What's new

How did Exum look last night?

I’m hoping for a Rubio-esque improvement on this three point shot at some point. I’d like it to get to the point that opposing fans consistently bitch about how “So, Exum’s a shooter now?” or “when is he going to miss?” or “freaking Exum is killing us from three!!!!” in future JazzAvenues post game threads.

With as big a threat as he is to get by you, and with Mitchell and Jingles running with him, there is no reason that he should ever shoot a contested 3. A screwed up shoulder probably hurt his development in this area just a bit. He will improve dramatically (he's below 20% now.)

I thought he played fantastic. Was his best game since being back so that's a good thing. It's just his damn shot is so awkward he makes Rubio look like Kobe.

I get it, but at the same time the way he scores, his ability to get ahead of his defender is legit. It is something he can do and that not too many other people can. He has a special skill set and that's exciting.

I don't see it. He looks really awkward to me, and defenses don't pay him much attention. You can't build a career on just a decent first step, specially when you can barely handle the ball.

It's been 4 years, and we still **** our pants when he has a game where he doesn't suck.

Oh well, why rain on anyone's parade. You guys have your fun.

With as big a threat as he is to get by you, and with Mitchell and Jingles running with him, there is no reason that he should ever shoot a contested 3. A screwed up shoulder probably hurt his development in this area just a bit. He will improve dramatically (he's below 20% now.)
Yep. If he can get to the point that he only shoots wide open threes and make 35% of them, I’ll be very happy with him. I thought his progress in this area during summer league looked very promising. Won’t get a better look at the results until next year.

No doubt in my mind that Dante Exum gets a long term contract from Utah this offseason - even if it’s an offer sheet that the Jazz match.

I think Exum leaves because he knows he has blow by ability and has to play behind the Shane Mack's and Raul Neto's and now Royce O'Neales that Snyder plays ahead of him.
Jazz can't hide him and think their going to sign him cheap when other GM's from losing teams and teams on the bubble see that he just needs minutes and he's on the verge of blowing up big time in production. Jazz will regret the day they chose Rubio over Exum at PG and that they made themselves a one man team offensively. Even the great "teams" of the past were more than a one man team.

I think Exum leaves because he knows he has blow by ability and has to play behind the Shane Mack's and Raul Neto's and now Royce O'Neales that Snyder plays ahead of him.
Jazz can't hide him and think their going to sign him cheap when other GM's from losing teams and teams on the bubble see that he just needs minutes and he's on the verge of blowing up big time in production. Jazz will regret the day they chose Rubio over Exum at PG and that they made themselves a one man team offensively. Even the great "teams" of the past were more than a one man team.
Exum is playing behind those other guys because he's like 3 games back from season-long injury. What the hell are you going on about?

Exum is playing behind those other guys because he's like 3 games back from season-long injury. What the hell are you going on about?

He's played 6 games and he's in his 4th year in the organization and he is not showing any limitations from the shoulder injury. Theirs discussion here because he already is showing abilities that can't be hidden from other teams looking for players ready to break out

He's played 6 games and he's in his 4th year in the organization and he is not showing any limitations from the shoulder injury. Theirs discussion here because he already is showing abilities that can't be hidden from other teams looking for players ready to break out
So he should be starting then? That's what you're saying?

Yup, he might get too big of an offer that we decide not to match. That would be a bitter pill for the Jazz.

Last edited:
But is he going to be our 3rd or fourth best player? We still need a borderline star to go with Don and Rudy. Jingles is perfect, we're lucky to have him. And will we pay Favors? Will Favors even want to stay?

Things are about to get complicated.

Exum looked really impressive in this game. The thing that is most impressive and that fans should be excited about is his ability to create a defensive scramble almost every time he drives the ball. That is an ELITE NBA skill that only Donovan has on this team. You put Exum in PnR and he is getting in the lane every time with ease. The real travesty is how much the Jazz have been sticking him in the corner the last two seasons. Such a waste of his best skill. This year they seem to be letting him handle it more, but damn he just creates open look after open look when he is allowed to run PnR, or iso on switches. I'd like to see even more. He should have the ball in his hands 2/3 of the time when he's in there at least.

I've been so disappointed with the basketball evaluation skills of many of our fans. Just some really basic and shoddy analysis of a player with a ton of potential. And it's mostly just because he looked raw offensively and then got injured and fans are dumb/ don't know what they are looking at. There is plenty of that in this thread. His ball handling has quietly not been an issue in the last two games. In both games he played really well and contributed to solid bench stints. It's a great sign that he is able to impact the game so early back from injury. His defense has been looking more and more comfortable. His first step is ELITE not just decent. His vision is good and will improve as he gains experience. Still plenty for him to improve on. The truth is that he just needs more minutes. I'd like to see him start taking all or most of Royce's minutes. He's just a much better prospect and I think will help the team more.

