Starting SG for the Jazz?

• Burks

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Hood

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • They should keep looking for a better SG

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
Jazz need to trade their 2016 pick and burke to move up. Take on Salary if needed. Get a difference maker. They already have a good core of 6-7 guys that can all contribute, and 1 more good player (Hezonja, Russel, Johnson) would really fill out the team pretty well. Hood is good with the starting unit, but would also be good in the second team. I personally would like Johnson, because the starting defense would be unreal, but the other 2 could really compliment the team pretty well too.

*complement

I was liking what Burks was doing in the starting line up before he got hurt. So I'm not really sure what I'd like to see... Hood seems like the better player to put with Exum though...

honestly, i think people are under-valuing Burks, and unempirically over-valuing hood.

abrh_mock_zps9ajuynae.png

Burks is better at nearly every facet of the game. I might be in the minority, but i stand behind burks until hood shows he's better (for real).

btw, over a similar amount of minutes played this season, burks has been far and away the better shooter. Hood may bust through that as he gets further from his injury, but keep in mind alec was showing tremendous improvement on his shooting.

well yeah, but we know Hood has been a great shooter throughout college. Burks has played a few years in the league. So sure we are over valuing Hood, but it's more like we are saying what he can turn into from what he's shown so far this season.

Really tough question. Really have no idea how to answer it. I will say Hood just cause I think Burks could absolutely dominate the 2nd unit better than Hood could.

Assuming the Jazz are unable to sign a starter-quality SG this summer, who should they go with as their long-term starter at two? Burks has experience, ability to score at the rim and defense. Hood seems to be a smarter player, better 3-point shooter and plays better within the system. And, oh, he also has the length, which seems to be the thing that the Jazz is looking for in their players. I am torn, but with every game Hood looks better and better compared to Burks.

Burks' wingspan is actually 2 inches longer than Hood's.

I vote Hood. Burks can do more with less around him.

I believe the numbers when they say that Burks is superior in every way, but he really made me scratch my head a lot earlier this season. I just remember him making a lot of odd decisions. Maybe it wasn't as frequent as I recall (Rather obviously I suppose, due to the numbers). And Hood does some dumb things at times, too, but he's a rookie (yet probably around the same age as Alec??? (Holy **** this team is as Jung as Carl)) and everyone ****s up once in a while so it's all good.

As long as Exum can turn into a playmaker I think having him Hayward and Favors out there would be good for Hood to start because they might not need as much playmaking from Burks. Hood can just hit open shots, swing the ball, and attack aggressive closeouts. I feel like Burks sometimes thinks he needs to actually put the ball in the basket himself or make the assist that leads directly to the basket in order to be making the correct basketball play.

I love every player on this team.

I believe the numbers when they say that Burks is superior in every way, but he really made me scratch my head a lot earlier this season. I just remember him making a lot of odd decisions. Maybe it wasn't as frequent as I recall (Rather obviously I suppose, due to the numbers). And Hood does some dumb things at times, too, but he's a rookie (yet probably around the same age as Alec??? (Holy **** this team is as Jung as Carl)) and everyone ****s up once in a while so it's all good.

As long as Exum can turn into a playmaker I think having him Hayward and Favors out there would be good for Hood to start because they might not need as much playmaking from Burks. Hood can just hit open shots, swing the ball, and attack aggressive closeouts. I feel like Burks sometimes thinks he needs to actually put the ball in the basket himself or make the assist that leads directly to the basket in order to be making the correct basketball play.

I feel ya.

Hood's about a year younger.

Hood is the better 3 point shooter and doesn't demand the ball as much. Burks is better at creating his own shot and can put a lot of pressure on any second unit in the NBA. Just seems clear that the best fit for each of them would be for Hood to start and Burks off the bench. If we got another starter in the draft or FA (Middleton, Matthews, Johnson, Hezonja, Russel) then have them both come off the bench. Pretty good set of wings coming off the bench, and May even have Burks do more of the ball handling. Would love to see back up PG's try to defend him.

I agree with this. But I am afraid after what happened with Kanter that it will just be the standard "a starter can't lose his position due to injury" no matter how much better the guy who filled his spot might be.

I like Hood for 3 reasons. . .

#1.) His shot is so smooth, that I can see him continuing to develop into a long range assassin. We constantly talk about the development of Gobert, Favors, Hayward and especially Exum. . . well Burks and Hood are both young and developing too. If Hood takes the kind of jump that we hope Rudy and Dante make, he might beat Burks outright.

#2.) I think Burks best role is as a scoring threat off the bench. Similar to how the Jazz instantly were better by flipping the roles for Exum and Burke, I think that Hood starting and Burks wrecking havoc off the bench will be a powerful tandem.

#3.) Neither guy is an elite defender, but they both try hard under Snyder. Hood's length just makes him a better fit for the starting defense. I like the length issues that the Gobert, Favors, Hayward, Hood, Exum lineup presents.

I agree with this. But I am afraid after what happened with Kanter that it will just be the standard "a starter can't lose his position due to injury" no matter how much better the guy who filled his spot might be.

Well it will be a new year so who the starters will be will be decided in training camp.

Hood, without any doubt. I never understood why we signed Burks to that silly contract, he hasn't proven anything and he can't shoot. Hood has a more well rounded skill set and fits in our starting lineup. Burks just isn't that good.

Hood, without any doubt. I never understood why we signed Burks to that silly contract, he hasn't proven anything and he can't shoot. Hood has a more well rounded skill set and fits in our starting lineup. Burks just isn't that good.

Burks is a better player than Hood. Think the shoulder really bothered him this year and people are forgetting how good burks was the second half of last year.

With that said I think we need guys to play roles. Burks is signed so he should be more willing to accept a bench role. I think that is what he is best suited for. Coach needs to point to players like Manu, Jamal Crawford, and Lou Williams to show how it was good for their teams and their careers to come off the bench. I'm impressed with Burks attitude and think he's mature enough to accept it in stride.

I'll take Burks. At least until Exum is better at attacking the rim/creating his own shot.

Really, though, the team won't have to make a decision on this until at least a few years from now. And maybe never. You need 3 good SG/SF-type players. And their skill sets compliment each other well.

Burks is a better player than Hood. Think the shoulder really bothered him this year and people are forgetting how good burks was the second half of last year.

With that said I think we need guys to play roles. Burks is signed so he should be more willing to accept a bench role. I think that is what he is best suited for. Coach needs to point to players like Manu, Jamal Crawford, and Lou Williams to show how it was good for their teams and their careers to come off the bench. I'm impressed with Burks attitude and think he's mature enough to accept it in stride.

Yeah but Hood is ahead of Burks in terms of where they were their rookie year.