What's new

Hardy Says Keyonte Has a Chance to be a Star

He’s a total bucket and he drips swag. Gem of a draft pick.

His rookie year didn’t set the world on fire like Donovan’s (mainly because we decided to suck) but he has a chance to be a similar caliber player.

How many guys can score the way he can in any given draft? I say 1-2.

He'll be more effective with better players around him. He's doing this right now with almost no help from his bigs and while playing with rookies who don't entirely know what they're doing.

He'll be more effective with better players around him. He's doing this right now with almost no help from his bigs and while playing with rookies who don't entirely know what they're doing.

Yep.

He’s a 25+ ppg guy in his prime, easily. IMO the verdict is in on Keyonte. Clear keeper and franchise cornerstone.

Key kinda reminds me of Dwill. More athletic than originally thought, good passer, and is turning into a good shooter. Hope he builds confidence and continues to develop his skills.

The Jazz have really rolled out the red carpet for Keyonte. They gave him the starting job early, they gave it back to him "because it was time", and now they have moved Sexton back to the bench. They have a ton of belief in him.

The Jazz have really rolled out the red carpet for Keyonte. They gave him the starting job early, they gave it back to him "because it was time", and now they have moved Sexton back to the bench. They have a ton of belief in him.
And I am not anti-keyonte at all... but it may not be the smartest thing ever. We are weird with the messaging we have and I don't quite get it. "Ochai has to be a starter" and "They see Collin as a sixth man" "Playing time is earned" but then its given to certain dudes (not even saying its key... JC has been given more minutes than other deserving players).

I am fine with believing in dudes... I just think its weird that Collin seems to earn it in almost every way possible and then he is demoted.

I know you see it similarly to how I do with Collin and Key. Like it isn't ideal but it is fine for now. Just think we continue to overlook Sexton a bit here. Belief is good... but there is a wise poster here that says "if you try hard enough you can make yourself believe anything". Paging @infection

And I am not anti-keyonte at all... but it may not be the smartest thing ever. We are weird with the messaging we have and I don't quite get it. "Ochai has to be a starter" and "They see Collin as a sixth man" "Playing time is earned" but then its given to certain dudes (not even saying its key... JC has been given more minutes than other deserving players).

I am fine with believing in dudes... I just think its weird that Collin seems to earn it in almost every way possible and then he is demoted.

I know you see it similarly to how I do with Collin and Key. Like it isn't ideal but it is fine for now. Just think we continue to overlook Sexton a bit here. Belief is good... but there is a wise poster here that says "if you try hard enough you can make yourself believe anything". Paging @infection

Tbh, this is fine until Sexton wants to be a starter/demands starter money. But he's done everything to deserve that. Sexton has always been a good soldier, but they demote the **** out of him no matter how well he plays. It wasn't even just with Keyonte either. They had THT ahead of him.

I do also with they extended some love to TH, Kessler etc. Like Kessler has much more of a claim to overtake Collins imo. TH was probably never that bad to begin with, but they acted like he was the worst player on the planet. Like you said, I don't have a problem with them believing in Keyonte. But I can't say the way they've managed everything else instills the greatest deal of confidence in their evaluation.

Tbh, this is fine until Sexton wants to be a starter/demands starter money. But he's done everything to deserve that. Sexton has always been a good soldier, but they demote the **** out of him no matter how well he plays. It wasn't even just with Keyonte either. They had THT ahead of him.

I do also with they extended some love to TH, Kessler etc. Like Kessler has much more of a claim to overtake Collins imo. TH was probably never that bad to begin with, but they acted like he was the worst player on the planet. Like you said, I don't have a problem with them believing in Keyonte. But I can't say the way they've managed everything else instills the greatest deal of confidence in their evaluation.
Its just so weirdly inconsistent. I'm fine with them playing Collin off the bench if he gets his minutes but I'm not cool with it if he isn't. He is our second best player and has the best attitude and work ethic... and has matched it with his performance. I just think Key better be effing awesome or we will regret not leaning into what Collin is and can do.

