What's new

Houston..

on of my favorite comic books that pitched the left and right against each other!

Adrian Veidt: It doesn't take a genius to see that the world has problems.
Edward Blake: No, but it takes a room full of morons to think they're small enough for you to handle.

Nope. Dollars of damage is a direct measure of economic progress and population growth in these areas. Based on the established measures of the force of the storm it isn't in the top 10. Out at sea Irma was the strongest ever recorded in the Atlantic, but it lost a lot of force as it approached land. It was the 3rd strongest storm to hit the Caribbean I believe, but in sheer size it was one of the largest. From the standpoint of miles of coverage Harvey was quite a bit smaller than Katrina, while Irma was significantly larger than Andrew, for example, but had a smaller force when it made landfall. In lots of ways we got lucky that Irma wasn't significantly stronger when it made landfall or it could have been incredibly devastating. Now the damage done in the Caribbean by Irma was record-setting, but it was greatly diminished luckily before it hit Florida.

edit: I googled it again and saw that they added Irma into the list at #7 for pressure at landfall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Irma

Wasn't the question what was so much worse about Irma than the others? You still stated strongest on record, regardless of what it did on land.

Wasn't the question what was so much worse about Irma than the others? You still stated strongest on record, regardless of what it did on land.

What are you talking about? If it is a billion times stronger on the Atlantic where it can cause virtually no damage and then weakens to a category 1 or a tropical depression by the time it hits land that is irrelevant. It was not some epic mega-ultra-end of the world-storm-of-the-century thing. It was a very strong storm that did a lot of damage, much like many other very strong storms that have done a lot of damage historically speaking.

What are you talking about? If it is a billion times stronger on the Atlantic where it can cause virtually no damage and then weakens to a category 1 or a tropical depression by the time it hits land that is irrelevant. It was not some epic mega-ultra-end of the world-storm-of-the-century thing. It was a very strong storm that did a lot of damage, much like many other very strong storms that have done a lot of damage historically speaking.

so i think he wants to compare this storm at sea, to the others on land. so it fits the narrative! but everybody with half a brain knows storms are stronger at sea where they are created and grow, and then go to land to die!

dammit they gotta do everything to force a square in a round hole so the narrative can go forward!

The evidence does show that we have had an increase in the number of "named" storms over the past few decades, but they are not any stronger when they reach landfall than storms were in the past. Really the worst decades on record for this so far were the 20's and 30's when many of the strongest storms on record reached landfall. We were just lucky back then that the number of people and the requisite infrastructure in these areas were much lower back then, hence less of an opportunity for large-dollar damage results but the death tolls were still just as high or higher despite lower population numbers.

Sure

Florida gets hit with deadly tropical storms just about every year. Low-elevation cities on the gulf are susceptible to getting hit. Most areas aren't as populated as Houston, obviously. Is this storm really worse than others of the past 15 or 20 years?

There was no question or qualification on how, or by what means, this storm was worse than others.

Measurably, Yes. It was. There was no mention of when it hit ground, just the storm itself.

Sure

There was no question or qualification on how, or by what means, this storm was worse than others.

Measurably, Yes. It was. There was no mention of when it hit ground, just the storm itself.

You don't reading comprehension, do you? Did you miss this part, that set the qualification of "worse"?

Quote Originally Posted by Catchall View Post
Florida gets hit with deadly tropical storms just about every year. Low-elevation cities on the gulf are susceptible to getting hit. Most areas aren't as populated as Houston, obviously. Is this storm really worse than others of the past 15 or 20 years?

So the parameters were cities being hit by deadly storms. Not simply most power recorded anywhere on the track of the storm. By this measure, what catchall was actually asking, no it was not really far worse than many other storms in the past, and even from measured pressure it was 7th when it made landfall. Strong storm sure, but not the strongest ever that made landfall, which was the original comment/question.

The evidence does show that we have had an increase in the number of "named" storms over the past few decades, but they are not any stronger when they reach landfall than storms were in the past. Really the worst decades on record for this so far were the 20's and 30's when many of the strongest storms on record reached landfall. We were just lucky back then that the number of people and the requisite infrastructure in these areas were much lower back then, hence less of an opportunity for large-dollar damage results but the death tolls were still just as high or higher despite lower population numbers.

named storms also because of better technology to track storms!

You don't reading comprehension, do you? Did you miss this part, that set the qualification of "worse"?

