What's new

Hayward has 34.5 inch vertical!

BPP

Just thought it was interesting that little Gordy Hayward has a little more jumping ability and athleticism than many of us give/gave him credit for (including myself).

His Max Vertical jump is 34.5 inches! To put that in perspective, Derreck Favors was 35.5, Udoh 33.5, and many other "super" athletes in the 2010 Draft are at, or worse than, 34.5. Favors was supposedly the best leaper in the Draft. Wall obviously proved that wrong with a 39 inch vertical (insane). But 34.5 is top 10-12 best in the Draft. And it wasn't just Hayward's vertical that impressed. His other jumping and agility measurements were strong too.

The kid's a player, and actually has the tools to be special in the NBA. He has a good frame to grow into, but he can play now. He's not even as skinny as AK and CJ were when they first joined the team.

So again, let's give the kid a chance. I've had a little change of heart. I hope he becomes that glue player that he has the potential to be.

Just thought it was interesting that little Gordy Hayward has a little more jumping ability and athleticism than many of us give/gave him credit for (including myself).

His Max Vertical jump is 34.5 inches! To put that in perspective, Derreck Favors was 35.5, Udoh 33.5, and many other "super" athletes in the 2010 Draft are at, or worse than, 34.5. Favors was supposedly the best leaper in the Draft. Wall obviously proved that wrong with a 39 inch vertical (insane). But 34.5 is top 10-12 best in the Draft. And it wasn't just Hayward's vertical that impressed. His other jumping and agility measurements were strong too.

The kid's a player, and actually has the tools to be special in the NBA. He has a good frame to grow into, but he can play now. He's not even as skinny as AK and CJ were when they first joined the team.

So again, let's give the kid a chance. I've had a little change of heart. I hope he becomes that glue player that he has the potential to be.

Not to pull your card or anything, but.......yeah, this has been known for awhile now. I don't think you're digging up some gem, hidden to the rest of us and now brought to the light of day. I looked at the date of the post expecting it to be from a month ago. How bout ole' Abe Lincoln being shot though, eh?!?!

Not to pull your card or anything, but.......yeah, this has been known for awhile now. I don't think you're digging up some gem, hidden to the rest of us and now brought to the light of day. I looked at the date of the post expecting it to be from a month ago. How bout ole' Abe Lincoln being shot though, eh?!?!

Shhhhhh Of course he is...... shhhhhh

His vert is pretty good, but you can't compare it to taller players or anyone who plays the 4 or the 5 cause they tend to not jump as high.

As has been talked about many times before, there's a lot more to being athletic than just a vertical. You focused too much on his jumping ability.

His wingspan, height, and body fat percentage is nothing to get excited over. IN fact, it's worse than Babbitt's, Henry's, and Patterson's.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2010-nba-draft-combine-official-measurements

Along with handsize:

https://www.nba.com/2010/news/05/25/combine.measurements/index.html

And as far as agility drills? They actually weren't very strong at all. He actually disappointed in the agility drills. Dunno why you would say that he was "strong" in them. Look at the lane agility drill. He was smoked by Babbit and Henry. And was worse than bigs Cousins, Aldrich, and Patterson. In fact, his lane agility test was comparable to none other than Hassan Whiteside. That's good? Your SF's lane agility is comparable to a big lumbering and clumsy 7 foot 1 center? Remember, you were the one that suggested his agility measurements were strong. So what do you think now?

It's almost as if you have the opinion that Hayward is something and instead of relying on evidence to form your opinion you want your opinion to form evidence. This hurts your credibility severely IMO.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-athleticism-test-results

Hayward has a lot to prove. This is my point. We cannot just base everything off a vertical leap. To call him a very good athlete by NBA standards is pretty laughable. Heck, just compare those from his draft class. He most certainly doesn't stand out.

One of his greatest assets is his "craftiness" which oftentimes doesn't translate to success in the league of the best athletes in the world.

Fans' concerns over Hayward's size, strength, athletic gifts, and his poor shooting are warranted and legit. If you do not want fans to criticize the pick and call him a bust, then you must also recognize the serious concerns that these critics have.

Hayward has a lot to prove when you look at the evidence presented above, his shooting statistics, his overall game, and the competition he faced for the majority of his college career. I wish him the best. But He has a long way to go and I truly believe that we shouldn't just disregard those critics as hateful or ignorant or racist as some of you have done. Open your eyes, there are some serious deficits in Hayward's game.

Last edited:
Babbitt has a 37" vertical and a 6' 11.25" wingspan.

Haywards's wingspan is also an awful 6' 7.75". By comparison, Aminu has a similar vert, but an 8 inches higher wingspan.

Paul George's winspan- 6' 11'.25". Not sure about his vert but I'm pretty confident in assuming it's higher than Hayward's.

Udoh has a 33.5" vertical and a 7' 4.5'' wingspan

The SG we passed up that we shouldn't have, Xavier Henry, has a wingspan 4 inches greater than Haywards' and a vertical 2 inches greater.

Ed Davis, whom we passed on, has a wingspan 5 inches greater than Hayward and a vertical 2 inches greater.

This thread= Fail. OP should've checked Haywards comparable peer's wingspans and verticals before posting a thread proving how awful Hayward stacks up against other NBA caliber players.

Also, here's a list of players who scored better than Hayward on the lane agility test:

Babbitt
Udoh
Bradley
Henry
Aminu
Davis
Aldrich!!!
James
Turner
Johnson
Cousins (That's right, a 270 pound center with a questionable work ethic moves better through the lane than Gordon Hayward)
Patterson

The only guys Hawyard beat out on the agility test were Larry Sanders from VCU and James Anderson from OSU. George's stats are N/A. Was he injured or something?

Also, here's a list of players who scored better than Hayward on the lane agility test:

Babbitt
Udoh
Bradley
Henry
Aminu
Davis
Aldrich!!!
James
Turner
Johnson
Cousins (That's right, a 270 pound center with a questionable work ethic moves better through the lane than Gordon Hayward)
Patterson

The only guys Hawyard beat out on the agility test were Larry Sanders from VCU and James Anderson from OSU. George's stats are N/A. Was he injured or something?

That should just tell you how great of an athlete Cousins is that he can be so overweight and still put up strong athletic number for a center.