What's new

How Afflalo was so wide open

prodigy

25sbsjb.png

210fzag.png

14ch2cw.png

24o4phg.png

so who was most at fault, raja or cj? or someone else

CJ. Why? HR left his man wide open for a three. Even if they hit a 2, its still a one possession game. If the ball goes to Lawson, Harris is quick enough to contest the shot. Millsap Had the middle taken care of and Harris sagged off on nenebut still gave him space to get to Lawson on the 3 line. Martin, let him take that shot. So yeah, its on CJ. Why he left his man who was what, 2-4 from long range is behind me. Especially that close to the end.

Ty Corbin now knows what most of us fans have known for a while; CJ can't be depended on when a stop is needed. Hayward would have been a better option defensively...

I think Prodigy might be hinting that CJ isn't to blame, because Bell got caught chasing his man, giving CJ no choice but to rotate to cover the wide-open mid-range jumper who Bell should have been guarding. Statistically, you'd rather let them shoot from three than from the free throw area. So CJ may not be completely to blame on that defensive play.

I wouldn't agree with that. I don't know if Prodigy's saying that. But it's another way to look at the play.

I didn't see the game last night, but looking at those images, I would say that the Jazz should have switched the pick and roll. Martin isn't good enough offensively to take advantage of the mismatch, and Kirilenko on Lawson isn't as bad as a wide open three.

Duh, he was open because no one was near him. Case closed.

I'd rather have them shoot a contested 2 than a wide open 3 when affalo was 2 of 4 from 3pt land.

Meh I think it was a combination of CJ missing his assignment and Bell not being able to keep up. I don't expect a lot more from a wing that is only worth $4 mill per year anyway.

It's on AK and Bell for playing poor p-n-r defense. Flash news - Utah sucks at defending high p-n-r.

On the post game show Ron Boone said that the Jazz help defenders are told to drop and cut off the guy with the ball coming off the screen. Locke then asked if this is really what they still teach and Boone said yes. Locke then went off saying that he believed this must change because of how good guys are at shooting the three in today's game; especially when guarding a 40%+ 3 point shooter like Afflalo. Locke hoped that this would soon change.

This seems like a relic left over from Sloan. Hopefully Corbin no longer tells his players to drop down and leave the 3 point shooter open and changes this going forward.

So, in a way it was CJ's fault, but he was doing what the coaches (at least under Sloan) had been telling them to do. And that is why the Jazz 3-point defense is one of the worst in the league.

If that conversation between Boone and Locke and the ensuing details is not a clear indication of how ancient Sloan was, I dont know what is. Corbin definitely needs to change some ****ing things...

Oh, also, Afflalo got open because the kid is a ****ing great player. I would love to have him on the Jazz. He plays with some ****ing fire.

Just another case of how terrible the defensive game plan of the Jazz has been for years. CJ defended it the way he has been taught. I have always disagreed with the way the Jazz play defense against 3 point shooters. I don't blame the players for a play like this because it was the game plan.

However the original bad defense to me is done by Raja and Ak. It should be the bigs that step up and help but it's just not how the Jazz defend this play.

I hope Corbin does not follow Sloan's defensive mentality next year when this is truly his team.