To be fair he did not say the evidence is definitive either way, he's just saying the data is not supportive of that RIGHT NOW. We don't know what data he has so I don't think you can say that he's lying or ignorant. Actually by saying that it makes you sound kinda ignorant.
There is lots of evidence that all points to playing more leads to more injuries. There is decades of data on this that backs it up along with just simple common sense.

There is lots of evidence that all points to playing more leads to more injuries. There is decades of data on this that backs it up along with just simple common sense.

He said that's what he thought as well before doing a lot of research on it over the past month, and after having done that research he said the data is less clear cut.

He said that's what he thought as well before doing a lot of research on it over the past month, and after having done that research he said the data is less clear cut.
Then he is lying or ignorant. The data is there and has been for a long time. It is very conclusive and again is just common sense. You increase your odds of injury by putting yourself in harm's way more often. My guess is for PR reasons and money reasons he is trying to spin this in their favor. But that is just my guess.

Then he is lying or ignorant. The data is there and has been for a long time. It is very conclusive and again is just common sense. You increase your odds of injury by putting yourself in harm's way more often. My guess is for PR reasons and money reasons he is trying to spin this in their favor. But that is just my guess.

Common sense can be false.

I remember before I began running a couple of years ago I read research about runners and knee injuries. And it turns out that you're more likely to get injuries if you run less than 4 times a week OR run more than 4 times a week, the sweet spot is to run about 4 times a week (approximate number as I don't remember what study it was). The reason being that if you run about 4 times a week the body creates various protective tissues around the knee that helps protects it. (or something like that I don't remember what study it was). If you run less than that the body doesn't create enough, and if you run more the body is prone to fatigue, etc.

But anyway, that really surprised me and it made me realize that common sense isn't always right. You have to look at the study and see it for yourself. And since we don't have the data/studies that he's looking at it's unfair to say that he's ignorant IMO.

Common sense can be false.

I remember before I began running a couple of years ago I read research about runners and knee injuries. And it turns out that you're more likely to get injuries if you run less than 4 times a week OR run more than 4 times a week, the sweet spot is to run about 4 times a week (approximate number as I don't remember what study it was). The reason being that if you run about 4 times a week the body creates various protective tissues around the knee that helps protects it. (or something like that I don't remember what study it was). If you run less than that the body doesn't create enough, and if you run more the body is prone to fatigue, etc.

But anyway, that really surprised me and it made me realize that common sense isn't always right. You have to look at the study and see it for yourself. And since we don't have the data/studies that he's looking at it's unfair to say that he's ignorant IMO.
Well when common sense, hundreds of studies or more and experts all come in agreement it's add solid as you get. That is what we have in this situation. It's not just one on its own.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JazzFanz mobile app

Well when common sense, hundreds of studies or more and experts all come in agreement it's add solid as you get. That is what we have in this situation. It's not just one on its own.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JazzFanz mobile app

Where are these hundreds of studies? Maybe you should email them to Adam Silver as he isn't as convinced as you seem to be.

Where are these hundreds of studies? Maybe you should email them to Adam Silver as he isn't as convinced as you seem to be.
Take ten seconds and dig through any study on it. And yes I feel pretty good on this one since it is tied to my work in sports performance revolves around injury prevention. But if you feel otherwise about this then do some objective research and let me know what you find.

Take ten seconds and dig through any study on it. And yes I feel pretty good on this one since it is tied to my work in sports performance revolves around injury prevention. But if you feel otherwise about this then do some objective research and let me know what you find.

Well are these studies specific to the NBA or are they for other sports and other leagues? Maybe Silver is just trying to drill down to NBA specific reports as it pertains to the 82 game season before making what could potentially be a huge decision to reduce games.

Well are these studies specific to the NBA or are they for other sports and other leagues? Maybe Silver is just trying to drill down to NBA specific reports as it pertains to the 82 game season before making what could potentially be a huge decision to reduce games.
D. all of the above.