What's new

How did Exum look last night?

Keefe

I took some NyQuil and hit the hay by 9pm my time.

So how did he look? The more answers, the better.

Had a number of great drives and finishes at the basket, a few very good passes, generally looked good on defense. Hit a three, but even after hitting the first one, his nest two threes looked very awkward. No confidence in his shot at all. As a whole, positive game for Dante.

He looked fantastic. His drives were beautiful. He seems to have mastered the scoop layup shot when you don’t touch the ball with your non dribbling hand (like jingles but he finishes above he defender). His best drive was his only one that he attacked the middle of the floor. In he right side of the court he got by his man going left with his left hand and attacked hard and fast and finished over and through 2 defenders.
He had a couple of very very good passes and some other nice ones too.
Played great great defense.
Went to the line once and made both free throws.

The bad: His outside shot is still fugly and probably always will be. I have no faith in and he doesn’t seem to either. Defenses will recognize this and give him the outside shot and do everything they can to prevent the drive.
His handle is poor.
He still just looks goofy.

One other good thing..... I prefer him on the court over royce (Royce made both his attempts last night and played well too though. Dante was better)

He looked fantastic. His drives were beautiful. He seems to have mastered the scoop layup shot when you don’t touch the ball with your non dribbling hand (like jingles but he finishes above he defender). His best drive was his only one that he attacked the middle of the floor. In he right side of the court he got by his man going left with his left hand and attacked hard and fast and finished over and through 2 defenders.
He had a couple of very very good passes and some other nice ones too.
Played great great defense.
Went to the line once and made both free throws.

The bad: His outside shot is still fugly and probably always will be. I have no faith in and he doesn’t seem to either. Defenses will recognize this and give him the outside shot and do everything they can to prevent the drive.
His handle is poor.
He still just looks goofy.
That drive and finish you talk about had me salivating was a tough shot and finish and he made it look easy and effortless

The best part is he did a lot of this against one of the best back-up PG's in the NBA who would probably start for about a dozen teams.

Offensively, he looked waaay more aggressive than usual. He recognized the openings on the defense and drived quickly and purposedly towards the basket. On defense, he was conservative, mainly choosing to try to stay between his man and the basket instead of pressing or playing the passing lanes. Both his quickness and length worked on his favor, but he made at least one mental mistake on defense, that I recall - perhaps two. It was a very easy game, but he did well, IMO.

Royce went 1/2 missed his only 3pt attempt.

I saw him make about a 10 foot jumper and a layup.

Just checked the box score. He was 2-3. I must have missed his three point attempt

Somebody's going to offer Exum a ridiculous amount of money, aren't they? I was under the assumption that it wasn't going to happen, but those drives last night, not a lot of players can do that. . .

Somebody's going to offer Exum a ridiculous amount of money, aren't they? I was under the assumption that it wasn't going to happen, but those drives last night, not a lot of players can do that. . .

The concern has been that someone gambles big on Dante. GM's who saw his summer league play were probably already primed and a showing like last night to might bring their chips out. Nervous we might lose him. He could be a great fit for us.

And last night was just a taste. He's going to have a breakout game before the season ends. If he puts up 20 and 8 assists it's game over for getting him for a steal.

He played his best game yet but I still think he's struggling to find his role and gain chemistry within the offense. This is not all in him as I think the guys around him don't quite have chemistry with him either.

Don't take this the wrong way but I think he can become a poor mans Ben Simmons type player for this team. He has good to great court vision and can become efficient around the rim. As I said about chemistry, I think the players around him just need to learn that he will get them the ball in scoring position if they make the right cuts and reads but this takes an understanding from Dante as well. Unfortunately that is what off-season, pre-season and an 82 game schedule is for.

I’m hoping for a Rubio-esque improvement on this three point shot at some point. I’d like it to get to the point that opposing fans consistently bitch about how “So, Exum’s a shooter now?” or “when is he going to miss?” or “freaking Exum is killing us from three!!!!” in future JazzAvenues post game threads.

The Exum love fest every time he scores a few points is hilarious.

Reactions: MVP
The concern has been that someone gambles big on Dante. GM's who saw his summer league play were probably already primed and a showing like last night to might bring their chips out. Nervous we might lose him. He could be a great fit for us.

Really though, since we dealt Hood, I suspect matching or resigning Exum is a done deal. It is just a matter of how much.

The Exum love fest every time he scores a few points is hilarious.
I get it, but at the same time the way he scores, his ability to get ahead of his defender is legit. It is something he can do and that not too many other people can. He has a special skill set and that's exciting.

Exum looked excellent. Probably the best player on the floor when he was out there. Did a lot of his damage in short spurts. Looks like he can get to the rim any time he wants to, and most importantly he played really confident, assertive, and aggressive. In the past, he looked like a wet noodle trying to finish at the rim and that is no longer part of his game.

His shot sucks, and yes it probably always will. My only hope is he evolves into a decent 3-point shooter after 100,000+ shots each offseason for the next 5-6 years. We'll see.

But yes, I think he gets paid this offseason. And I think we should match whatever he does get because he could be a damn stud.