Starting SG for the Jazz?

• Burks

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Hood

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • They should keep looking for a better SG

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
With Gobert and Favors both taking up space down low there won't be many lanes for Burks. We saw it early in the year with Burks and it plays a part in Exum not driving much as well.
Spacing is critical from both wing positions. If Burks 38% is real and sustainable, he could still be the choice, but I think Hood has the better form and slightly deeper range. Too early to say.

Assuming the Jazz are unable to sign a starter-quality SG this summer, who should they go with as their long-term starter at two? Burks has experience, ability to score at the rim and defense. Hood seems to be a smarter player, better 3-point shooter and plays better within the system. And, oh, he also has the length, which seems to be the thing that the Jazz is looking for in their players. I am torn, but with every game Hood looks better and better compared to Burks.

Have you seen Hood's arms? He has TRex Arms. His arm lenth in proportion to how tall he is make Shane Larkin's arms look like Rudy's

Have you seen Hood's arms? He has TRex Arms. His arm lenth in proportion to how tall he is make Shane Larkin's arms look like Rudy's

He has 6' 8.5 wing span. So no, he doesn't have T-rex arms.

As they say, it's all relative.

That is what a T-rex looks like, shorter wingspan than height.

hi-res-ebd073d9db9dd766b310ec7a80637cd4_crop_north.jpg

I'd keep both and evaluate fit for the starting lineup in preseason. All of our players are so young, and any change in one's game will affect the role of another.

Also, Alec is a career 35% 3 pt shooter, shot 38% this year (way better on catch and shoots, too), and is 6'6" with a 6'10" wingspan (which is elite for an SG). So I don't think the OP's argument about 3pt shooting and length hold a lot of water at this point.

Hood is definitely better in PnR, though, as Alec thinks you should run away from them. Alec is one of the league's best young players at puttingg pressure on the rim, drawing fouls, and finishing.

If I'm Quin, I wait to evaluate, because I can.

Hood is a more natural fit in Quin's system. Burks looked out of place most of the time. Hood has adopted faster than Burks has (Hood still has 200 less minutes than Burks in Quin's system).
This sums it up. Burks was learning to be effective without the ball to fit in the system, it was unnatural for him. He was getting really good at catch and shoot, but i don't think he realized that. I bet qs was forcing him to learn that before allowing him to simply create the way Hayward does now at times. He has elite ability to get inside and finish with contact and traffic. I think Quinn was trying to add outside shooting and defense. If he does then its burks all day. Right now Hood fits better, but Alec has a higher ceiling imo.

I'd keep both and evaluate fit for the starting lineup in preseason. All of our players are so young, and any change in one's game will affect the role of another.

Also, Alec is a career 35% 3 pt shooter, shot 38% this year (way better on catch and shoots, too), and is 6'6" with a 6'10" wingspan (which is elite for an SG). So I don't think the OP's argument about 3pt shooting and length hold a lot of water at this point.

Hood is definitely better in PnR, though, as Alec thinks you should run away from them. Alec is one of the league's best young players at puttingg pressure on the rim, drawing fouls, and finishing.

If I'm Quin, I wait to evaluate, because I can.
Agree.
Hood looks like a player who could hit >40% on his 3's. I think he's a better fit with our starting frontcourt. Burks coming off the bench seems perfect...if we don't have Trey. Alec is essentially a better version of Burke. He penetrates (but actually finishes), takes some 3's and generally needs the ball in his hands. He runs the offense when Hayward is out. That said, I do think Hood's play has possibly made Alec expendable. But it depends on if we sign a FA wing and/or get a really good one in the draft. But that decision is a year away. Having a rotation of Hayward/Burks/hood with minimal minutes from Ingles and Millsap should result in a much improved team.