What's new

House and Paschall

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
We need these guys to get more minutes. Can they replace Royce, or JC or just get 10-12 off the bench for a scoring a defensive punch?

Here is a good article on them both.

The tough thing is this part. Snyder is too rigid in his rotations and unwilling to try anything new unless it jumps up and smacks him in the face, like Mitchell in his rookie year.

Quin Snyder doesn’t often change his rotation. He finds a schedule that works, and he sticks to it.

Unsurprisingly, Utah Jazz fans often disagree with Snyder’s rigid approach and wish he would make more adjustments throughout a given game, or even over a season. Snyder isn’t completely immune to change. When a rookie Donovan Mitchell proved himself a young star, he quickly claimed the starting spot. Undrafted rookie Royce O’Neale earned minutes through hard work and intelligent play. Ed Davis lost his rotation spot to a young Tony Bradley. Coach Snyder is willing to bend when he believes it is the right move.

Right now, Quin Snyder’s rotation is pretty much set in stone. After the trade deadline, though, that may not be the case. Utah may be able to get away with trading two rotation players for one higher-level player because they have capable wings waiting on the bench. House or Paschall could take rotation minutes today and immediately provide value. Will they be given that chance?

Tony Bradley is an example of Quin being willing to change? Yeah, whatever.

Question is, will Quin notice the improved play of these 2 guys and get them more into the regular rotation. Are we better off with Ingles and JC and Royce playing fewer minutes so House and Paschall can play more? Or does their improved play mean we can part with Ingles JC and maybe even Royce to get a higher-level player?

My bet is they get buried again and Quin stays on his course. Trust the system. Live the system. Never question the system. The system is life.

Maybe it is just time for a new coach.

EP has proven he can score. The dude tends to shoot a good percentage when he plays and can score in bunches. There's zero reason why Snyder shouldn't give him some of Royce's minutes. Heck, I would prefer to see EP starting over Royce.

I like House - he's new and hasn't proven himself to the degree EP has but I like him for his 3&D capability. House makes Royce expendable. If we could move Royce and sign House to something multi-year the Jazz would have some extra money to play with.

Unless a trade is made of an injury forces his hand Quin will stay with his rotation. Just need to bang your head a little harder as has be stated before.
More than anything Paschall and House bring much needed energy. Paschall can also be a bit of a bully which this team sorely needs. A stint in protocols for an asymptomatic Quin may be a blessing for this team.

This sort of reminds me of that saying in football that the most popular player on the team is the backup quarterback. Role players in basketball tend to be inconsistent. I guarantee you that if we got rid of two rotation players and replaced them with House and Paschall the honeymoon phase would be short lived. Playing big minutes over the course of a grinding 82 game season, they would go through rough patches and slumps just like the guys we currently have in the rotation, and their weaknesses and deficiencies would start to show more and more. Soon fans would grow tired and frustrated with them and the same ones clamoring for House, Paschall and Hughes to get more minutes would soon be complaining because the new 10th, 11th and 12th men on the bench aren't getting enough minutes and aren't in the rotation.

We need these guys to get more minutes. Can they replace Royce, or JC or just get 10-12 off the bench for a scoring a defensive punch?

Here is a good article on them both.

The tough thing is this part. Snyder is too rigid in his rotations and unwilling to try anything new unless it jumps up and smacks him in the face, like Mitchell in his rookie year.

Tony Bradley is an example of Quin being willing to change? Yeah, whatever.

Question is, will Quin notice the improved play of these 2 guys and get them more into the regular rotation. Are we better off with Ingles and JC and Royce playing fewer minutes so House and Paschall can play more? Or does their improved play mean we can part with Ingles JC and maybe even Royce to get a higher-level player?

My bet is they get buried again and Quin stays on his course. Trust the system. Live the system. Never question the system. The system is life.

