What's new

Hey Everyone... Lets Chill on Writing Hendricks Off... TIA

He has shown he can shoot and rebound and is kind of athletic freak. That is a difficult package to round up into a neat package when someone is 19. Aren't the Thompson twins 2 years older than that? I think he is still a mystery box and will be for a couple of years.

I don't really care about Luka. I'm OK if he goes away. All he can do is score in streaks. We literally have a six pack of guys like that.

I don't really care about Luka. I'm OK if he goes away. All he can do is score in streaks. We literally have a six pack of guys like that.
I wouldn't be all that sad if they did not pick up Luka's, Yurtseven's and finally Dunn's guarantee. I know Dunn's will be controversial but is he a future building block piece? He has done everything right and what was asked of him but hey this is a tough crowd and business. We need to save Ryan some cash.

I think this is a pretty interesting thread so far.

The premise is don't overreact to two preseason games where the guy barely played. But I feel like what is actually happening in the thread is Hendricks 'defenders' are coming in here to temper expectations, which could really only be based on said preseason games, right? So like the opposite thing of the threads premise.

These posts from the defenders about playing the long game, and where he sits in the pecking order, etc. If those posts were made on draft night it would be considered an extremely 'hater' point of view and someone who did not like the pick to be so down on him and talking about Hendricks needing to beat out Luka Samanic.

So, one way or another, since draft day the expectations, reasonable opinions, analysis, etc. on Hendricks has obviously shifted around here, perhaps in a pretty major way. Yet we literally only have the two preseason games of sample size that we are not supposed to be overreacting about...
I think Hendricks is better than Luka, and Simone and should get minutes from day one. I wish we didn't trade for Collins. I hate that coaches defer to vets

I would say it is the opposite. Most top 10 guys come in and get regular minutes right away. By regular minutes I mean at least 10-15 minutes a game. Unfortunately he is in a unique situation where we already have 4 legit bigs worthy of minutes.
Also, we haven't played any real games yet lol

I like Luka...... **** him though. Play Tay Henny

I wouldn't be all that sad if they did not pick up Luka's, Yurtseven's and finally Dunn's guarantee. I know Dunn's will be controversial but is he a future building block piece? He has done everything right and what was asked of him but hey this is a tough crowd and business. We need to save Ryan some cash.
Dunn is on a minimum, and Yurt7 is a great insurance policy should anything happen to Kessler for an extended period.

Hardy has proven thus far that he can maximize players, and I believe he will choose the correct path for Hendricks to maximize him as well. What that maximum is remains to be seen, but Hardy has so far praised the three more than politically required of him.

I dont see a wolf yet, so wont cry for one.

I'm convinced @Handlogten's Heros has this schtick about being a middle aged dude in Sacramento, but is actually Sarah Todd or David Lockeheim.
I am a real person… what just cuz I enjoy the Jazz, like Built Bars, and appreciate the value and safety features on a good Hyundai I’m David Locke?

Hardy has proven thus far that he can maximize players, and I believe he will choose the correct path for Hendricks to maximize him as well. What that maximum is remains to be seen, but Hardy has so far praised the three more than politically required of him.

I dont see a wolf yet, so wont cry for one.
I don't think Hardy has proven anything after just one year.

FWIW...
When I was younger I used to love this type of article but as I get older I realize it is basically an article about nothing. Despite what Sarah said about Hardy not having to say those thing he really didn't say anything in those quotes. He says he is working diligently but what else is he supposed to say. There is no reason for him to go out of his way to knock the kid. Hopefully he can work his way into some minutes but until that happens there are going to be a lot of questions. That is just the nature of the business.

I don't think Hardy has proven anything after just one year.
Proven was too strong of a word but by saying "thus far" it narrows it to last year. The team he coached exceeded their expected wins by 10, produced NBA MIP and 3rd place finisher in ROTY voting who was good enough for US NT.

Id say thats damn good job maximizing what you got.

In other "player being written off" news...

Sensabaugh did not play during the summer league after undergoing knee surgery in March, but that isn’t the reason he’s yet to record a minute in preseason.

“That’s kind of the way it goes,” Hardy said. “He’s done great, he’s playing well, he’s playing hard — but it’s a team. We have 20 players in camp, so it’s hard to get everybody playing time.”

Hopefully he sees the floor soon.

I have to agree with @Bawse Dawg that this thread and the article written by Todd have the opposite effect of their intention. When someone says there’s nothing to worry about….well it’s probably just better if it never had to be said in the first place lol.

OTOH, I don’t see it as a two game overreactions. If a player plays good or bad during a preseason game it doesn’t matter much to me. Imo, the most important thing is that the pecking order is revealed. It’s a reflection of how the coach feels about each player and that’s a summation of training camp and everything else that has come before. What was shown isn’t set in and stone and what’s set for the whole season, but I think it does give insight of how things are going in camp. For players that are getting more PT that is expected I take that as a good sign they’re performing well. The opposite is true for players that are getting less than expected.

Now when it comes to TH….am I writing him off? Absolutely not. But when doing my draft evaluation on him I thought that one of his biggest positives is that he could fit into a valuable role easily with his skillset. Not only would this allow him to help the team early, but it would also raise his ceiling as he would be a player getting tons of minutes and reps early. So yeah, as someone who thought he was an NBA ready prospect I do think there is cause for some concern when he’s not ready enough to beat out players of the same caliber of Simone, Samanic, Yurtseven etc.

But the point of this thread is to bait out hot takes. So I guess I’ll just reiterate that I’m not writing Hendricks off…but I have to say that I did not expect him to be a G-League first kind of guy. I though his immediate fit was one of his best selling points as a prospect.

I have to agree with @Bawse Dawg that this thread and the article written by Todd have the opposite effect of their intention. When someone says there’s nothing to worry about….well it’s probably just better if it never had to be said in the first place lol.

OTOH, I don’t see it as a two game overreactions. If a player plays good or bad during a preseason game it doesn’t matter much to me. Imo, the most important thing is that the pecking order is revealed. It’s a reflection of how the coach feels about each player and that’s a summation of training camp and everything else that has come before. What was shown isn’t set in and stone and what’s set for the whole season, but I think it does give insight of how things are going in camp. For players that are getting more PT that is expected I take that as a good sign they’re performing well. The opposite is true for players that are getting less than expected.

Now when it comes to TH….am I writing him off? Absolutely not. But when doing my draft evaluation on him I thought that one of his biggest positives is that he could fit into a valuable role easily with his skillset. Not only would this allow him to help the team early, but it would also raise his ceiling as he would be a player getting tons of minutes and reps early. So yeah, as someone who thought he was an NBA ready prospect I do think there is cause for some concern when he’s not ready enough to beat out players of the same caliber of Simone, Samanic, Yurtseven etc.

But the point of this thread is to bait out hot takes. So I guess I’ll just reiterate that I’m not writing Hendricks off…but I have to say that I did not expect him to be a G-League first kind of guy. I though his immediate fit was one of his best selling points as a prospect.
The collins trade definitely changed things.

Like if we would have traded for a vet established point guard with a proven track record and skillset then george would probably drop down the pecking order and we probably wouldn't have seen him play yet. If we still had conley we probably wouldn't be seeing george play.
Its just hard for a rookie who was hurt during the summer to beat out KO, Collins, Lauri, and kessler for minutes.

If we didn't have collins then i bet Hendricks would be getting more minutes in these two games.