So the parameters were cities being hit by deadly storms. Not simply most power recorded anywhere on the track of the storm. By this measure, what catchall was actually asking, no it was not really far worse than many other storms in the past, and even from measured pressure it was 7th when it made landfall. Strong storm sure, but not the strongest ever that made landfall, which was the original comment/question.

The question was still is this storm worse. Not did it do more damage, effect more people, blah blah blah.

An argument can be made that the intent was "I see Florida get hit with deadly tropical storms just about every year." Catchall may have meant 'compared to the damage of other storms that usually hit southern states, is this storm worse'? He could also have meant 'compared to other storms, was this stronger', 'was this really the first cat 6 storm we've seen?' or even 'does the name irma worse than katrina, sandy, harvey, or andrew'?

But none of that is written, is it? There's a few observations, and a question. Nothing connecting them, there's no data points he's specified, or a bar of which to judge, or even a timeline of when to look at the bar.

I don't know what Catchall considers worse. Whether he's trying to discern which state needs his donation more, or asking is climate change making for stronger storms, or even trying figure out what he wants his/her romantic partner to call his/her private parts.

Right now, it's the deadest it's ever been. For obvious reasons.

I have seen some try to push a fantasy where the forum was the fulcrum of civilization in 2005 or something, where world changing ideas were being thrown about by some of America's greatest mental giants. Then they left, and the forum turned to ****, with inferior posters like Dalamon (yuck!).

For the record if the JFC sold stock I'd be buying right now.

Sure the discussion has dumbed down some, but it has across the entire Internet IMO. This place is unique and I truly believe this site will stand the test of time.

On a side note I wanna start a thread about basketball education, discussion about the x's and o's of b-ball, where should I do that?

The question was still is this storm worse. Not did it do more damage, effect more people, blah blah blah.

An argument can be made that the intent was "I see Florida get hit with deadly tropical storms just about every year." Catchall may have meant 'compared to the damage of other storms that usually hit southern states, is this storm worse'? He could also have meant 'compared to other storms, was this stronger', 'was this really the first cat 6 storm we've seen?' or even 'does the name irma worse than katrina, sandy, harvey, or andrew'?

But none of that is written, is it? There's a few observations, and a question. Nothing connecting them, there's no data points he's specified, or a bar of which to judge, or even a timeline of when to look at the bar.

I don't know what Catchall considers worse. Whether he's trying to discern which state needs his donation more, or asking is climate change making for stronger storms, or even trying figure out what he wants his/her romantic partner to call his/her private parts.

Do the straw men know you are their king?

Dear God man, please stop feeding tha alt-left trolls.

named storms also because of better technology to track storms!

There is actually something to this. I was reading somewhere that we record far more weather phenomenon now than they even could in the 20's and before, and there are some estimates that the 20's to the 30's could have had many more large tropical storms that just didn't get reported or tracked the way we do now, that it was likely the highest point for tropical storms to date.

For the record if the JFC sold stock I'd be buying right now.

Sure the discussion has dumbed down some, but it has across the entire Internet IMO. This place is unique and I truly believe this site will stand the test of time.

On a side note I wanna start a thread about basketball education, discussion about the x's and o's of b-ball, where should I do that?

General Sports forum. I would actually appreciate that thread, for what it's worth; I often feel like my knowledge of the x's and o's is still lacking despite how many years I've faithfully watched the Jazz.

General Sports forum. I would actually appreciate that thread, for what it's worth; I often feel like my knowledge of the x's and o's is still lacking despite how many years I've faithfully watched the Jazz.

I certainly know that mine is lol.

There is actually something to this. I was reading somewhere that we record far more weather phenomenon now than they even could in the 20's and before, and there are some estimates that the 20's to the 30's could have had many more large tropical storms that just didn't get reported or tracked the way we do now, that it was likely the highest point for tropical storms to date.

of-course their are far more factors.

we have satelites that could monitor rossie o donnels farts from space.

do you think 80 years ago we had any idea about a storm in the middle of the ocean.
when it was closer to land we knew about it!

since the left argues without logic. i might try some of my own,.!

these storms are pretty weak, they are giant female cats.

back in the day they used to claim more lives!

i think in a few years the highest category hurricane will be category 1

huricane season takes longer this year because of the guzzoline burned in the atmosfere!

let sburn leonardo dicaprio at the stake

he burned 1000's of gallons of fuel on his yacht! it is his fault!

CRUCIFY him!