What's new

Hamilton Waived

Beings that we were given a draft pick just to take Novak I doubt he has much value until next year when he is an expiring contract.

Beings that we were given a draft pick just to take Novak I doubt he has much value until next year when he is an expiring contract.
In that case, Toronto wanted to clear cap space, so we gave them expirings. We'll see; I think he has value off the bench for a competitor.

He has Visa issues... That's why the Pacers didn't sign him

The Gov Srsly makes this too much of a pain in the ***. My buddy was telling me about the visa issues he is having with his wife and it just sounded so ridiculous.(and expensive)

Sounds like a draft pick from a contender at the deadline.

I doubt we see Mekel in a Jazz uni because of Visa problems. Indiana wanted to sign him but the US Cancelled his Visa after Dallas waived him even though he has a two year fully guaranteed deal with the Mavs. Unless the Jazz can get Senator Hatch to pull some strings, it sounds like he is headed back to Israel.

Guys who can shoot 3's are always in demand. He doesn't necessarily have value to a team looking to develop their youngsters, but he could be a solid contributor to a contender. Jazz could easily give him Hood's minutes (or Ingles) if Quin wanted to. But Snyder is smart, he knows Hood is the future and Ingles could be on the roster for quite some time. A second rounder for Novak isn't out of the question, especially at the deadline when teams will have some holes due to injuries.

Hood and Ingles are playing because they are better, younger, and can somewhat play defense.

You keep on forgetting that defense matters in the playoffs, and Novak can't play defense.

Hood and Ingles are playing because they are better, younger, and can somewhat play defense.

You keep on forgetting that defense matters in the playoffs, and Novak can't play defense.

Not forgetting at all, but teams sometimes need instant offense and a way to catch up fast when behind - or faced with a situation like the Jazz last night needing an outside basket to win or force O/T. When the choice for your 12th man comes down to a player like Murry or someone who could actually be an effective situational player, there can still be a niche for a shooter like Novak.

He will not be missed

I doubt we see Mekel in a Jazz uni because of Visa problems. Indiana wanted to sign him but the US Cancelled his Visa after Dallas waived him even though he has a two year fully guaranteed deal with the Mavs. Unless the Jazz can get Senator Hatch to pull some strings, it sounds like he is headed back to Israel.

From what I've read, this is not really it. Indy has a hardship exception to sign a 16th player, but that has to happen within a certain time period. Mekel's visa shouldn't be an issue, but it does have to go through government bureacracies, which takes a few days. Plus Indy desperately needs a backup PG NOW. The open window for Indy just didn't match the period needed for Mekel and a new team to work out the visa. It shouldn't be a problem for a team that has roster space, though. I've seen OKC rumors, but not much else from other teams.

Why did the Jazz even pick him up? Seems silly to me. I think that PG that Dallas waived might be a possible addition.

Why did the Jazz even pick him up? Seems silly to me. I think that PG that Dallas waived might be a possible addition.
Why not? Granted he hasn't played a ton of minutes, but his career 3PT % was 36%. Certainly worth a look. Jazz felt they needed a better player than what they had, auditioned two and kept one (Ingles).

Why not? Granted he hasn't played a ton of minutes, but his career 3PT % was 36%. Certainly worth a look. Jazz felt they needed a better player than what they had, auditioned two and kept one (Ingles).

But they were having to pay him for the games he sat. I know it's not a lot of $$$ but I doubt Larry Miller would have allowed that.

But they were having to pay him for the games he sat. I know it's not a lot of $$$ but I doubt Larry Miller would have allowed that.

By my calculations $25K or so (if a minimum contract is pro-rated by number of games the team has played). IINM, Jazz are at about $57M in salaries, which puts them in the bottom third of the league. They certainly have the money to bring in players off waivers or on 10-day contracts for a test drive. Besides, waivers are tricky; unless you are the worst team in the league, you're not sure you'll be granted the rights to a player. Maybe the jazz really just wanted Ingles, but weren't positive he'd make it down to them. Or maybe they did want Hamilton, had planned on assigning to him to the D-League but he and his agent didn't think it was a good fit.