What's new

HoopsHype: O'Conner enamored with Brandon Knight

Nice mischaracterization of Knights season. How the hell did you get 3 reps .. multiple screen names?

Sorry the facts hurt your feelings. He averaged nearly as many turnovers as assists (3.2/4.2), as a point guard that is a turnover machine. I have also talked to many Kentucky fans who watched him play every game this season. Their opinion? He is 100% a SG. And who are you by the way?

Who are these Kentucky fans you've spoken with? None, I assure, are as connected to the program as I am. Having said that, I'm not arguing the stats, I'm arguing your context. Knight has always played PG, but had to be the ONLY offensive option, his entire career, until his FRESHMAN year of college. The kid soaks up info like a sponge and he just got better and better as the season wore on. There are lots of freshman elite players out there, the difference at UK right now is that freshman are playing alongside other freshman.

What I'm saying, and not being combative, is Brandon would have had a much better assist to turnover ratio had he been playing with more maturity on the court. I'm not saying he's perfect, hell I'm not even saying he's a top 3 pick, I'm just saying your assessment of him, based solely on stats is incorrect.

He set UK's all-time freshman scoring record (against the likes of Wall, Rondo, Cousins, Bowie, Mashburn, Chapman, Prince, etc.)
Also number 1 (as above) in 3pt attempts and makes
Number 2 in assists (only to Wall)
Number 12 (all-time) in rebounds (as a 'whatever' guard)

Point is he's a stud ..

Sorry the facts hurt your feelings. He averaged nearly as many turnovers as assists (3.2/4.2), as a point guard that is a turnover machine. I have also talked to many Kentucky fans who watched him play every game this season. Their opinion? He is 100% a SG. And who are you by the way?

Deron averaged 6 points, 4.5 assists, shot 42% from the field, 35 from 3, and 53 from the line his freshman year. In fact, he shot 42% for his entire career there and only averaged 11 points. His turnovers were clearly better, but now he's a fairly turnover prone point guard. Oh yeah, and he and Deron are similar in size, with Deron having the only real edge in weight. In other words, your argument has no legs. Using college stats to back up your point does nothing for you here. Brandon was CLEARLY a much improved player at the end of the season compared to the beginning, which is what we want to see. His improvements were dramatic, he's leadership was apparent, and his desire to win didn't falter for a second. This kid is good.

And in no way am I saying that Brandon Knight is the next Deron Williams, just saying that college stats can be deceiving when evaluating a player, especially a freshman.

Who are these Kentucky fans you've spoken with? None, I assure, are as connected to the program as I am. Having said that, I'm not arguing the stats, I'm arguing your context. Knight has always played PG, but had to be the ONLY offensive option, his entire career, until his FRESHMAN year of college. The kid soaks up info like a sponge and he just got better and better as the season wore on. There are lots of freshman elite players out there, the difference at UK right now is that freshman are playing alongside other freshman.

What I'm saying, and not being combative, is Brandon would have had a much better assist to turnover ratio had he been playing with more maturity on the court. I'm not saying he's perfect, hell I'm not even saying he's a top 3 pick, I'm just saying your assessment of him, based solely on stats is incorrect.

He set UK's all-time freshman scoring record (against the likes of Wall, Rondo, Cousins, Bowie, Mashburn, Chapman, Prince, etc.)
Also number 1 (as above) in 3pt attempts and makes
Number 2 in assists (only to Wall)
Number 12 (all-time) in rebounds (as a 'whatever' guard)

Point is he's a stud ..
I like Knight and Kanter. I think with all of the many possibilities of players slipping or the Jazz trading up or down, the likelihood that ONE of them is the Jazz's pick are VERY high. And while you may be a UK insider with some valuable information, how can anyone expect objectivity in your analysis?

Yeah, I really dont think we can lose with the #3 pick. We will either get Kanter, Knight, Williams, or Irving. I'm excluding Walker because he doesn't seem like a player the Jazz would usually be interested in. Each of those players has good upside and potential.

If I had to predict KOC's current draftboard I think it would look something like this.

1. Irving
2. Williams
3. Knight
4. Kanter
5. Vesely
6. Walker
7. Donatas
8. Jonas
9. Leonard
10. Burks

I have to echo what others have said here, in that Knight was a MUCH different player at the end of the year than he was at the start. The kid was 17 running one of the most storied programs in history. Combine that with playing with a lot of other frosh and you're bound to have a lot of TO's.

I'm not ready to say Knight is my guy at 3, but I will say he will be a very good player in the league.