What's new

Hoopsworld - 5 free agents due for Huge Raises (Gtime in the list)

I hope we dont pay more than 10, 8-9 seems more fair, he's nowhere consistent- Id say Favors at 10 was a steal he's been most consistent of the young guns, even Burks of late is showing more consistently for what is expected of him.
Reality-That said Im sure we or someone will end up over paying

Good post, just want to say that favors is getting 12 mil per not 10 IIRC.

Hayward at:

$7M/year...a bargain!
$8M/year...just about right.
$9M/year...little too much but still fair
$10M/year...definitely overpaying, this would be the max offered
$11M/year...not worth it at all, just walk away
$12M/year...no way
$13M/year...no ****ing way
$14M/year...go **** yourself G-time.

Sums it up perfectly.

Good post, just want to say that favors is getting 12 mil per not 10 IIRC.
True thats right I remember now there were incentives, still even at 12mil Favors is closer to being worth that than Hayward 10. Stephenson, Hayward, Parsons- the first to get a contract will sort out what the others get- the typical " I want that much or Im worth more" will start. Question is if Hayward gets to 11+ elsewhere would we be ok with Burks being resigned for 7-8 4 years, at the risk of being burnt if Hayward gets 10/11+ elsewhere I'd be happy to resign Alec to that much especially if we get a top 4 pick.
Someone will end up overpaying better not be us, that said isnt it true only we can offer a five year contract, others at most four?

a guy shooting 28% from the 3 point line. He only should get 8.

10 is lunacy

While I agree with most that Hayward should be getting between 8-10 Mill. I Disagree with this argument.

Haywards first 3 years in the League he shot 47%, 35%, and 42% from 3. I don't think most GMs are looking at his percentage right now knowing he is in a completely different role that he is trying to adjust to while being a focal point of the defense. I would look at a 3 year track record over a half of a season with all those factors any day. Most good 3rd options in the league right now are making 9-11 million. So him getting that kind of offer wouldn't surprise me at all.

Let me get this straight. We let Wes Matthews go for 6 mil a year, and we are talking about paying Hayward 10-12........

Let me get this straight. We let Wes Matthews go for 6 mil a year, and we are talking about paying Hayward 10-12........

58b60830d26ef5b1f63fd4edb732fe5c220cba41465f207836d5bf861c5ece40.jpg

Maybe a contract laden with incentives?

He won't take 10 mil. Someone will pay more. As we see in the article, and from commentators of other teams, hes overrated by almost everyone.

Do we....A) offer him 11? Or B) draft Gordon and Mcdermott and call it a day. I'm more for B right now.

i do agree with rev. hayward seems to be insanely over-rated by commentators of other teams. I think he will not be in a jazz uniform next year tbh.

Let me start by saying I really liked Hayward his first couple years, and often defended him in the frequent hours of his youthful mistakes.

I'm now at the point where I question whether Hayward is ever going to really be anything other than a decent role player. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes for us to trade him now and move on. We might be able to get a mid- to late-first rounder for him. That would help with the tank short term. It would help long term too, not getting stuck with an AK-47-esque noose of a contract that he'll be likely to be asking for (not that I'm saying he'll get one as big as AK's was).

Hayward's PER is worse then DeRozan's or Batums. Why should he get paid more then them? 7-9 mil sounds about right.

Hayward's PER is worse then DeRozan's or Batums. Why should he get paid more then them? 7-9 mil sounds about right.
Because teams pay young guys based on potential and overall stats. One bad season is not going to put much of a dent in Hayward's value. He's going to have some key pursuers, with Boston and Phoenix likely showing major interest. That will drive his value up.

"Hayward and the Jazz came close to an extension over the summer but ultimately decided to wait, and so far he’s done nothing to dissuade them from giving him every last dime he’s expected to ask for."

-said by noone who actually follows the game of basketball

Because teams pay young guys based on potential and overall stats. One bad season is not going to put much of a dent in Hayward's value. He's going to have some key pursuers, with Boston and Phoenix likely showing major interest. That will drive his value up.

So in general you agree that he is most likely will be overpaid based on some potential ( unseen by us Jazz fans so far) and not on what he has shown on court?

Stephenson, ok, probably. Given that there's so much pressure applied to Hibert and George, I'm curious to see how well he'd do on a jazz or kings team.

Deng? That guys just as inconsistent, and there's health concerns (see British Olympic team history)
Deng is also reaching those father time years.

I have nightmare's that we will resign Hayward for 11 or 12 million a year. I really like the guy, I liked it when we drafted him and I like his great games. But he is way to inconsistent. Puts up duds, misses tons of shots and cant create his own shot well. I really like the guy, but c'mon, no way he is worth 12 mill. I wouldn't pay him extra based on his 'potential'. He has been in the league for 4 years now and has been given the green light more than any other player on the team. What you see is what you get with him. Don't expect him to improve leaps and bounds on his next contract