What's new

HC candidates

I really don’t understand what was strange about it. I’m the last guy to play the race card but I think it’s absolutely imperative to hire a great black head coach for the reasons I gave. Unless we wanna see Don walk or continue to be a shell of what he could be…

Don's walking regardless of who we hire as head coach. We could let him handpick the entire coaching staff and he would still bolt as soon as his contract is up.

It’s going to be Johnnie Bryant.
I’d be stunned if it isn’t. Even if you take out the Don factor, there’s some pretty good reasons to think he’ll end up being the guy.

He played at Utah, so he knows how things work around here. Before coaching with the Jazz, he also set up shop in SLC and held developmental camps for European players and fringe NBA’ers. Then he got hired by the Jazz and proceeded to show that his developmental skills are second to none. Throw the Mitchell relationship in and it’s hard not to think he probably has this job in the bag, and looking at his resume you could make the argument that he probably should.

I'd like to see us hire either Bryant (because I think he's an actual good candidate) or Griffin and see if you can nab Vogel as an assistant to handle the defense. Its a tough ask, but maybe he's cool wit it.
Vogel has a reputation as a defensive coach. I know the Indiana teams were always on the high end for defense, but were there other reasons he has this reputation? Asking because I don’t know.

I'd like to see us hire either Bryant (because I think he's an actual good candidate) or Griffin and see if you can nab Vogel as an assistant to handle the defense. Its a tough ask, but maybe he's cool wit it.
A theory I heard and I'm not sure how I feel about is that it's better for the Jazz that Mitchell is trying to exert his power on the coaching search, because even if slightly it ties him to that decision and by extension to the Jazz and the fact that he wants to have a say means he actually cares about what will be happening with the team in the short-to-intermediate term. If he didn't care and just told the FO - get whoever you want. it makes it less reputationally damaging for him to ask for a trade next year.

But at the same time I still feel disgusted by that Woj leak, mere minutes after the news of Quins departure and the framing in this leak still looks to me more along the lines of him trying to set up a trade request in case his guy is not chosen than him actually caring about who his next coach will be.

Last edited:
Vogel has a reputation as a defensive coach. I know the Indiana teams were always on the high end for defense, but were there other reasons he has this reputation? Asking because I don’t know.
Lakers were a good defense too when they won the title . I think that’s really it.

A theory I heard and I'm not sure how I feel about is that it's better for the Jazz that Mitchell is trying to exert his power on the coaching search, because even if slightly it ties him to that decision and by extension to the Jazz and the fact that he wants to have a say means he actually cares about what will be happening with the team in the short-to-intermediate term. If he didn't care and just told the FO - get whoever you want. it makes it less repitationally damaging for him to ask for a trade next year.

But at the same time I still feel disgusted by that Woj leak, mere minutes after the news of Quins departure and the framing in this leak still looks to me more along the lines of him trying to set up a trade request in case his guy is not chosen than him actually caring about who his next coach will be.
I agree with the general sentiment but it also might be CAA doing Bryant a solid. He gets a raise regardless now. Say we offer him 3-4 M to come on board… NY can match it or exceed it and make us look cheap. Might buy us one more year if we get Bryant. But we also might get trapped and get less for Donovan going one extra year.

It’s just such a **** show… we out here hoping we can trade Rudy for guys Donovan likes and hoping Donovan becomes AS game MVP and hoping he sticks around. We aren’t hoping he gets better and can win us a title… it’s just all so Kingsy.

It’s just such a **** show… we out here hoping we can trade Rudy for guys Donovan likes and hoping Donovan becomes AS game mayor and hoping he sticks around. We aren’t hoping he gets better and can win us a title… it’s just all so Kingsy.
FIFY.

Its just hilarious... Like Cleveland is still buzzing about having Garland and Allen in the AS game when they hosted. Charlotte is so thankful they had Kemba when they hosted... its been such a huge boost to their team building.

It shouldn't even be a factor and I swear its driving our decisions... it comes up with every person that covers the team... its absolutely true and its the dumbest **** since drafting Udoka and signing Favs.