Maybe it is just time for a new coach.
Fewer minutes for Royce at the 4, and fewer minutes for JC and Ingles in general would help a lot. If I could, I would put Joe in cold storage until the playoffs, I think rest is the only thing that might help him bounce back.

I’m hoping and am slightly more optimistic than others that Quin will start using one or both of them more. Covid protocols forcing his hand might be the catalyst that’s needed. I’d still only view them as the 8th or 9th guys on the depth chart, but even a small tweak to the lineup could go a long way.

EP has proven he can score. The dude tends to shoot a good percentage when he plays and can score in bunches. There's zero reason why Snyder shouldn't give him some of Royce's minutes. Heck, I would prefer to see EP starting over Royce.

I like House - he's new and hasn't proven himself to the degree EP has but I like him for his 3&D capability. House makes Royce expendable. If we could move Royce and sign House to something multi-year the Jazz would have some extra money to play with.
I like both of them but this is putting the cart miles ahead of the horse. I wouldn’t start Paschall over Gay, let alone Royce. And trading him away for some journeyman that’s looked ok for a couple games? Cmon man. The Royce disrespect is staggering, he’s been nothing but consistent and reliable for years now. He has the highest 3 pt % on the team for cryin out loud.

O'neale has to play hard to be effective. I think limiting his minutes to about 24 game will improve his play and leave room for Paschall.

I have decided I am the Captain of the House of House. I think he might be better in the 3 and D role than Royce was this year. Paschall is more situational but needs to play more. Even its us going small. Hassan won't be playable in the playoffs... I'm fairly sure of it. Its our best chance at a 5 out lineup... get wild because it ain't like we getting the #1 seed.

I have decided I am the Captain of the House of House. I think he might be better in the 3 and D role than Royce was this year. Paschall is more situational but needs to play more. Even its us going small. Hassan won't be playable in the playoffs... I'm fairly sure of it. Its our best chance at a 5 out lineup... get wild because it ain't like we getting the #1 seed.
I think Whiteside will be playable in given circumstances, but for very limited minutes, and he is more about Gobert insurance than anything else.

I would love to see what House could do starting in place of Royce. At the very least bring a higher level of energy to the starting lineup, which we really need tbh.

I think Whiteside will be playable in given circumstances, but for very limited minutes, and he is more about Gobert insurance than anything else.

I would love to see what House could do starting in place of Royce. At the very least bring a higher level of energy to the starting lineup, which we really need tbh.
I also cringe every time Royce takes more than two dribbles and House does not illicit that reaction... yet.

- Right now I'm just a bit short of thinking House shoul start
- Coach should take minutes away from Joe, Jordan, Royce and start mixing up with Elijah and Jared out there
- Not exploring the options at hand could/should affect Coach's future

Sent from my SM-G780G using JazzFanz mobile app

I can't remember if I said this in any other thread but when Forrest is getting his minutes (when the team is healthy) to me he can't or shouldn't play with Royce they for offensive reasons and they should not share time on the court. To me this is the perfect time to take Royce out and play Paschall or House, it's not a lot of minutes but it is a reasonable spot IMO for one of them to pick up some minutes.

I like both of them but this is putting the cart miles ahead of the horse. I wouldn’t start Paschall over Gay, let alone Royce. And trading him away for some journeyman that’s looked ok for a couple games? Cmon man. The Royce disrespect is staggering, he’s been nothing but consistent and reliable for years now. He has the highest 3 pt % on the team for cryin out loud.
Royce doesn't have the highest 3PT% on the team. Not true. Also, he only makes 1.4 threes per game, which is minimal (and 2.6 FG made per game... seriously). For playing 30+ minutes a game Royce doesn't do as much as a legit forward could do for us, including on the defensive end. I blame Snyder for this. I would 100% and would start EP over Royce.

What I really like about Paschall are those bully plays at the rim, he gets to shove people and force the bucket. That's something that is useful when you're going through those droughts when you can't hit anything or when small guards struggle against long, athletic defense.