Nobody is giving X a big offer. Why the **** would they. Unless you mean something like 10m a year. Then ya, that's possible.

It's pretty standard for guys coming off injury to have restricted minutes. There's no doubt that Quin doesn't have a high level of trust for Dante right now as a big minutes contributor. I'd love to see dante get 20+ minutes for a while. Take a few away from Royce. I don't think it's realistic to expect more from Dante this year. But maybe next year he can challenge for a starting spot or at least an even bigger role.

Exum looked really impressive in this game. The thing that is most impressive and that fans should be excited about is his ability to create a defensive scramble almost every time he drives the ball. That is an ELITE NBA skill that only Donovan has on this team. You put Exum in PnR and he is getting in the lane every time with ease. The real travesty is how much the Jazz have been sticking him in the corner the last two seasons. Such a waste of his best skill. This year they seem to be letting him handle it more, but damn he just creates open look after open look when he is allowed to run PnR, or iso on switches. I'd like to see even more. He should have the ball in his hands 2/3 of the time when he's in there at least.

I've been so disappointed with the basketball evaluation skills of many of our fans. Just some really basic and shoddy analysis of a player with a ton of potential. And it's mostly just because he looked raw offensively and then got injured and fans are dumb/ don't know what they are looking at. There is plenty of that in this thread. His ball handling has quietly not been an issue in the last two games. In both games he played really well and contributed to solid bench stints. It's a great sign that he is able to impact the game so early back from injury. His defense has been looking more and more comfortable. His first step is ELITE not just decent. His vision is good and will improve as he gains experience. Still plenty for him to improve on. The truth is that he just needs more minutes. I'd like to see him start taking all or most of Royce's minutes. He's just a much better prospect and I think will help the team more.

Dudes were whiffing on Donovan when it was so ****ing obvious. Same with Dante.

Dante played his best game this season last night. He is still limited to driving to the hole, and maybe a catch and shoot 3. He looked good, but I think he is still more potential than actual talent. I trust WE have a better handle on who he is and who he can become than anyone in the league. If the Jazz let him walk it will be because someone is over paying him. It will be interesting to see what he gets and if we match the offers. If the FO matches a high offer it means we gonna be bad asses for years to come! Can't wait to see what happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

How many teams need PG's? The league was flooded last draft with guards. I dont see a huge market for Dante. Yes, we'll all likely bitch about his deal. But i see DL moving quickly to lock him up so he can reduce the cap hold and move on to other players. I predict more than the MLE but less than he likely thinks he's worth. Wouldn't be surprised by $10m-$12m.

Thanks for the responses.

I just watched the highlights and wasn’t impressed. He does have a super quick first step or two but still looks awkward af and does this weird ballet like layup thing that would make Freddie Mercury (who I love mind you) proud.

He’s a tough one to figure out. I can’t see anyone giving him more than about 7-8M given the fact that so few teams will even have money, he’s oft-injured, he’s played so little time in his four seasons, and he hasn’t shown that much in the floor time he has seen.

The flipside is, he’s an asset. An intriguing one. If someone does offer him 3/27, it would maybe prove wise to match, if for no other reason, than to have a solid bench player and a tradable asset as part of a bigger possible deal should one arise next season or during the summer of 2019.

Of course, the flipside to that and/or even re-signing Favors, is that it ties up cap space and could prohibit us from signing a big ticket name in free agency in 2019.

That’s why, for me, it makes a lot of sense to sign a frontloaded 1/1 of around 10M in year one and 8M in year two. This wouldn’t prohibit us from signing someone in 2019 and yet at the same time, if he looks really good next year and worth the 8M in year two of the deal, we could retain him. Quite frankly, he may not want to sign a 3-4 year deal because he may not want to be locked in at just 10M or so per year for that long, knowing that he can get a bigger deal in 2019 or 2020. Likewise, we probably don’t want to be locked in for so long on a guy who has this many question marks at the price tag I’ve thrown out there.

That’s sort of where I’m at with him right now.

Reactions: MVP
How many teams need 24 year old PGs who can't dribble or shoot, but have "potential".

None.

Dudes were whiffing on Donovan when it was so ****ing obvious. Same with Dante.
It shocks me people don't see the big potential in Exum. But it doesn't really matter. He will either live up to it and it will be obvious or he won't and his doubters will say see.

People bag on him mostly because he moves different. But he is elite at getting to the rim which is a rare and valuable skill. He has good court vision, his shot is okay despite what people say. He really just needs playing time to get comfortable. He plays out of control at times and beats himself up over mistakes or misses but striving to be great is a good attribute.