What's new

How Afflalo was so wide open

I think Prodigy might be hinting that CJ isn't to blame, because Bell got caught chasing his man, giving CJ no choice but to rotate to cover the wide-open mid-range jumper who Bell should have been guarding. Statistically, you'd rather let them shoot from three than from the free throw area. So CJ may not be completely to blame on that defensive play.

I wouldn't agree with that. I don't know if Prodigy's saying that. But it's another way to look at the play.

You could argue watching the development of that play that if CJ does not help it is a dunk for Nene. Millsap is going to be forced to step up and guard the ball penetration and Nene is in perfect position for a pass and dunk. Harris is helping down as he should but what chance would he have against a lob?

After looking at these pictures again I just don't get why Jazz guards don't go under the screens. If Raja goes under he is in position to stop penetration. Ak should be able to hold just long enough defend a shot if it comes. And Millsap is playing help defense while also trying to prevent the pass to Nene. If Raja goes under nobody on the team is forced to leave their spot to help. Also it is much more difficult to hit that shot off of a dribble that wide open standing by yourself. Better to make the ball handler take that shot than allow a pass to a player who is wide open.

You could argue watching the development of that play that if CJ does not help it is a dunk for Nene. Millsap is going to be forced to step up and guard the ball penetration and Nene is in perfect position for a pass and dunk. Harris is helping down as he should but what chance would he have against a lob?

After looking at these pictures again I just don't get why Jazz guards don't go under the screens. If Raja goes under he is in position to stop penetration. Ak should be able to hold just long enough defend a shot if it comes. And Millsap is playing help defense while also trying to prevent the pass to Nene. If Raja goes under nobody on the team is forced to leave their spot to help. Also it is much more difficult to hit that shot off of a dribble that wide open standing by yourself. Better to make the ball handler take that shot than allow a pass to a player who is wide open.
I see and understand your point and in some cases I would want the Jazz to do this but also change up so offenses aren't sure what the Jazz will do. In this case I would've preferred to force the ball out of Felton's hands and make him pass to Martin as soon as Martin set the screen as he's the worst offensive player on the court at that time.

If we could bring Afflalo here that would be great. Will they do CJ and pick for Afflalo?

With that much time left all you do is defend the 3 as tight as you can. If they score a mid range bucket it's still a one possession game. CJ should have stayed with his man and let Jefferson man the paint. Lawson would have pulled up for jumper or went straight to the rim for a contested layup. The blame goes to CJ or Corbin for not explaining the situation at hand.

Reactions: kwb
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the "we could've drafted him" complaint. I know he was the SG/SF guy I wanted over Almond but I'm not a big draft guy so I only had a small list of players in the Jazz range. Wonder how Detroit feels for trading him for basically nothing.

But then if they did the Jazz would've never signed Mathews last year.

*edit for those that don't believe me or remember the trade here's a darn link*
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-pistonstrade071309

I clearly remember the Jazz almost drafting Affalo. It was either Almond or Afflalo and and they really liked Afflalo's D but needed a scorer and took Almond. I just wish KOC would draft in the 1st round the way he does in the 2nd round and picking up undrafted guys

Like so many rookies, Afflalo struggled with the team drafting him. With hard work and a new environment, he is finally having a good year. Absolutely he'd be a fine Jazz-man; plays good D and is a better shooter than Wes Matthews

It was AK's fault for not hedging properly to let Raja recover which made CJ rotate over so we wouldnt give up a layup leaving Affalo open.

Also Afflalo would be perfect for this team. I think he is a similar but better version than WesMath.