Its just so weirdly inconsistent. I'm fine with them playing Collin off the bench if he gets his minutes but I'm not cool with it if he isn't. He is our second best player and has the best attitude and work ethic... and has matched it with his performance. I just think Key better be effing awesome or we will regret not leaning into what Collin is and can do.

I feel like one of people who is getting the short end of the stick in this all is Lauri. It obviously sucks for Sexton that he keeps getting demoted, but it also hurts our chances at winning and that is of Lauri's interest. He's in the prime of his career, but we just make it harder for him to compete over an over. According to what Andy said, we basically lied to him about doing this as well.

The thing is, I don't think even think all of these priorities have to be so mutually exclusive. We can start Key and Sexton. We can keep guys like Simone and try to compete. We can believe in Keyonte and not keeping dumping our season half way through. It's almost as if our FO operates as if Lauri/Sexton don't exist.

I feel like one of people who is getting the short end of the stick in this all is Lauri. It obviously sucks for Sexton that he keeps getting demoted, but it also hurts our chances at winning and that is of Lauri's interest. He's in the prime of his career, but we just make it harder for him to compete over an over. According to what Andy said, we basically lied to him about doing this as well.

The thing is, I don't think even think all of these priorities have to be so mutually exclusive. We can start Key and Sexton. We can keep guys like Simone and try to compete. We can believe in Keyonte and not keeping dumping our season half way through. It's almost as if our FO operates as if Lauri/Sexton don't exist.
They are keeping their options wide open... which leads me to ponder if they will consider going full tank mode if they got a huge offer for Lauri. I like 90% believe they want to be "good sooner than later" but I also think I don't trust much of the message that comes out of the FO with that stuff.

I am not even saying that is the wrong move per se... I just think they are really trying to keep all options open.

Sexton getting benched for the Edwards matchup is as clear an admission as it gets that they dont view Sexton as the long-term two guard.

Y'all can stick your head in the sand as much as you want, but it's clear as day. If Keyonte is here and the Jazz believe in Keyonte as a main piece, that means Sexton is likely gone sooner rather than later.

Sexton getting benched for the Edwards matchup is as clear an admission as it gets that they dont view Sexton as the long-term two guard.

Y'all can stick your head in the sand as much as you want, but it's clear as day. If Keyonte is here and the Jazz believe in Keyonte as a main piece, that means Sexton is likely gone sooner rather than later.
I think the argument was we don’t have to rush to trade Sexton especially if the value isn’t there and asked what type of deal people think is on the table for him. Then it was crickets after that.

I think the argument was we don’t have to rush to trade Sexton especially if the value isn’t there and asked what type of deal people think is on the table for him. Then it was crickets after that.
The value isnt going to get better after this off-season unless a series of events happens that makes an individual team really want him. Me being able to cook up fake trades to your liking doesnt change the clear signals the coaching staff is sending.

The value isnt going to get better after this off-season unless a series of events happens that makes an individual team really want him. Me being able to cook up fake trades to your liking doesnt change the clear signals the coaching staff is sending.
My questioning is less about the signs they are sending and more about is this the correct approach? Last year we were told Ochai was a starter next year… I just don’t like how there seems to be some predetermination and we seemingly ignore some of what is happening in the floor.

Yep - the writing is on the wall about three things:

1) We don't care about winning now (and would rather not win now)
2) Sexton is not a long-term piece (makes me sad, but I get it - huge fan of his)
3) Keyonte has been given the keys

IMO, long-term, it's Keyonte and Lauri. Everyone else? Don't get too attached.

My questioning is less about the signs they are sending and more about is this the correct approach? Last year we were told Ochai was a starter next year… I just don’t like how there seems to be some predetermination and we seemingly ignore some of what is happening in the floor.
I think they are just publicly talking their guys up. Like JZ saying Sexton is a top 50 guy.'

But yeah, if we trade Sexton we are going to have dudes following his career and comparing him to Keyonte for a while.

I think they are just publicly talking their guys up. Like JZ saying Sexton is a top 50 guy.'

But yeah, if we trade Sexton we are going to have dudes following his career and comparing him to Keyonte for a while.
What if its the opposite. Build up the hype for Key and trade him? Cuz they already know what they have in Sexton?

I also think they'd continue starting Sexton if they were building him up for a trade.